PDA

View Full Version : CAD with a laptop?

Deltron
02-16-2008, 09:36 AM
My g/f got a new job that will require basic CAD. We were told that CAD programs do not run so well with a lot of laptops, any truth to that? She would prefer a laptop if it can be done. If so, are there any laptops that you recommend? Her work is going to pay for it, I don't think she wants to go completely crazy with the cost, but doesn't want to get a POS either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

drguitarum2005
02-16-2008, 10:01 AM
its not the fact that its a laptop that makes it bad for CAD, desktops can be just as bad. its all about the processor speeds, amount of RAM, and amount of video RAM in it. personally my macbook (when booted into windows) runs AutoCAD, SolidWorks, and UG just fine. this is a 2ghz core due, 2 gigs of ram and doesnt even have its own video card, its shared memory (which is about as low and cheap as you can go). i'd look for something with 2 gigs of ram (or buy less and upgrade yourself for cheaper), at least a 1.8ghz core 2 duo, and its own video card. good luck!

Erich_870
02-16-2008, 10:11 AM
i'd look for something with 2 gigs of ram (or buy less and upgrade yourself for cheaper), at least a 1.8ghz core 2 duo, and its own video card. good luck!

That's exactly what I'm running at work. We'll be upgrading to 4 gigs of ram soon, but my system works pretty well right now.

What cad program will she be using? We're using AutoCAD 07 with a second civil design program that integrates with the CAD. We see a fair number of glitches, but it's pretty stable for the most part.

Erich

BruceTS
02-16-2008, 10:34 AM
I've used AutoCAD on all my laptops and never had any issues

Cebby
02-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Everyone nailed it. As long as you have a reasonable processor, a decent amount of RAM and upgraded video, it will run just fine. I have an HP with a 2.0 Ghz Centrino chip with 2 Gb RAM & Mobility Radeon 9200 video - I have been running AutoCAD for years on this setup.

DHC6twinotter
02-16-2008, 04:48 PM
I've only used CAD on desktops, but I know several people that use it on laptops. I don't think there is any problem with it.

Personally, I would try to find one with a descent processor (Intell E6600 or something similar with 4M cache or better), at least 2GB RAM, and a dedicated graphics card.

The desktop PC that I've used AutoCAD 2006 on has the E6600 Core 2 Duo processor, 2Gb RAM, and a ATI Radeon card, and it works great for AutoCAD. I do a lot of 3D stuff too.

Anyways, just my $.02. :D

Robinhood4x4
02-16-2008, 05:48 PM
Make sure she gets a docking station and a second monitor. Having a second monitor for cad is the best thing since sliced bread.

Erich_870
02-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Make sure she gets a docking station and a second monitor. Having a second monitor for cad is the best thing since sliced bread.

Great point, dual monitors are the only way to go. :thumbup:

Erich

Cebby
02-16-2008, 09:12 PM
x 2 on dual monitors, BUT you don't need a docking station. Most laptops can drive an external monitor from the VGA out. I'm powering a Dell 24" FP with mine. Works great!

Deltron
02-17-2008, 11:13 AM
I appreciate the replies and info. I figured it being a laptop shouldn't have anything to do with the actual running of a program, and thought it was more of a hardware issue, but wanted to make sure. As for the programs, I think she mentioned AutoCAD (edition, IDK), and another that has slipped my mind. I do know that it will be in 3D. So a minimum of 2gb ram, with Intel E6600 Core 2, and a dedicated graphics card would work well. She had planned on looking for a docking station and monitor. She feels it would be more "familiar" as this will be her first laptop. As for the dual monitors, she is willing if her work is. If not I'm hoping to be getting a new CPU and monitor by the end of the summer and it will probably wait till then. Again I thank all you for your info.
-Condell