PDA

View Full Version : 2004 4Runner RR door lock INOP

SLC97SR5
01-24-2008, 03:29 PM
I've got a 2004 4Runner SR5 Sport V8 4x4.

Last week the right rear door lock stopped actuating via the power door lock selector on the driver and passenger side doors. It does not operate via the key fob.

All other functions from the driver and passenger doors work as does the alarm when the RR door lock is "locked". The alarm will not arm when the RR door is unlocked.

The mechanism is able to operate freely when toggled by hand.

I partially removed the door panel (could not remove the tang at the top of the panel that locates into the window track) All wiring appears to be secure, the speaker works as does the courtesy light.

Any help on removing the door panel is appreciated- I searched on YT :tapedshut: but found nothing.

It appears the electrical portion of the latch is contained on or in the latch itself.

Any thoughts??

Thanks guys!

Good Times
01-24-2008, 05:46 PM
I thought you pop the panel up towards the window and the clips should pop off. I'll check the service manual to see if I can find that info for you to confirm. I'll post again tonight when I get home.

The latch mechanism may have gotten busted (since it is electrical). That's my first guess since everything else is fine.

SLC97SR5
01-24-2008, 10:09 PM
I thought you pop the panel up towards the window and the clips should pop off.

That's what I thought but after a few sharp upward blows it would not let loose so I stopped in fear of shattering those little clips.

Thanks for the help!

Any diagrams of the lock itself? I'm wondering if there are stop/proximity switches to tell the system what position the latch is in??

Dunno, this is my first go around with a 4th gen.

MTL_4runner
01-25-2008, 05:30 AM
The first thing you need to do is to get access to the latch mechanism inside (Lance can help you out with that). Unlike 3rd gens which use a purely mechanical latch system, the 4th gens use a mechanical latch actuated by a solenoid. It is important to isolate the problem so I put together a list below.

You need to check a few things:
1) are any fuses blown?
2) do you hear the solenoid click when the rear latch release button is pushed?
3) (once you have access) does the solenoid have power?
4) (assuming the switch is a negative ground type) is the switch grounding when pressed?

These should help you figure out what the issue is.

Good Times
01-26-2008, 08:13 PM
Here's the instruction for the removal of the inner trim:

3. Remove rear door trim board sub-assy lh
(a) remove the cushion rubbers.
(b) remove the 2 screws. (one in the latch and one at the arm rest)
(c) using a clip remover, disengage the 12 clips, remove the 12 clips.
(d) remove the trim board upward.
HINT:
In order to prevent the door from being damaged, cover the parts with tape (top edge of the trim by the sheet metal).
(e) Disconnect the 2 cables from the inside handle.
(f) remove the trim board.
(g) remove the inner weatherstrip.

Hope this helps.

SLC97SR5
01-31-2008, 06:57 AM
Well I got the panel off and pulled the lock mechanisim. I have power to the unit so I swapped it over to the left side...nothing.

I ordered the whole assy from Toyota for $150.00

Sounds like a bad solenoid, when I get the new part I'll open up the old one.