PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Torque Converter and AT gurus!!

881stGenRunner
01-30-2008, 08:36 PM
Well lately my 4Runner (3.0 A340H) has been going through some pretty tough times. On problem after another. Anyways recently I went to a restraunt that is about 5 miles from my house to eat with a buddy. I drove for around 10 minutes tops to get there and parked. After about 20 mintues i came out to go home an when i put it in gear, it went NO WHERE. the engine would just rev. So i checked the tranny fluid and it looked fine.

I tried different gear positions to get it to move and it wouldnt. So i shut it off and let it chill for a sec. Fired it up again and this time it moved, but the engine revved high and it went really slow as if i was in 4L. So I let it sit there and idle for a couple minutes, tried it again, and poof, it works again. For a long time i havent had OD.

SOmetimes when going down the road the RPMs will drop a couple hundred for a split second and come back up. I think it has to do with the tranny. I think my original 223k mile Torque Converter is going out on me.

There is a lot of slipping and i think it is the reason i dont have OD. I have a tranny that has about 25k miles on it from a 95 4Runner. We made sure all the wires were spliced to their properly when swapping in the tranny, but for some reason my OD light does not work anymore, so i cannot check codes on it. Sorry for the long read, im just getting extremely frustrated with this thing lately and would really like some closure to this thing.

callmej75
01-31-2008, 05:08 AM
My bet its a shift solenoid...when going down the road shift it in overdrive and saee if the overdrive light blinks. If it does, go through the procedure to get he code. More or less it is a shift solenoid because I went through the same thing. If I put it in the lowest gear and took off, it would come back to life for taking off. This was an intermittent thing though...far in between did I have good shifts.

4runnerchevy
01-31-2008, 06:12 AM
Wiring fault*, bad solenoid(s), clogged filter.

Start there. *You are using the computer for the tranny, right??

x2

It sounds wiring cause you have no O/D light. I know nothing about Toy auto's. I only deal with chevy auto's. Do Toys have a locking converter ?

881stGenRunner
01-31-2008, 04:45 PM
well today i disconnected the tranny cpu and drove it without it. L=1st 2=3rd D=OD
It shifted into all 3 and they worked fine. i read that when you disconnect the cpu that the tranny doesnt use the shift solenoids or TC. What do yall think?

881stGenRunner
01-31-2008, 06:15 PM
my O/D light has not worked since i put in the replacement transmission last May. I have some pretty good tests to go by so im going to try them this weekend and see what happens.

DHC6twinotter
01-31-2008, 08:03 PM
Every now and then on long trips, my 4Runner will lose 1st gear and the O/D light will flash. I get a code 41 tranny error which is a bad #1 shift solenoid or wire. One of these days I'll put down the $150 to get it replaced. :hillbill:

My torque converter lockup also slips (or whatever you want to call it) a bit when on long trips, but I don't really know what is causing that. Maybe a bad lockup switch, but I dunno. My tranny has 205K on it now, so no complaints from me. :D

881stGenRunner
01-31-2008, 09:20 PM
So I'm confused then, why run a system designed to communicate to the operator through a CPU, via a light that indicates a trouble code??

Unless you're running a code reader constantly, you're running on pure luck/chance...

It's like saying, well, I didn't think I would need the harness to go with the parachute sir.

..or am I alone here in this thought??

Trust me i would LOVE to have that light working so i knew what was wrong with my truck. Since the new tranny was from a 95 it had maybe 1 or 2 more wires on it and there was nowhere for them to go. Every wire that was on my chassis is plugged into the corresponding wire on the tranny. Maybe the 1988 and 1995 electronics dont like eachother and im not getting my O/D light anymore.