PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry outage in North America!

Good Times
02-12-2008, 12:34 AM
For all of ya BB users..

North American outage reported, Feb 11

Is it just me, or are these happening a little more often than usual? Our buddies at Zenprise have given us the extent of the damage so far.

The issue was first reported at 12:20 p.m. PT. Zenprise diagnosed and tested issues on various networks to determine the cause of the outage. At 12:23 p.m. PT, Zenprise sent an email notification to its customers that BlackBerry service is down and the issue is with the BlackBerry network. Note: At about 12:30 p.m. PT, AT&T first learned there was a problem.

And straight from RIM…

* BlackBerry subscribers may be unable to send or receive messages. Subscribers may also be unable to register their device, roam in another location, or use other services such as Internet browsing.
* BlackBerry Internet Service subscribers may be unable to use the BlackBerry Internet Service web site or perform activities such as creating new accounts, accessing their internet mailbox, integrating third-party email accounts, or viewing email attachments.
* Devices may not receive new service books. BlackBerry Connect and BlackBerry-enabled devices that require a new PIN may be unable to receive the PIN.
* BlackBerry Enterprise Servers may be unable to connect to the BlackBerry Infrastructure.
* Wireless service providers and device resellers may be unable to use BlackBerry administration web sites or perform activities such as creating subscriber accounts or provisioning services for subscribers.

And I thought my phone was just on the fritz earlier :chair:

Article Here (http://www.blackberrycool.com/2008/02/11/006557/)

4LowLocked
02-12-2008, 05:37 AM
Looks like its back up now - my BB was acting sportatic yesterday and then I got the email from our IT dept explaining it (luckily I was on my actually work comp yesterday)

YotaFun
02-12-2008, 07:40 AM
Was this all of the north?
Cause my blackberry was fine yesterday.
All day and night.
Is it maybe a specific model or is it the entire blackberry system?
And why am I asking these questions, I had no issues...
I don't know... maybe I feel left out lol!

4LowLocked
02-12-2008, 09:01 AM
It sounds like it may have been on the GSM network - not cdma. Im only guessing on that though because AT&T is gsm and my home network here in Canada is Rogers which is gsm as well

YotaFun
02-12-2008, 09:33 AM
I have AT&T as well.
Didn't notice a thing, but meh.
Glad I didn't at least lol!

Toyvana
02-12-2008, 11:03 AM
What is the difference between a BlackBerry & a regular cell phone?

4LowLocked
02-12-2008, 11:27 AM
blackberry emails travel on the blackberry network that works behind various providers networks. The maker of the blackberry, RIM, is headquartered here in my hometown (waterloo, ON) and they employ a very large workforce here. There are a lot of hightech companies here (i work for one too)
They have servers that move all the email otherwise that would clog up providers networks. When you make a call, it still uses the provider though (ie ATT) (at least this is my understanding)

YotaFun
02-12-2008, 11:42 AM
blackberry emails travel on the blackberry network that works behind various providers networks. The maker of the blackberry, RIM, is headquartered here in my hometown (waterloo, ON) and they employ a very large workforce here. There are a lot of hightech companies here (i work for one too)
They have servers that move all the email otherwise that would clog up providers networks. When you make a call, it still uses the provider though (ie ATT) (at least this is my understanding)

Think you hit the nail on the head, thats how I always understood it.
The Blackberry network the runs underneath I believe is called EDGE iirc.
And then to make a regular phone call, yes you use GSM or what ever network the service provide runs on.

4runnerchevy
02-12-2008, 06:34 PM
OMG! what will I ever do without my pocket phone... The world is ending, the sky is falling. J/K :rofl:

YotaFun
02-12-2008, 06:59 PM
I am actually getting a Trac Phone for the Runner,
Cause I don't want to get the Blackberry dirty.

Good Times
02-12-2008, 09:23 PM
It was a global issue apparently for the NA BB users. Its happened a few times but this one was apparently more severe due to the length of the delay to get it back up.

You know it's not working because you won't receive any emails/messages anymore (even after you restart it).

Everything looks to be fine right now :)

I live by my BB so when I don't get anything for over 1 hr I know something is up (grr)

YotaFun
02-12-2008, 09:37 PM
LOL!
Yeah now that I have it I do too.
Too nice to Take out on the trails.
Hence the idea of a Trac Phone.
I miss the days when I could take the sim card from my razor to one of my cheapies when I hit the trails...

Good Times
02-12-2008, 09:38 PM
I pay the insurance and it covers for all of my "accidental" oopsies :)