PDA

View Full Version : truck wont start

jayzus
01-15-2008, 11:06 AM
brothers!!! i need help... as usual.....
well lately my 4runner has been starting up when it feels like it.. on some days i will turn the key and nothing happens.. on other days i turn the key and it starts up like a charm. i cant seem to think about what it could be.. and i would say its my starter or something.. but no.. its brand new... someone mentioned something about the fuse box. . but.. i just want to hear what you folks think.. any help.. suggestions. ideas.. would be great.. more than likely it will be an electrical issue.

all_terrain17
01-15-2008, 02:47 PM
Sounds like the starter solenoid. Take it apart and check the contacts.

Robinhood4x4
01-15-2008, 05:21 PM
What kind of starter is it? Is it genuine toyota?

Does it click when you turn the key? Anything else happen?

4runnerchevy
01-15-2008, 07:00 PM
Cheap fix, It is probably contacts. 4Crawler.com has a set, cheap! Sounds like an ad, but I don't even know the guy.

jayzus
01-15-2008, 09:26 PM
well i turn the key.. you can here a little whinning noise from the starter but the truck doesnt crank... im not sure if its a genuine toyota starter or not.. but we got it at autozone.. because supposably the old one was broken..

04 Rocko Taco
01-16-2008, 06:04 AM
well if you got it at autozone, its pretty much a bet that it ISNT Toyota.
How long ago was the starter put on?

jayzus
01-16-2008, 10:13 AM
well it was installed about like a 1 week ago.. but it was running fine.. then all of a sudden the truck one day didnt start.. and then the next day it did.. its weird! i checked all the fuses yesterday everything seems to be fine.. so im not sure what to think

YotaFun
01-16-2008, 04:34 PM
I have the same problem,
I am just chopping it up to electrical gremlins.

Honestly, double check all your grounds and connections, there might be something loose somewhere.

Robinhood4x4
01-16-2008, 06:31 PM
well i turn the key.. you can here a little whinning noise from the starter but the truck doesnt crank... im not sure if its a genuine toyota starter or not.. but we got it at autozone.. because supposably the old one was broken..
So the starter is turning but it's not engaging the engine? It sounds like the pinion gear on the starter isn't reaching the teeth on the engine. Most starter problems people complain (not including the contacts) are a result of not using a real toyota starter. You need to go to the dealer to get one of those.

YotaFun
01-16-2008, 06:53 PM
So the starter is turning but it's not engaging the engine? It sounds like the pinion gear on the starter isn't reaching the teeth on the engine. Most starter problems people complain (not including the contacts) are a result of not using a real toyota starter. You need to go to the dealer to get one of those.

What if it is the stock Toyota starter?
Can the pinion gear wear down over time?

Robinhood4x4
01-16-2008, 08:42 PM
I doubt it.

jayzus
01-16-2008, 09:40 PM
ohh man.. well then does that mean ill need to buy a whole nother starter.. because when i was the new one in.. like i said the truck was running for a while.. but when i turn the key now.. all you hear is like.. beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.. where the starter is spinning but not engaging.. so possibly its because it doesnt go out far enough... dang.. sounds like this could be right!.. i wonder how much the starter will be?

Robinhood4x4
01-17-2008, 05:09 PM
I don't know, it's kinda hard to diagnose over the internet. You're going to have to do some investigating on your own. Verify that the engine is indeed not turning when the starter is indeed turning. Actually, I think that is a low likelihood, but who knows.

They way the toyota starter is designed, the starter won't turn unless it's fully extended.

jayzus
01-17-2008, 08:06 PM
dang well after about 2 weeks of trying to figure things out i just took it to the nearest toyota dealership and im going to let them diagnos it.. l.. sucks.. they are going to charge me 80 bucks just to figure out whats wrong with it.. plus from there the cost for labor and parts to fix whatever it is!

slosurfer
01-17-2008, 11:11 PM
You wouldn't happen to still have your original starter laying around? I bet all that was wrong with the first one was the contacts, if you still have it you could rebuild it and try that one. You are definately not the first one who has had problems with new aftermarket starters on Toyota engines. I believe Cooldry on here had problems with a brand new bosch starter on his landcruiser, he tried to diagnose everything else and it ended up being that he just needed a toyota starter.

4runnerchevy
01-18-2008, 05:49 AM
:horse: Pull the starter, take off the back cover, take a picture of the contacts, post it and someone will let you know if the contacts are bad (take good pictures). I guess you can also take a picture of the pinion. You won't know with the starter still on the truck. If your not inclined then take it to a mechanic. If you find out they are bad, then buy some ( a few bucks @ 4crawler.com ).

jayzus
01-18-2008, 08:15 AM
i could probably fill this reply with cuss words regarding my starter because im pretty sure thats what it was.. but when i got the new one at auto zone.. i had to trade in my old one.. fuck!.... so yea.. its at the dealership and it should get diagnosed today and ill hear whts wrong with it.. mroe than likely i will have to buy another starter.. or.. can i go to a junk yard and find a good starter there????

04 Rocko Taco
01-18-2008, 08:30 AM
You can get one at a junkyard, but its sort of the same deal, who knows what your actually getting. But you might luck into a good one, or one that is OEM Toyota that only needed a new set of contacts and still come out ahead of buying another crappy Auto Zone aftermarket. :)

slosurfer
01-18-2008, 05:15 PM
Any word on what the dealer said?

jayzus
01-20-2008, 10:58 PM
man ok.. check it out.. the dealer charged me 120 bucks.. 1.. they said my battery was dead. and two i have accidently switched my 2 and 4 spark plugs.. but somehow.. they like charged the battery and my truck started.. so they called me and said it was good to go.. i got home.. and there we go again.. same shit.. it didnt start.. so now i have to take my truck back in again!....

4runnerchevy
01-21-2008, 05:59 AM
Since you went to the dealer, I would make em get it right. Just think you will know a little more about starters when its all said and done.

jayzus
01-21-2008, 10:22 PM
ok gents.. ! i think i FINALLY

jayzus
01-21-2008, 10:23 PM
WOOPS.. HAHA.. OK .. I THINK I FINALLY found the issue as to why my truck would start and some times not start.. its my ALARM system.. supposably the starter kill switch or the computer is messing up on the alarm and it is killing all energy to my starter!.. so.. after about like 500 dollars in parts and labor. for all the other things i changed.. it turns out to be as simple as either re wiring my alarm or taking it out :) .. that sucks!

4runnerchevy
01-22-2008, 05:47 AM
Oh man, I am soory you spent so much money. I bet we are sorry that we didn't think of it earlier. Prestige alarm :chair:. Are you sure, its the alarm ? Disconnect it and try it.

Robinhood4x4
01-22-2008, 06:15 AM
From your descriptions we would not have thought about the alarm because an alarm would cut power completely to the starter. No click, no nothing. You had said the starter still turns but would not engage the engine.

jayzus
01-22-2008, 06:29 AM
well actually .. about the spin on the starter.. .. what i thought was a whinning noise was not the starter its like the fuel pump or something making noise before the start up.. but yea. i went to the local car sound and alarm store and they said its my alarm.... ive been running it fine for about 2 days now :) ..