PDA

View Full Version : wow....

oly884
01-31-2008, 08:26 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,327347,00.html

BERKELEY, Calif. — Local officials in this liberal city say it's time for the U.S. Marines to move out.

The City Council has voted to tell the Marines their downtown recruiting station is not welcome and "if recruiters choose to stay, they do so as uninvited and unwelcome guests."

Keep that in mind if Berkeley is invaded

The measure passed this week by a vote of 8-1.

At least one person is sensible in that city

The council also voted to explore enforcing a city anti-discrimination law, focusing on the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

My question is, why should the military need to know sexual orientation? Really, should it matter? The answer is no, so, if it doesn't matter, then why ask? They are not discriminating, discriminating would be saying that gay's can't join the military.

In a separate item, the council voted, also 8-1, to give protest group Code Pink a parking space in front of the recruiting office once a week for six months and a free sound permit for protesting once a week.

Again, at least one person is sensible.

Marine Capt. Richard Lund of the recruiting office declined comment on the council action.

Good, their action doesn't deserve a comment. Pack up and leave, F that city

The recruiting office opened in Berkeley about a year ago, operating quietly until about four months ago when Code Pink began regular sidewalk protests.

Surprise surprise

"I believe in the Code Pink cause. The Marines don't belong here, they shouldn't have come here, and they should leave," said Berkeley Mayor Tom Bates.

Thank you, you for an insightful and intelligent response /sarcasm

Code Pink is circulating petitions to get a measure on the ballot in November making it more difficult to open military recruiting offices in Berkeley if they are near homes, parks, schools, churches, libraries or health clinics.

With the attitude from the city, I sure hope the Marines NEVER go back to Berkeley, regardless of the reason. Berkeley gets attacked by killer tofu? Tough luck. I don't want any of my tax dollars going to defend that POS city.

Some employees and business owners aren't happy with the weekly protests.

Really? I thought having code pink outside my business complaining about something they clearly have no intent of joining would be a good thing.

"My husband's business is right upstairs, and this (protesting) is bordering on harassment," Dori Schmidt told the council. "I hope this stops."

Harassment, nice, and the city supports this? That's a good attitude these people have, let's harass people choosing to defend this country

So, I also must ask the question, does anyone in "code pink" WANT to join the military? Or are they just protesting because they have nothing else better to do?

I don't know what to say about this. This is beyond sad, pathetic, and disgraceful for Berkeley.

Edit: added some commentary

randver
01-31-2008, 09:50 PM
WTF

oly884
01-31-2008, 10:54 PM
For those interested:

Here's the email to the mayor of Berkeley, Tom Bates:
mayor@ci.berkeley.ca.us

Every one here can be sure that I am forwarding this story to every one I know and an email has been sent to the mayor regarding this. I refuse to visit Berkeley or suggest anyone to visit the city.

This type of bullshit needs to stop, I'm done sitting around. Time to take action.

ChickenLover
02-01-2008, 05:13 AM
Somebody needs to tell Berkeley's officials that the Cold War is over.. And they lost.

But really, why would the military want to recruit in Berkeley anyway? There isn't much that a pencil-necked pot-head can offer to the marines.

4runnerchevy
02-01-2008, 05:54 AM
I never saw any reason to go to Berkeley, and I live about 60 miles from it. The only thing in Berkeley is a school, if they didn't have a school, it would be just a town. If they want the Marines out of Berkeley, so be it. I will also pass on the story and the e-mail. I support our armed forces in whatever they have to do. Even if they had to go back and kill the killer tofu in Berkeley. Thats what our forces do, leave personal opinions behind and go to work. As for the mayor :chair: and all the liberal hippie mother &^%$@#! they can take a leap. I will boycott anything Berkeley !

MTL_4runner
02-01-2008, 06:32 AM
Guys, I' don't know why this news clip is so surprising. It's the very cradle of US anti-war protesting and about as far left as you can get. If you have never visited Berkeley, then I suppose it would be tough to understand.

calrockx
02-01-2008, 12:24 PM
i like berkeley for amoeba records, rasputin records, and top dog.

4runnerchevy
02-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Guys, I' don't know why this news clip is so surprising. It's the very cradle of US anti-war protesting and about as far left as you can get. If you have never visited Berkeley, then I suppose it would be tough to understand.

I used to go to the Omni and watch bands rock. It was oN the border between Oakland and Berk. I also had 2 tires slashed while inside one time. I hate Berkeley, I think I will not even buy milk with its name. (Berkeley Farms)

bamachem
02-01-2008, 08:36 PM
:clap: :thumbup:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,327466,00.html

U.S. Senator Wants to Revoke Funding From City of Berkeley, Calif., for Vote to Boot Marines
Friday, February 01, 2008

WASHINGTON — U.S. Sen. Jim DeMint, R-S.C., says the City of Berkeley, Calif., no longer deserves federal money.

DeMint was angered after learning that the Berkeley City Council voted this week to tell the U.S. Marine Corps to remove its recruiting station from the city's downtown.

"This is a slap in the face to all brave service men and women and their families," DeMint said in a prepared statement. "The First Amendment gives the City of Berkeley the right to be idiotic, but from now on they should do it with their own money."

"If the city can’t show respect for the Marines that have fought, bled and died for their freedom, Berkeley should not be receiving special taxpayer-funded handouts," he added.

In the meantime, a senior Marine official tells FOX News that the Marine office in Berkeley isn't going anywhere.

USMC Not Wanted? "We understand things are different there, but some people just don't get it. This is a part of the military machine that gives them the right to do what they do, but what they are doing is extreme," the official said.

DeMint said he will draft legislation to rescind any earmarks dedicated for the City of Berkeley in the recently passed appropriations bill — which his office tallied to value about $2.1 million. He said that any money taken back would be transferred to the Marines.

DeMint's office provided a preliminary list of items that would be subject to his proposal:

— $975,000 for the University of California at Berkeley, for the Matsui Center for Politics and Public Service, which may include establishing an endowment, and for cataloguing the papers of Congressman Robert Matsui.

— $750,000 for the Berkeley/Albana ferry service.

— $243,000 for the Chez Panisse Foundation, for a school lunch initiative to integrate lessons about wellness, sustainability and nutrition into the academic curriculum.

— $94,000 for a Berkeley public safety interoperability program.

— $87,000 for the Berkeley Unified School District, nutrition education program.

The Marine official, speaking with FOX News on Friday, said Marine Commandant Gen. James Conway scoffed at the news, but there are no plans for to protest the City Council's decisions. There are definitely no plans to move the recruiting station either.

"To actually put something into law that encourages the disruption of a federal office is ridiculous. They are not going to kick a federal office out of its rightful place there, and this is not going to discourage those young patriots who want to be Marines," the official said.

The Berkeley City Council this week voted to tell the Marines their downtown recruiting station is not welcome and "if recruiters choose to stay, they do so as uninvited and unwelcome guests," according to The Associated Press.

The council also voted to explore whether a city anti-discrimination law applies to the Marines, with a focus on the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy that prevents open homosexuality in the military.

The council also voted to give the antiwar group Code Pink a parking space in front of the recruiting office once a week for six months, as well as a protest permit.

The Marine recruiting office in Berkeley has been open for about one year, but has been the subject of recent protests by Code Pink members.

neliconcept
02-01-2008, 08:42 PM
and demint is one of our senators (per South Carolina) makes me proud

surf4runner
02-05-2008, 10:57 AM
i like berkeley for amoeba records, rasputin records, and top dog.

dont forget blondies pizza

looks like a couple council members pulled there head out of their...
http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2008/02/berkeley-changi.html

calrockx
02-05-2008, 11:31 AM
dont forget blondies pizza

yeah, had that...it's alright. i've heard good things about cheeseboard pizza. i think that's the name, gotta check that one out

oly884
02-05-2008, 11:53 AM
looks like a couple council members pulled there head out of their...
http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2008/02/berkeley-changi.html

Good!

Bob98SR5
02-05-2008, 07:52 PM
i hope the govtdo find something worthy of pulling federal funding. but like jamie said, what do you expect? its berkeley.

fustercluck
02-10-2008, 08:26 AM
I remember when the Left used the shield of tolerance to advance it's perversions on an unwilling society and culture. Now that shield has become lethal in offensive intolerance. How ironic.

The consensus of mental illness professionals is that the longer a person lives a lie, the more vulnerable to mental and emotional illness he becomes. This malady is then demonstrated in irrational and unreasonable behaviors combined with projection of guilt on the innocent and defenseless. He arrives at a condition where he is unable to recognize truth and right.

I am convinced that the Left has embraced not just one lie, but many compounded and inter reliant lies. As time passes, those who hold and defend such deviations will demonstrate irrationalities directly proportional to their degree of radicalism. Radicalism to the point of distorted truth lends it's own nebulous understanding. The closer to the extreme one becomes, the more everyone else looks antipodal and hence becomes the opposition. This is why extremists usually demonstrate paranoid assessments of their fellow man to the exclusion of most everyone else.

There is no doubt that Berk is infested with Leftist extremists. What is disquieting is that they recruit the young and impressionable with the seductive notion of Robin Hood policies. The fact is that the message of the Left is the Siren's song. Beyond that, we see evidence that the deviancy of the Left and it's lethal intolerance has become institutionalized in the seat of govt. power where it can do the most damage to righteousness. I think radical Leftists have advanced toward treason exponentially.

I'll quote Cicero: A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banners openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their garments, and he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can not longer resist. A murderer is less to be feared.
Cicero, 42 BC