PDA

View Full Version : 94 dlx xtra cab 22re 4x4 need help diagnosing squeal

Gavy50
01-18-2008, 10:24 AM
Hye guys wondering if maybe someone can help me pinpoint a problem. my truck is in great shape. bought it back in June it only has 53K original miles on it.

I did a full tune up and seafoam on it when i got it and it runs strong. however one problem i have is when I am in the truck at a complete stop and I have it in 1st gear when i go to start out I get this squeal it sounds loud inside the cab. but as soon as i am in 2nd gear it stops and won't happen again until i am at a stop and go to start out again. if it is sitting still idling there is no sound either.

I'm thinking it has to be something with the clutch but i'm also wondering if it could be a belt. its hard to figure out since it only happens when in first gear starting out while i'm releasing the clutch anyone have an idea??

[Edit - Good Times - Paragraphed for clarification]

Tankota
01-18-2008, 10:29 PM
Does it squeal if you rev in neutral? Does warm or cold make a noticeable difference? My immediate response would be belt slipping but its possible thats is something else. Never heard a clutch squeal like that though.

slosurfer
01-19-2008, 08:25 AM
Have you checked your alternator belt? Could be that at low rpms it is slipping but catches up when there are more rpms. Does your instrument panel have a voltmeter for the battery? If so, you may be able to see the volts drop when you hear the squealing, that's a good sign that it is your alternator.

Gavy50
01-21-2008, 05:52 AM
It does not do it in neutral and the temperature does not make a difference it does it warm or cold outside I do have the voltometer gauge i will see if i can see the volts drop so belt seems to be the consensus?

Tankota
01-21-2008, 07:38 AM
Sorry I ment engine temp. My alternator belt will squeel a little when the engine is cold, but it stops once everything warms up. One way to remedy this would be to buy some belt-stick spray. If your belts are glazed or hardened it will make the surface soft and tacky again.

Duffil
01-21-2008, 09:36 PM
if you stop and go repeatedly[think a flashing red light ;)] will it do it every time you let the clutch out?

1st gear from a dead stop will put the most load on your clutch. To isolate the trans from being junk, put it in 2nd and just let the clutch out a little. see if it squeals. squeal= probably a pilot bearing...no squeal=trouble in the trans.

Gavy50
01-22-2008, 07:56 AM
It will do it in second so your saying that means pilot bearing?? It will only do it if i try to start from second, if i start from first it will do it but once I shift to second it goes away once my speed picks up

Duffil
01-23-2008, 09:03 AM
that'd be my guess.