PDA

View Full Version : What vehicle security system do you use?

Tankota
01-27-2008, 11:48 PM
I've been looking into differant types of security systems and trying to choose an option that would be feasible for my truck. I know this old pickup is a very easy target for vehicle thieves. One problem with living in deep SoCal is that your vehicle is being sold at an auction or torn appart in a chop-shop south of the border within 45 minutes of being stolen.
So my quest now is to prevent it from being stolen in the first place.

I have considered options ranging from installing alarms to rigging an ignition cut off system and several other electronic solutions. But in a non OEM setup they could all be fairly easily disabled.

Now I have my eye on more physical means of anti theft. So far the most appealing device is the Grant No Wheel, No Steal system. I allows you to unlock and remove the steering wheel instantly with a key.

Does anyone have other ideas, tested or not. Have you, or do you know of anyone who has used this steering wheel security system. What do people think of Lo-Jack.

Just post up what you use to prevent your precious fourwheel machines from wandering away with strangers.

Clickey here.
http://www.grantproducts.com/pc-269-107-vehicle-security-system.aspx

http://www.grantproducts.com/images/PRODUCT/medium/269.jpg

YotaFun
01-28-2008, 06:32 AM
in my runner I use the stock system that came with it which was VIP alarm systems. They make arftermarket products I believe but I don't know.

Back when I had the olds cutlass I had an aftermarket alram with autostart. Avtel I belive was the company.

The min the alarm was activated a kill switch was set, so even if they got in without setting off the alarm they wouldn't be able to start it.
And when it was started and someone would try to put it in gear the car would kill itself and the alarm would go off and would not start till I myself would reset the alarm with my key in the ignition.

Seanz0rz
01-28-2008, 11:22 AM
crime stopper 2002, picked it up at some shady place for about 70 bucks. its a great alarm!!!

really easy to install. not all the bells and whistles i dont need (like remote start)

my experience with shielding easy targets like yours from theft: ignition cut off and fuel pump cut off, wires completely run in metal flex conduit and switches and whatnot hidden very very well (i did a momentary switch behind a plastic panel, you had to push the panel to start the truck)

ultimately, if they want it, they are going to get it. they will drag it up on a trailer or something. 500 bucks for lojack or more for something else is a bit steep.

surf4runner
01-28-2008, 02:06 PM
i know of a few w/the grant system and they all like it. they still have their cars too :D

ive also seen a lock for the clutch&brake pedals that makes it difficult to get at w/a cutting device.

none of it will stop it from being towed
thieves :flipoff:

YotaFun
01-28-2008, 02:27 PM
Try to get a fake clamp.
That will stop them from even trying :D

Tankota
01-28-2008, 02:28 PM
ultimately, if they want it, they are going to get it.

Yes, very true. My goal is to make them have to really really really have to want to go through all the trouble to get it. :tongueout:
I like the idea of a fuel cut off system. I could just install a solenoid on the fuel supply line, and have the switch in a hidden location.

I had forgotten about the clutch/brake pedal lockouts. Those would be great for parking somewhere for any extended time.

As for the towing issue, I have been thinking of installing a remotely controlled self detonation system. Just in case the buggers do decide to tow it and stash it in their garage.
Ka-fircken-Boom!!! :rofl:

Seanz0rz
01-28-2008, 02:41 PM
this vehicle protected by smith&wesson.

couple of .45 slugs in their chest and the only thing they are going to steal is a bit of tax payer money paying for the unnecessary ambulance.

Seanz0rz
01-28-2008, 02:42 PM
http://www.autolock.com/

i use one, suppose to stand up to just about anything...

Tankota
01-28-2008, 02:46 PM
HaHa, that works too. I need to get me one of them stickers.
My preferd security round is 3" 12ga high base double 00 buck. But then you have to pay a clean up crew too.

4runnerchevy
01-30-2008, 06:03 AM
Everything in my truck is locked or bolted down then locked. When I park I leave the doors unlocked, for fear of the crook cutting my vinyl. I use a ecu kill switch, which would take a good thief/electrician a good couple hours to figure out. I also use a cheap alarm from kragen, I bought 10 years ago for the doors and siren. If the thief is still too stupid to run, then a bullet to the leg and then a severe beating with my 1" drive torque wrench (for personal satisfaction).

slosurfer
01-30-2008, 06:33 AM
I've got one of these. (http://www.trunkmonkey.com/content/view/44/1/)

You have to keep it well hydrated though, especially in the SoCal summers. :hillbill:

4runnerchevy
01-30-2008, 04:45 PM
I've got one of these. (http://www.trunkmonkey.com/content/view/44/1/)

You have to keep it well hydrated though, especially in the SoCal summers. :hillbill:

Too funny lol.

slosurfer
05-03-2009, 09:05 AM
Well, due to the economy, I had to let go my trunkmonkey. And last night the 4runner was broken into. Well, I should say they got into it. I somehow left it unlocked. Last night we went to a friends house for dinner and right before we left, I jumped out and got in the 4runner to grab a sweatshirt. I know I hit the lock button, but I'm thinking I must have hit the wrong side of the button. I remember hearing it click and everything, but I didn't test the door. Anyways, this morning when I went out, the door was cracked open, stuff in the driveway, and all over the front. The got about $250 in cash and quarters (from a self serve carwash that I take care of) and my new stanley tripod LED flashlight. :flipoff: FAWKERS :flipoff: Somehow, they did not take my backpack (went through it somewhat and grabbed the flashlight) but it had probably 4 knives and various other flashlights, and other bugout type stuff. It was on the ground with most the contents spread around it. My gps was sitting on the seat and wasn't taken. My binoculars were in the driversseat back pocket and they didn't see them. MY CD's were sitting right there and not taken. They actually moved my XM radio to look in one of the cubbies on the dash and didn't take it. I'm so pissed my dog didn't hear them. :chair:

I've been planning on a kill switch for awhile, but what I'm after is a decent alarm that will have a key fob and work my door locks. Any reccomendations?

fustercluck
05-03-2009, 09:33 AM
http://smartdogs.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/rabid-dog.jpg

slosurfer
05-03-2009, 09:39 AM
:laugh: Too funny Fuster! I have one of those. Apparently he's broken as he only goes crazy when the neighbours are in their driveway or the UPS guy is across the street. :laugh: He usually goes nuts at anything near our driveway, so I'm a little dissapointed in the guy. :(

MasterWIII
05-03-2009, 09:42 AM
http://www.viper.com/ShopViperProducts/ItemDetail.aspx?ItemCode=3302V

Viper makes a great variety of alarms, and this one is a bit pricey, but does the job. Granted I live in a low crime area right now...but, great alarm!

Crinale
05-03-2009, 09:51 AM
ya, viper makes some good alarms, but they are all expensive... i dont know much about other alarm systems though...

slosurfer
05-03-2009, 10:48 AM
Okay, I'm going to check out the viper ones that best buy has. Only thing is it looks like most of them are on backorder. DOH!!

Should I even mess with an alarm or just do a keyless entry?

Any other DIY brands out there that are decent?

Really, this is a really low crime area and it was probably a group of kids roaming around jiggling car doors waiting for one that wasn't locked. The sherrif is out doing some probabtion searches right now, so we'll see what happens with that. Although since they only took two items, there's a slim to none chance of finding anything.

MasterWIII
05-03-2009, 03:20 PM
I would go for the alarm just because might as well do it right the first time. Later on down the road, you don't want to regret not having one.

Bob98SR5
05-03-2009, 03:28 PM
chris,

sorry to hear about that. just my 2 cents: sirens giong off are usually unnoticed or people just dont give a darn about them. As you experienced, you need to be there to wage numbchuck war on a perp going through your rig before you put them in a casket (haha). My thought is to never leave anything truly of value in your truck. The 2nd most important thing (besides your life) is to make sure the vehicle does not get stolen. Its less of a concern for you since youre in Central CA, but for LA and SD residents so close to Mexico, it matters more. I'd install some sort of manually activated engine start switch and a regular ol' keyless entry system. Much cheaper and less of a headache to install

RunnerUp
05-03-2009, 04:46 PM
i use to have a clifford (something basic just siren, auto door lock and remote start) and after my truck got broken into and they didnt even care about the alarm going off i went to viper... and had extra sirens installed inside the vehicle... lets just say that if you are in the truck when those sirens go off.. either your ears will bleed or you will get the hell out as fast as you can!

i forget what the actual name of the siren is, but its inside the truck, and LOUD!!!

slosurfer
05-03-2009, 06:41 PM
:thumbup: Thanks for all the suggestions so far! You guys rock! I keep flip flopping back and forth on the alarm or just keyless entry. I know in some areas, an alarm is just an annoyance and no one looks into it, but where I live, if an alarm went off in the middle of the night. Many of us would be out checking it out. Had April's truck had an alarm, it would have gone off when they tried the door handle to her truck.

But then I do see the annoyance of the alarms as well, and like the ease of just installing keyless entry. I like the idea of the alarms inside. :thumbup:

Kill switches are on the to do list, starting with the van (this is the only one I'm worried about getting jacked here where I live), and then the 4runner which I'm more worried about when I travel with it.

slosurfer
05-03-2009, 07:01 PM
I found and killed a ginormous black widow today. I should have caught him in one of those coffee cans, stuck a couple bills in there and left the 4runner unlocked with the can sitting on the front seat. :laugh:

reggie 00
05-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Chris,

I have a Marksman alarm in my 4Runner.
http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=55

My Buddy runs the local stereo shop so i get some pretty good deals out of him.

My Solaris in my Tahoe took a dump Saturday so i need to go hit him up for a new alarm.

I could get you one while I'm at it and send it down. I'm sure i could talk him into giving me the wiring details for a 91.

I had him put mine in(lazy cause i had to add door locks to all 4 doors)install and alarm only cost me $200 something.

I got a Remote start key less entry alarm. Makes it nice to be sleeping in the back and just hit a button to turn the truck on for 15min.

Let me know, I'm going to try to stop by this week.

slosurfer
05-04-2009, 07:29 AM
Thanks Reggie!

That one you linked, is that the one you have?

reggie 00
05-04-2009, 07:58 AM
The Key fob looks just like that.
Honestly I'm not 100% if its the X11.

It is two way and remote start.

Seanz0rz
05-04-2009, 08:53 AM
sorry to hear they nabbed your stuff! that sucks!

my personal experience with viper (and other alarms from their parent company, whos name escapes me, sold under names like hornet) has been less than steller. i found the remotes failing often, the alarm not working in high heat (dad's truck alarm stopped working at about 114 in vegas, i had to remove it to start the truck) and generally being disappointed by the high price.

i love the one i put in my 4runner. i have the dual shock sensor set so only the loudest of passing motorcycles and rice rockets make it chirp. only times ive had the alarm go off were when people hit my truck in the parking lot (gotta love them sliders...) so far its one of the best 70 dollars ive ever spent.

youve probably seen this on EXPO, but i thought it was really cool. just means they'd break your glass though: http://www.overlandhardware.com/protect.html

slosurfer
05-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Sean, what is the $70 dollar one that you have in your 4runner?

Yeah, Joaquin's hasps are pretty cool. When I get a hardtop made for the trailer, I'll probably go get some from him.

Seanz0rz
05-04-2009, 05:59 PM
this is what i have: (not affiliated) http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Crime-Stopper-CS-2002-DC-IV-Series-Alarm-System_W0QQitemZ180212467749QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item29f5800825&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

ebay item number: 180212467749

there are newer models on the market now, i cant attest to their greatness. i liked this one because of the features, key fob (nice and big, simple, not flashy, feels well built compared to mom's python alarm (another viper derivative)

slosurfer
05-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks Sean :thumbup: I definately like the price point on that one. His feedback on ebay is really good too!

Crinale
05-05-2009, 10:53 PM
i heard an ad on 107.3 earlier about one of the car stereo shops in slo having a sale.. they said they have an alarm system installed for like $148 ish

slosurfer
05-06-2009, 07:26 AM
SEan, how hard was it to install your alarm system?

Kevin, thanks! I guess I need to listen to 107.3 today. :D

reggie 00
05-06-2009, 07:45 AM
If its just an alarm/key less entry it wont be to bad for an older 4runner.

You would just tag pwr, gnd, door locks,dome light and parking lights.

I think that's it, you wouldn't have a vats system or a transponder key so no special modules to put in.

you should be able to get the wiring diagrams and location guide of the net.
here's one example:
http://www.commandocaralarms.com/wiring/1990-1995/Toyota/4-runner/1499.html

And another:
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/vehiclewiring/1/yeard/Toyota.html

slosurfer
05-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Reggie thanks! :thumbup: I also have the 93 4runner FSMs as well, so between that and those links you posted I might be able to hack it in there. :hillbill:

I wonder if I could also hook it up so that it will strobe my rock lights when it goes off. :laugh:

reggie 00
05-06-2009, 07:10 PM
use one of the outputs to actuate a relay that powers them up.

If you want i can ask my Bro.

He was making remote start happen before they were the norm.

He set up my Uncle's Diesel before they had the timers built in for the glow plugs.

slosurfer
05-06-2009, 07:22 PM
use one of the outputs to actuate a relay that powers them up.

Oh, is that what they mean when they say that it has 2 open spots for accessories on the alarm? I was wondering what that meant when they put that in the description of the alarms.

Sounds like your Bro, is one smart cookie. :thumbup:

The remote start sounds cool, but honestly I don't think I would ever use it other than to say, "hey, look what I can do" LOL

I'm also don't think I would need a two way paging alarm either, unless I'm missing something about why everyone wants one. What's the big deal about them?

Seanz0rz
05-06-2009, 07:26 PM
when someone drives past on a motorcycle, it vibrates your key fob, you go running out to find nothing wrong. huge price increase for something thats not terribly useful. they only work up to a mile (if that... think of buildings and such). i find it a waste of money, and nothing more than just a "cool" factor.

reggie 00
05-06-2009, 07:32 PM
the remote starts cool camping and what not.
Its nice to be able to start the truck up and charge the batteries, turn the heater on while your in the back. Some can be programmed to automatically turn on when your battery drops below a set level.

The two way feature is only useful if you want to be notified that someone is currently violating your property.

I use it in the summer to turn on the car and get it cooled down before i have to jump in. Doesn't get cold enough to worry about heat in the winter.

reggie 00
05-06-2009, 07:33 PM
when someone drives past on a motorcycle, it vibrates your key fob, you go running out to find nothing wrong. huge price increase for something thats not terribly useful. they only work up to a mile (if that... think of buildings and such). i find it a waste of money, and nothing more than just a "cool" factor.

yep.

I just like the added range to start it up. I don't bother trying to run when it goes off.

slosurfer
05-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Okay, that's what I thought. The only other thing I was thinking, if you work in an office building, live in a dorm, etc... and you hear an alarm going off, you would know it was yours if your dohickey was vibrating. I noticed lots of them aren't even good up to a mile though.

Honestly sounds like I just need basic alarm and keyless entry. Then do my own kill switch :thumbup:

Yeah, Reggie, I could see how that would be useful. I don't sleep in mine, but a remote start in the van would be cool for camping at the dunes. :hillbill: I was thinking the same thing about the AC, but it doesn't really get hot enough or cold enough here to really use that, but I could definately see how it would be useful if you lived in MN during the winter. BRRRRR...... :laugh:

Remind me, next time we're camping with you and it's hot, to go switch your controls to full heat, so when you start it up to cool it off, you'll get a nice surprise when you hop in. LOL

reggie 00
05-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Honestly sounds like I just need basic alarm and keyless entry. Then do my own kill switch :thumbup:

Yep, that 40$ one would work good for you.

do like my buddy did and make the cruise control be the start switch.

Seanz0rz
05-07-2009, 12:11 AM

this is what i did with mine. the alarm includes a starter cut out, which is nice, but easily defeated by someone who knows what they are doing. a good kill switch is putting a relay in the EFI line.

slosurfer
05-07-2009, 05:09 PM
Ordered that one that you got Sean. :thumbup: Hopefully that ends up being a good $50 well spent. :)

slosurfer
05-07-2009, 05:18 PM
I also want to get a motion sensor light, but take the lights out and just hook it up to a little alarm in my house. I'd rather catch those bastards in the act. :chair:

corax
05-07-2009, 07:41 PM
I also want to get a motion sensor light, but take the lights out and just hook it up to a little alarm in my house. I'd rather catch those bastards in the act. :chair:

better than a motion sensor light :D

Auto Targeting Turret Sentry (http://www.paintballsentry.com/multimedia.html)

here's his site (http://www.paintballsentry.com/) click on the "hardware and software guide" link at the top . . . he did have the software for sale on ebay not too long ago, I think he was asking $110 give or take

I really want to build one with an airsoft gun and use an Acer mini laptop or used Toughbook

Seanz0rz
05-07-2009, 07:44 PM
install a paintball gun with pepperballs, and maybe some steel balls just for fun, and i think it would be extremely effective in deterring theft.

chris, i dont think you will be disappointed. good alarm and its served me very well! if you have wiring questions, give me a call.

slosurfer
05-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Got the alarm yesterday, now to just figure out the jibberish they call instructions. :laugh: Sean, I have a feeling I may be in contact with you at some point. :laugh:

Seanz0rz
05-15-2009, 05:18 PM
call me anytime. ill be on the road and working alot tomorrow, but if i can talk, ill answer.

my install was a bit easier because i was replacing an existing alarm(albeit incorrectly wired).

slosurfer
05-15-2009, 05:23 PM
I probably won't mess with it tomorrow, I think I'm going to do a trail work day tomorrow with the local club. Maybe Sunday I'll mess with it. (which means that it will probably get hit again tonight or something, considering my luck :laugh: )

Crinale
05-15-2009, 05:25 PM
which trail are you guys workin on tomorrow and when?

slosurfer
05-15-2009, 05:35 PM
which trail are you guys workin on tomorrow and when?

We're working on Garcia Ridge, I'll have to find out what time exactly, but I know it's early like 7am or something like that. PM me if your interested

slosurfer
05-24-2009, 06:02 PM
Okay, so I haven't done the alarm yet, but as I just did a quick grocery store run in the 4runner, I realized that there might just be one "bling" feature that would be cool and very useful to have. I would love to be able to roll the rear window down with the remote. I don't know if that's possible but it would be very useful. :D

reggie 00
05-24-2009, 08:01 PM
You'll need a window module to do it.

They will have up only and up and down.

I have them in my Tahoe

Makes it nice to vent the windows after you set the alarm. Rolls the windows up if the alarm is tripped.

After you disarm the alarm you and hit the window button and it will roll the windows down.