PDA

View Full Version : Brake bias adjusting after lift

elripster
02-03-2008, 06:31 PM
Ok so my rear rim to fender distance is about 14". That's about 2" more than I would say it was stock. Logic would say to simply make a 2" bracket to relocate the biasing arm to where it was stock. Well here's what's weird and I'll use pics to narrate.

Here is the biasing arm on the axle...

http://sdori.com/eventimages/bias1.jpg

Here it is at the end of its up travel...

http://sdori.com/eventimages/bias2.jpg

Right now at full axle compression that arm is near the exhaust and probably flexing the arm just a bit.

If I relocate that arm up 2" it will definitely max out the LSPV and flex that arm 2" or more as the axle reaches its compression limits. That just seems odd to me. Any thoughts?

Frank

slosurfer
02-03-2008, 06:44 PM
I'll have to take a look at mine tomorrow, I think I have a 2.5 in. bracket on mine and haven't had any problems with it.

elripster
02-03-2008, 06:46 PM
I guess my real question is that is it normal to flex that arm that much? with a 2" bracket I'll likely push it to the exhaust.

Frank

4runnerchevy
02-04-2008, 07:33 AM
Alot of people just get rid of the LSPV and replace it with one you can dial on the fly.

elripster
02-04-2008, 07:44 AM
That's not a bad idea. With my air shocks my truck doesn't sag when loaded like it used to so it kinda defeats the LSPV anyway.

Frank

4runnerchevy
02-04-2008, 07:49 AM
It does make a cleaner rear axle. Some people put the prop valve in the cab and others (like me) put it next to the MC.

slosurfer
02-05-2008, 10:37 PM
I guess my real question is that is it normal to flex that arm that much? with a 2" bracket I'll likely push it to the exhaust.

Frank

I looked at mine today, it looks like the arm on mine is bent to clear the exhaust. I'm pretty sure it was already bent, but I guess it could be self clearanced. :hillbill:

4runnerchevy
02-06-2008, 05:27 AM
Does anyone have a clear picture of the 90's LSPV, not just the arm ? Just curious if it is the same as the 80's. I would appreciate it.

elripster
02-06-2008, 07:57 AM
Well, I think what I will do is remove one of the axle bracket's screws then I can rotate it upwards and tighten the remaining screw. I can do that to see how the truck reacts. Heck, I might just drill another hole for the other screw and run with that.

Frank