PDA

View Full Version : 1985 4runner torque rod removal?

yotastan
02-06-2008, 06:57 AM
Hey there i am about to put a lift onto my 1985 Toyota 4Runner and i was looking under it and i come across the torque rod and i have been doing a bit of research and there is alot of people out there that have taken it of and still daily drive the truck. soo i just want to get some feed back from you guys if i should take it off or shouldnt??

thanks cheers

ToyFamily
02-06-2008, 02:55 PM
One of the first things to go..I Daily Drove my 85 ext. for 4 yrs. on 35's, wrangler rears in front, chevies in back. It is to prevent the "dive" under hard braking. It wass't very noticable and it's not like you SLAMMED on the brakes all the time. You do gain alot of articulation...

Nick

4runnerchevy
02-06-2008, 05:23 PM
I removed mine when I swapped and never returned or noticed it was gone. You can extend it and put quick pins or something if you find out its needed. Note: mine was a daily driver for years after my swap.

yotastan
02-06-2008, 05:56 PM
So you guys are saying i should not be to worried about it eh? im just gonnabe going to 35's 5" lift and some gears and welding my front axle.... nothing crazy tho
what i was thinking, extending my spring perches like a few inches and putting gussets under the extention it would do the same thign as the torque rod and i wouldnt loose any artiqulation??? what do you guys thing???

thanks for the answers cheers

4runnerchevy
02-06-2008, 06:58 PM
I am unclear what gussets you plan on doing on perches. Please clarify. I would do the lift and test drive. If you have problems THEN do your mods. Its all in your preference, and safety. If you feel safe at lock braking then do the next step.

04 Rocko Taco
02-07-2008, 06:47 AM
i've read up on this too, I have the sway bar off of my '84 (it sees very limited street use, and soon will live on a trailer)

How about couple of pics of your torque rod and sway bar. I have heard a lot of people remove the torque rod and keep the sway bar, because with much lift the two can bid and hit one another...

Post up some pics and lets get a look at what you've got...

anthony1
02-07-2008, 08:53 AM
You don't need it. My SAS is fine without it. heck, I shaved the whole bracket off. I have to mod the rear swaybar mount and put the rear ones back on. I drove with no sway bar at all for a few yrs.....lets just say it's good to have at least one on.

yotastan
02-07-2008, 03:11 PM
I am going to remove my front sway bar but and make quick disconnects for rear but the torque rod just runs of the drivers side top of the axle to just shy or the steering box..

but now that i know some people used there runners without the torque rod daily driving i am more calm about it..
thanks a lot guys and cheers

4runnerchevy
02-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Just get rid of them both, sway bar, and that rod, Toys are too slow for it to make a difference. :flipoff:

Intrepidyota
02-08-2008, 06:14 AM
Depends on whether or not you plan to run stock steering. I would keep the torque rod if you are running push/pull steering. If you don't, you will swerve violently to the side in a panic stop situation. I ran stock push/pull for a while and that is a scary situation. Admittedly after a while you get used to it and the "stomp the brake, cut the wheel hard to the left" becomes instinctive, but that is conditional upon you not dying before that happens. :laugh: I had seen a guy replace it with a shock that fit so that it wouldn't limit articulation, but would still work at a torque rod, I thought that was a cool idea.

Of course, if you are going to high steer, then none of that applies, ditch it.

yotastan
02-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Yeah i am going high steer. Because i am buying the marling crawler lift so :)

cheers thanks for the advise

4runnerchevy
02-08-2008, 05:19 PM
cross-over no problems. At 35mph brake slam, no hands, straight line, good to go!

yotastan
02-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Sick... im excided to get my truck rolling for the spring..does any body know if there is a company or a site that i can buy a whole 22re torbo kit from or something simular because i have been calling junk yards all over Ontario and i cannot find one turbo 4runner(22re)

thanks alot cheers

Robinhood4x4
02-10-2008, 09:13 AM
Just to reiterate, push pull steering needs the torque rod as it prevents brake steer. Cross over is fine without it.

4runnerchevy
02-10-2008, 03:20 PM
x2

Holy bumpsteer batman !