PDA

View Full Version : Basic tools to work on your vehicle

MTL_4runner
03-28-2007, 07:36 AM
Here's a good starting point list of tools anyone wanting to start working on their vehicle should have. This list is meant to be a bare minimum. People like myself are on the other end of the spectrum and need to have every tool for every job.....hey, it beats stamp collecting. :D

Basic Tools to Fix a Car

There are two types of people in the world. Those that tinker with their cars and those that do not. Having some experience fixing your own car can be a great help for minor break downs and in remote areas. When a car breaks down and there is a serious problem then there is often not much you can do about it. But if the problem is minor and you have the appropriate tools then it can help you to have some knowledge of fixing your car. This is also helpful in saving money as sometimes the auto shops charge exorbitant amount for simple fixes that can also be done by you, simply using basic tools. Having the correct tool and the knowledge of using that tool helps the car owner to know more about their car and at the same time saves a lot of money.

The following are some of the tools required by a car driver that maybe very useful at the time of car breakdown.

Oil filter wrench (there are different types, including cap, plier and strap type wrenches). You will have to decide which provides best grip of the filter, based on accessibility. I use a plier style wrench myself.
Catch pan (for capturing used oil and coolant....preferably one for working with each fluid)
3/8” basic socket wrench set, including sockets (only need metric sizes for Toyotas, preferably buy 6 point sockets because don't round off nuts/bolts like 12 points do) ratchets, extensions, adapters, and spark-plug sockets
Torx sockets or bits (metric sizes)
Combination wrench set (metric sizes)
Hex-key wrench set (commonly referred to as Allen wrenches)
Flare-nut fitting wrenches (most commonly used to help prevent the rounding-off of brake line fittings and bleeder fittings)
Fender cover (to protect the finish of your car while working under the hood)
Basic screwdriver set
Test light (for checking the availability of voltage and ground in circuits)
Multimeter (a more advanced electrical checking tool that provides readings of voltage, ohms, amps and sometimes more)
Slip-joint, groove-joint, needle-nose, and locking pliers
Torque wrench (a wrench that indicates the “tightness” of nuts and bolts)
Air pressure gauge
Radiator hydrometer
Penetrating oil (used to help free and lubricate seized or frozen fasteners)
Soldering gun & solder
Electrical pliers
Jack stands or Ramps
Wheel chocks
Hydraulic Jack
Battery charger

Items in red above are the BARE MINIMUM you should have for doing basic maintenance.

Paul H.
04-06-2007, 04:01 PM
You may also want to add a creeper so you don't have to lie on the cold dirty ground.
And Glove, mechanix type and latex, keeps hands clean while changing oil.

surf4runner
04-13-2007, 01:02 PM
:thumbup:

what about a BFH...
and duct tape :tapedshut: ?

gpcollen
04-25-2007, 10:51 AM
I have already NEEDED a 14mm, 12mm and 19mm ratcheting wrench. I should have bought the entire set the first time.

xcmountain80
04-26-2007, 06:15 PM
Im a basic tool does that count?

Aaron

mkgarrison5
04-27-2007, 10:43 AM
10mm is a very common size. my set didnt come with it.. go figure.. cheap ass set lol....

AxleIke
04-27-2007, 03:44 PM
Tools, like most things we buy for our trucks, are a "get what you pay for item". I pay top dollar for my tools, but not only will they last a life time, but my wrenches go from 2mm to 22mm.

This list is a good start, but to be honest, you'll end up buying tools as you need them, usually smack in the middle of something big

randver
04-27-2007, 07:37 PM
axleike is right. how about a list of tool's for the trail?

jimbo74
04-28-2007, 08:12 PM
what about duct tape and zipties?

97t4rnr
04-28-2007, 08:18 PM
Don't forget the breaker bar.

Ringmaster
05-03-2007, 12:48 AM
Portable Press aka Hammer.

Aluminum or brass punches or drifts.

Magnetic flashlight or a flashlight with some sort of hook to hang it under vehicle.

1/2" Breaker bar, with a length of pipe for a cheater.

Safety Glasses are a must, nothing like wrenching under a rig and have all the dirt/mud/crud fall into your eyes.

Emery cloth/Crocus cloth, or Scotchbrite pads, to clean up burrs on machined peices.

Seanz0rz
05-03-2007, 02:12 AM
a headlight, one that has a band that fits around your head. you look like a knob, or a miner, but they are so awesome, especially when working under the vehicle, or over the engine.

http://www.sportchalet.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=562638&cp=713364.1341398 for examples. they can be had at home depot and such.