PDA

View Full Version : Problems with balljoints from Ebay

GSGALLANT
02-04-2008, 04:37 AM
First of all, this isn't meant to bash an Ebay seller, nor am I really complaining (because you get what you pay for, and I knew that when I made the purchase), but it's just to relay my experience with some balljoints that I bought off Ebay to try to save some money.

In October 2006, I bought 4 replacement balljoints for my '93 4Runner from Arm-Can Auto Parts on Ebay. I believe they were $130 or so shipped (for all 4). I figured I had nothing to lose at that price... even if they only lasted a few years.

When installing them, 3 of the studs on the upper balljoints stripped before I reached the recommended torque (which is only 14 ft-lb, if I remember correctly). I had to pound out the studs from my old balljoints and use those instead.

At this point, 15 months after they've been installed, all the boots are torn, and they are all due to be replaced again. This is on a stock height 4Runner that's only been wheeled 2 or 3 times in that period.

I'll be buying Toyota balljoints to replace them, so that hopefully I never have to replace them again (it is a '93, after all).

MTL_4runner
02-04-2008, 07:43 AM
GS, don't feel badly because we've all tried to save money by taking the ebay route only to have it cost more money in the end. I had a similar experience when rebuilding the top end on my engine last year. You definately get what you pay for. Best chance of getting good parts is to find out what company made the original Toyota part (if it wasn't made by Toyota itself.....most parts are being outsourced now though) and buy only that brand since they will likely just be selling off overstock.

surf4runner
02-05-2008, 10:38 AM
not toyota, but i bought BJ's/rod ends from a reputable local dealer and while i was finishing the job, few days later-still on the stands, the joints started to rust and the boots went crusty.
they were replaced w/o hassle(these are still good), but i hate doing things twice :pissed:

dunno what it is about some of the rubber used in aftermarket parts...