PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Toyota Camry Help

localmotion
01-28-2008, 08:01 PM
Hey guys!

My folks are in the market for an 08 Camry. They know they want the XLE package with the nagivation but were contemplating on getting it hybrid. Does anyone have experience with the hybrids and can think of any downfall of having one? Someone mentioned to me that you have to change the batteries often and that the cost of the battery doesnt outweigh the savings on fuel?

Thanks guys!

MTL_4runner
01-29-2008, 05:36 AM
Hi Matt, I had looked at getting one as well (Camry Hybrid) but we just have too much foul winter weather to make it worthwhile. I know when I test drove them last year the non-hybrid versions were having major issues with transmissions not shifting properly. They may have fixed that issue since but it's certainly something to be aware of.

The issue of changing the hybrid batteries every so often is a myth. The batteries should last at least 10 years and the cost of changing them should be around $2000 by the time you actually need to do it. The one thing you will see is that a hybrid loses alot of efficiency when it's cold outside so if you live in the north, you won't see nearly as much benefit on fuel economy as someone living in the south. There really aren't any more drawbacks I can think of and the new Camry hybrid is a very solid vehicle from what I can tell thus far.