PDA

View Full Version : The future of the 4Runner (5th Gen)

Pages : [1] 2

dontdo_that
02-20-2008, 01:11 PM
There has been a lot of speculation about the 5th gen 4runner and whether or not it will drop out of Toyota's SUV line. I have been fearing that the 4Runner will become a mall queen as it currently treads very closely to the FJ Cruiser in off-road prowess and they are really pushing the FJ for their off-road vehicle. But then again, I take a look at the 4runner and it is in direct competition with several other vehicles that the FJ can't compete with due to its lack of luxury options, v8 engine and 4 doors. Looking at Jeep's line-up and the Hummer H3, the 4runner is VERY similar to those vehicles, in wheelbase, interior and exterior options aswell as size. The sequoia and land cruiser are not in these catagories. Sequoia is full size and the LC is a premium luxury model costing twice as much as these other vehicles.

Something that makes me doubt that Toyota intends to tame the 4Runner is the Jeep Line. The Jeep Commander and Grand Cherokee are basically the same vehicle! I don't know why Jeep introduced the Commander in 06. The lifts you purchase fit both vehicles (superlift makes one) and the wheelbase is pretty damn near identical. The options are also the same on both vehicles and both vehicles compete directly with the 4runner, offering 5.7L v8s putting out in the neighborhood of 300 hp and ft-lbs. In other words, the 4Runner occupies more of its own niche in the current Toyota lineup than the Commander does in the current Jeep lineup. The H3 Alpha also offers leather, navigation, a 5.3L v8, etc., options that are not available with the FJ cruiser or any other mid-sized, quasi luxury, off-road SUV.

Also note the Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited line. The relationship between the Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited could symbolize the future relationship between the FJ Cruiser and the 4Runner. Additionally, with the increase in size of the Highlander (it looks big anyway), its not unreasonable to think the Highlander is moving in to take the 4runner's place as a soccer shuttle while they push the 4runner into the adventure-mobile market. There are more vehicles, like the LR Discovery III or whatever its called, that I haven't looked into. And its not like the 4Runner didn't do well in sales during its 4th generation. What I have noticed is that there are less people on the forums, (here, YT, T4R.org, Tundra solutions, etc.) that discuss modding and tech of the 4th Gens. Goodtimes is the only one I know off the top of my head, but that could just be my own ignorance. I wonder if that has anything to do with the crowd that is purchasing the 4th gen?

So I think the 4runner will either stay much like how it is or perhaps move closer to the FJ. What do you guys think?

Of course if this is all wrong when the 5th gen makes its debut, we can look back and laugh at how naive I was.

Cebby
02-20-2008, 01:59 PM
I think as the 4th Gens get older, you will see more and more modded versions. It takes some cajones to cut up/mod a new vehicle - most won't do it. Those that do give other something to shoot for/aspire to. I know for me, when the bank still owns it (or at least a majority of it), I'm less likely to go nuts with it.

Re: Jeep, The Commander is being dropped after this year or next and the Grand will sprout a 3rd row of seats.

My opinion - they should keep the FJ as the bare bones super capable model adding a front locker option and lower t-case gears, but make the hardtop removable/optional like the old ones and have a soft top offered too - if they are going after Jeep, might as well level the playing field.

I'd love to see the 4Runner remain it's current size or even shrink a little to provide a capable enclosed 4x4 with 4 doors. I'd hate to see it go away, but with the trend toward more and more car-based crossovers, I think the writing is likely on the wall. It's due for a reskinning being 5 years old now - guess if there's no talk of a new model... or maybe they'll globalize that segment of their offering and bring the Prado here to replace it.

calrockx
02-20-2008, 02:02 PM
I think Toyota will still try to market the next 4runner as an offroad/adventure machine, but the actual product won't measure up as much as we'd like. I'd like to see the 5th gen as capable as the (next) FJ, but it seems Toyota is definitely making that truck their dirt vehicle.

3rd gen 4Runner FTW!

MTL_4runner
02-20-2008, 03:19 PM
Damn, don't go posting a title like that with no spy shots!!! :chair:

J/K

I've been wondering the same about how the new 5th gen will look but I have serious doubts they will just kill it altogether. The modding for me on the 3rd gen started from the flawed suspension setup on what I considered to be a great a reliable truck. Part of the other reason you don't see as many 4th gens could be that the 2nd and 3rd gens are lasting so long.

Toyota is also really starting to see some serious heat in the various niche markets it used to dominate and with gas as expensive as it is, big trucks are going to lose out to the smaller and more practical SUV crossovers. Back when I bought my 4runner there were no Nissan Muranos (or similar), your choices for SUV's in 1998 were basically Cherokee, Explorer, Durango, 4runner, Pathfinder, etc.....very much all trucks. The 4runner is definately not dead by any means but I think it will find itself positioned in a very different place now than in the past. I have been looking at getting a new one myself but I too am waiting for prices to drop before I take the plunge. Hopefully by the time I'm ready, the 2010 4runners will have a diesel for me to oogle over while I try to forget the pain of new car payments. I am hoping sometime this year we'll also see some spyshots leak out onto the net. :thumbup:

slosurfer
02-20-2008, 04:32 PM
Damn!!!!!
:pics:

Good Times
02-20-2008, 06:59 PM
When the 4th gen was first introduced, Toyota used a lot of the technologies found in the Prado (found overseas) as their primary platform and built around that foundation. This also lead to the spawn of the Tacoma (which has always taken cues from the 4runner) and the newly introduced FJC. I suspect that Toyota's goal is to globally dominate the SUV market by having these key areas to cover each vehicle type:

Offroad Worthy Luxury - Land Cruiser (challenge the Range Rovers, X5, Mercedes SUV, Grand Cherokee)
Suburban killer - Sequoia (challenge the Suburban, Expedition, Excursion)
Offroad Worthy Mid Class SUV - 4runner (challenge the Explorer, Durango, Tahoe, Grand Cherokee)
Offroading SUV - FJ Cruiser (challenge Jeep line up such as the Rubicon)
Crossover-like SUV - Highlander (challenge the Murano, Pilot and the likes)
Entry level SUV - Rav4 (challenge the CR-V and the likes)

It would be hard to believe that Toyota would drop the 4runner line completely as it really does fill in the void between the Highlander which is not offroad worthy at all and the Land Cruiser. By keeping the mid level offroad worthy SUV in the line up I think Toyota holds a better portfolio plus the benefit of using the existing Prado as their primary platform.

At any rate, I'm hoping to talk to a few contacts at Toyota to see if I can dig any info on the 5th gen 4runner as that'll be awesome to be able to cut up one of those and have fun with it :D

O yeah to reply back to Ned on his comments on the lack of 4th gen enthusiasts, actually there's quite a few out there that's done quite a bit. I know of one other 4th gen LT and 2 in the works! Also quite a few people have front/rear lockers (something that I don't have as I only pimp a rear hehe). I definitely can name a good 20+ 4th genners that are definitely well equipped to handle most of the trails we all venture to. At any rate it's definitely good to see other owners take their vehicles and modify em as it's definitely lonely when you're the only one out there :/

YotaJunky
02-20-2008, 09:28 PM
Damn, don't go posting a title like that with no spy shots!!! :chair:

J/K

x2....

dontdo_that
02-20-2008, 09:59 PM
Bah sorry about no images guys. All I can come up with from scouraging the web are already on here UY. As soon as I find some images of a 5th gen or even a 5th gen concept from Toyota, I will post it. Although I think Lance might beat me haha. Ill add a post here of what is RUMORED to possibly be the next gen 4Runner.

Yeah I figured that the lack of 4th gen modders is largely due to the fact that its still a newer vehicle. But the modded 4th gens I have seen are so f*ing badass. The 4th gen really grew on me.

I completely agree with Lance. The 4runner DEFINATELY has a niche of its own, and since my Original Posting, I have come to realize a few more vehicles in direct competition with the 4runner, some of which have been since mentioned. Because the other surrounding niches have been occupied by other SUV models, I think the 4Runner will stay where its at.

I STILL SAY BRING THE PRADO!!

All the direct 4Runner alternatives I can think of:
Hummer H3, Dodge Durango, Nissan Xterra, Jeep Commander, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Land Rover LR3, Ford Explorer (its IRS though)

Here:
http://auto-news-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/10922.jpg

http://auto-news-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/10921.jpg

http://images.leftlanenews.com/content/tm_september2007/toyota-4runner-1.jpg

Seanz0rz
02-20-2008, 10:08 PM
i thought they fingered that for a sequia/LC mule for several reasons, including the lack of a roll down rear window, and the use of 5 lug wheels. not to mention its overall size.

MTL_4runner
02-21-2008, 04:07 AM
Offroad Worthy Luxury - Land Cruiser (challenge the Range Rovers, X5, Mercedes SUV, Grand Cherokee)
Suburban killer - Sequoia (challenge the Suburban, Expedition, Excursion)
Offroad Worthy Mid Class SUV - 4runner (challenge the Explorer, Durango, Tahoe, Grand Cherokee)
Offroading SUV - FJ Cruiser (challenge Jeep line up such as the Rubicon)
Crossover-like SUV - Highlander (challenge the Murano, Pilot and the likes)
Entry level SUV - Rav4 (challenge the CR-V and the likes)

Good cheat sheet on competing models Lance! :thumbup: My one comment to add would be I think the new Toyota Venza will compete against other streamlined vehicles like the Murano, Ford Edge, Chrysler Pacifica, etc. I think the Highlander goes against a different (larger) genre of competitors more in sync with the Ford Escape, Mazda CX-7, Saturn Outlook, Mitsubishi Outlander (how blatant can you get at targeting with a name like that!), Chevy Equinox, etc. The Honda Pilot is a fairly big truck so it's more like to go head-to-head with the 4runner IMHO.

neliconcept
02-21-2008, 08:35 AM
the LR3 is also IRS, but a sick system to boot.

that spy shot is the 200 series.

bamachem
02-21-2008, 10:05 AM
200 series? Land Cruiser? Do you mean 130 series LC??

dontdo_that
02-22-2008, 01:02 AM
I just noticed Chevy Trailblazer is also an IFS with Live axle setup.

RunnerUp
06-23-2008, 12:15 PM
Old thread revival I know... anyways, I got tired of not knowing anything so I sent an email to Toyota about this and I got a rather generic response. Its not making me feel good about the future of the 4Runner though, they should have plans in the works already if the new one is really going to drop in 2009 or 2010.

Here is the email.

Mr. ********,

We appreciate your continued interest in the 4 Runner!

We apologize; Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. does not currently have any announced plans to introduce a Prado or redesign the 4 Runner.

To receive information on the 4 Runner as it becomes available, please subscribe to our Current and Future Models FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #2008******** and is available for management review. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Quentin Holmes
Toyota Customer Experience

Good Times
06-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Can you say canned response?

Originally it was due 2009 (this fall) but with the lackluster sales I'm sure they're pushing back to 2010 (next fall). If prices of fuel continue to rise who knows what will happen. A diesel variant would sure be sweet though.

RunnerUp
06-23-2008, 03:03 PM
while a diesel version would be sweet, with the current price of diesel about 20-40 cents above premium (atleast here in florida) i doubt they would take that track with it. hopefully gas prices come down so we get another generation of a timeless classic.

Seanz0rz
06-23-2008, 03:26 PM
i expect to see a hybrid system in the new 4runner. for us, probably not a welcome addition, but we are a very small demographic, and shrinking because of high gas prices.

hopefully the next one will be smaller than the current one. id like so see something on par with a 2nd gen in terms of size (not that there is alot of difference among the years), or smaller. but maybe that cuts into fj cruiser territory?

paddlenbike
06-23-2008, 04:44 PM
I am prepared to be completely disappointed by the 5th gen 4Runner. Let me guess...it will be larger with no diesel engine, no manual transmission, push-button 4WD without locking diff(s), indepedent rear suspension, and even lower than the 4th gens.

corax
06-23-2008, 05:12 PM
i expect to see a hybrid system in the new 4runner. for us, probably not a welcome addition

why not? instead of talking about air filters and exhaust, we could start talking about wiring Mega Farrad capacitors to the motor . . . :great::

tulsa_sr5
06-23-2008, 05:19 PM
i expect to see a hybrid system in the new 4runner. for us, probably not a welcome addition

why not? instead of talking about air filters and exhaust, we could start talking about wiring Mega Farrad capacitors to the motor . . . :great::

And a new 'gray wire' mod to force it to elec only for submarine mode...

Lee
06-24-2008, 05:08 AM
I am prepared to be completely disappointed by the 5th gen 4Runner. Let me guess...it will be larger with no diesel engine, no manual transmission, push-button 4WD without locking diff(s), indepedent rear suspension, and even lower than the 4th gens.
pretty much my biggest fear :laugh:

KZN185W
06-27-2008, 03:38 PM
200 series? Land Cruiser? Do you mean 130 series LC??

Toyota changed chassis code to 200 series just before releasing the 2008 LC

Seanz0rz
03-09-2009, 08:58 AM
http://wardsauto.com/ar/toyota_4runner_place_090305/

YOUNTVILLE, CA – Although it has been on the market for seven years and its SUV brethren are on the chopping block, the 4Runner still has life left in it, a top Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc. executive says.

“There are plans (for a new 4Runner),” says Bob Carter, Toyota Div. group vice president and general manager.

He declines to provide details on timing, but a Ward’s product-cycle forecast indicates a new 4Runner is due for the ’10 model year.

“(The 4Runner) is an important nameplate that’s been with us since ‘84,” Carter says. “We’re fortunate that just like Prius, it carries a lot of brand equity. (The) 4Runner is right there with it; it’s an important part of the franchise.”

While he acknowledges the “market has definitely shifted toward” CUVs, Carter says Toyota still sees an opportunity to capture buyers who want a rugged, off-road-oriented midsize SUV capable of towing.

In fact, Carter says Toyota could gain market share as a result of moves by some auto makers to swap their midsize SUVs for new CUVs, such as General Motors Corp.’s elimination of its Chevrolet TrailBlazer in favor of the Traverse and Ford Motor Co.’s plans to go unibody with its next-generation Explorer.

good news for us! now dont go mucking this up toyota!

DHC6twinotter
03-09-2009, 09:18 AM
I ran across this a few weeks ago on another forum. The OP is claiming that one of these two vehicles is the 2010 4Runner, but there seems to be some confusion about it. It could be the new GX and/or Prado as well.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/attachment.php?s=fc2e5cd992ac4fdd6cd0e0072a3b5e54&postid=340567

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/attachment.php?s=fc2e5cd992ac4fdd6cd0e0072a3b5e54&postid=340797

I think we will see a 4.6 in the next 4Runner. Hopefully a 6spd and elocker as well. :D

Scuba
03-09-2009, 09:32 AM
The top one looks like a GX more, But possibly could be it..

The bottom one, No way..hah

:bling:

YotaFun
03-09-2009, 10:50 AM
The top one could very well be the next 4Runner.
While it already has the nice 4.7l and now e-locker capable
it would be nice to see the 6 speed mounted to it, oh and hopefully have a t-case that isn't selectable lo hi AWD....

DHC6twinotter
03-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Yeah, I think the top one looks more like a 4Runner and the bottom one a Prado or GX460. I kinda like the looks of both, especially the bottom one. The top one could use some different headlights and round fog lights, but the grill looks a bit like one found on the current sequoia and Tundra. :D

Also, some rumors have been going around that Lexus may be discontinuing the GX, and if this is the case, that the new 4Runner may actually just be a rebadged Prado.

Now I'm really curious to see if there is any merit to these sketches. :thumbup:

And if Toyota decides to discontinue the 4Runner but offer us the 70 series Land Cruiser instead, then I won't complain at all. :D

YotaFun
03-09-2009, 12:32 PM
And if Toyota decides to discontinue the 4Runner but offer us the 70 series Land Cruiser instead, then I won't complain at all. :D

I would rather eat S*** and die then have Toyota discontinue the 4Runner....
That's just my personal opinion :D

RunnerUp
03-09-2009, 12:35 PM

I would rather eat S*** and die then have Toyota discontinue the 4Runner....
That's just my personal opinion :D

you need to tell toyota that

DHC6twinotter
03-09-2009, 01:17 PM
I dunno...as nice as the 4Runner is, I'd take a built 70 series over a built 4Runner any day. Solid axle front and rear, manual tranny, diesel....

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a256/DH6twinotter/Montana%2008/IMG_1688.jpg

:D

Good Times
03-09-2009, 05:05 PM
The current series 120 platform consists of the FJ Cruiser, Tacoma, GX, Prado (internationla0 and the 4runner. With the slowing economy I think Toyota would trim the platform line and make/design vehicles that are cross platform and international. That way you have a single prado/4runner design that can be widely used without designing something completely new. The only difference would be the engine/transmission configuration and some other misc items.

At any rate I would suspect that the new 4runner would be identical to the international prado designs that will be out soon. Works for me either way cuz that just means a more streamlined aftermarket support (which helps the vendors and manufacturers due to the cross platform compatibility).

Someone want to buy me the new next gen one? ;)

YotaFun
03-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Someone want to buy me the new next gen one? ;)

Can I get your current one for Free?

paddlenbike
03-09-2009, 09:38 PM
I would like to see VCM (variable cylinder management) on the new 4Runner. My co-worker's Honda Odyssey van gets 27 mpg in 3 cylinder mode on the highway. If he runs it slightly faster to kick it out of economy mode the mileage drops to around 20. 7 mpg is a huge improvement.

KZN185W
03-10-2009, 02:44 AM
The grill of the first pic has the outline of the 4Runner.

I hope it won't look like that...doesn't look good though..hope that isn't the final design

Seanz0rz
04-16-2009, 02:00 PM
http://jalopnik.com/5215124/2011-toyota-4runner-first-look

The 2011 Toyota 4Runner was spotted out in California wearing a thick suit of camo-armor. The new 4Runner seems to retain the shapes which make it recognizable, along with a revised hood-line and headlights.
http://jalopnik.com/assets/images/gallery/12/2009/04/thumb800x800_3447522461_727973cd9f_o.jpg

looks alot more squared away, a welcome change for me at least!!!

DHC6twinotter
04-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Is it me, or does that A pillar look more steep? I hope they don't put the FJ cruiser front end on it like they did on that concept a while back. :confused:

Does the spare tire look like it is hanging lower than the past 4Runners? Maybe they are including fold flat 3rd row seating.

YotaFun
04-16-2009, 08:08 PM
I hope its still body on frame and 6 lug lol!

Seanz0rz
04-16-2009, 08:15 PM
its confirmed body on frame.

as for 6 lug, i think thats a pretty good possibility, but there's still a chance it isnt. if it isnt, it better be M14 bolts...

KZN185W
04-18-2009, 01:37 AM
wooohooo!!!

that's welcome news!!... Toyota didn't merge / make it into a PLAY-DO..

YotaFun
04-18-2009, 10:42 AM
YES! Body on frame baby! I wonder if it still has a solid rear axle too?

Good Times
04-18-2009, 05:31 PM
I would think so since the 4runner would share the prado series.

DHC6twinotter
04-18-2009, 06:38 PM
Anybody have any engine/tranny guesses for the 5th gens?

I'm guessing the new 4.6 V8 with the A760 6spd auto as an option, with the current 4.0 V6 and A750 5spd auto as standard. Maybe an available 6spd manual tranny with the V6 as well. :D

Crinale
04-18-2009, 09:41 PM
Anybody have any engine/tranny guesses for the 5th gens?

I'm guessing the new 4.6 V8 with the A760 6spd auto as an option, with the current 4.0 V6 and A750 5spd auto as standard. Maybe an available 6spd manual tranny with the V6 as well. :D

id guess your probably correct on ur assumption

KZN185W
04-19-2009, 01:00 AM
OT: on what vehicle is the 4.6 V8 used on? I presume this is not the 4.7L 2UZ-FE..

Crinale
04-19-2009, 01:06 AM
A quick look on Edmunds tells me the 4.6 is the v8 version used in the top model Lexus GS and LS models... all the trucks still use the 2uz (4.7), and this will probably continue in the 5th gen 4runner... engine options will probably be the 4.0 v6, or the 4.7 v8

I wonder if the 4.6 is related to any of the other v8s toyota has... the 4.3 in the sc430, the 1uz/2uz family, or the 5.7...

DHC6twinotter
04-19-2009, 11:59 AM
OT: on what vehicle is the 4.6 V8 used on? I presume this is not the 4.7L 2UZ-FE..

A quick look on Edmunds tells me the 4.6 is the v8 version used in the top model Lexus GS and LS models... all the trucks still use the 2uz (4.7), and this will probably continue in the 5th gen 4runner... engine options will probably be the 4.0 v6, or the 4.7 v8

I wonder if the 4.6 is related to any of the other v8s toyota has... the 4.3 in the sc430, the 1uz/2uz family, or the 5.7...

Yep, both you guys are right. The current 4.6L 1UR motors are used in the GS and LS. The GS uses the 1UR-FE, and the LS uses the 1UR-FSE (direct injection and dual throttle bodies). While both engines are derivatives of the 1UR, they have pretty different power outputs. Toyota will be introducing a 4.6 backed by the A760 6spd auto in the 2010 Tundras and probably also the Sequoias. While I haven't seen anything that says it is another derivative of the 1UR, I think it's a pretty safe bet. The 5.7L engine in the Tundra is the 3UR-FE.

More info: http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=7337.msg65820#new

This is all speculation, and I think the GR series of motors are still fairly young, but it wouldn't surprise me if Toyota ditches or improves the 1GR 4.0 motor during the 5th gen mid-life refresh around 2015 or so. If the 4.0 lasts that long, it would have been in US vehicles for 10 years, which is longer than the 3.0, 3.4, or just about any other Toyota V6 motor that I can think of. For all I know, Toyota may introduce a new V6 when the 5th gens come out, but I think we would have heard about it by now.

Just speculation...for all I know, I could be completely off. Maybe we'll see the current motors transfered over. :thumbup:

Anyways, just my $.002. :D

RunnerUp
05-03-2009, 04:50 PM
so if the 4runner is getting refreshed in '10 shouldnt we start seeing some pretty good spy shots this month or next? considering they usually drop around september?

Crinale
05-03-2009, 11:05 PM
we should... but it may not be targeted by many spy photographers... cuz lets face it, its another mall crawler to most people...

Good Times
06-24-2009, 04:34 PM
Here's the latest info on the 2010 4runners: (Due out Aug 2009)

* Enhanced Rugged Sporty exterior styling - Not sure what this means but I'm guessing it'll "look" offroad capable? (who knows)
* Overall Height is 1.2" taller
* Overall Width is 0.6" wider
* Overall Length is 1.6" longer
* Ground clearance is 0.6" higher
* New 4.0L V6 Engine with Dual VVTi (268HP, 273lbs-ft)
* New 2.7L L4 Engine (161, 184)
* Standard Tow Hitch (oddly I thought this was already a standard on the 4th gens)
* Improved interior comfort with higher h-point and better headroom, improved IP and easier to use HVAC controls with available dual zone climate control (about time cuz the 4th gen HVAC buttons are retarded...)
* 40:20:40 Split folding 2nd row seat with recline (eh I'm not diggin this at all)
* available 50:50 split fold flat 3rd row seat (sounds like a minivan!)
* New Off-Road options: Crawl Control (huh what's this? I'm guessing it's like the current DAC), Multi-terrain Assist (again huh?), KDSS (Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System - this was found in the GX and is complicated), Active Traction Control (basically means no lockers)
* Available Smart Key System
* Available Auto Dimming Mirror w/ Rear Camera Backup Display
* Available 20" Blinger Wheels
* Available USB port with head unit iPod control & Satellite ready radio
* Available Safety Connect including Automatic Crash Notification, Stolen Vehicle Tracking, SOS Button, and Roadside Assistance (First Year Subscription included)
* Available Sliding Rear Cargo Deck that support 440lbs.
* Rear Gate Speakers and a sound optimization mode for tailgate listening (interesting... does this mean the rear window doesn't slide down anymore?)
* Star Safety System including 8 airbags (wow welp in a rollover you'll be safe!)

A few notable concerns.
The 5th gen will be larger but won't have the v8 option. I wonder if the v8 option will be only available for the Lexus GX model? (If so that sux donkey balls. I'm glad I have my v8!) At any rate the 4cyl option really does make it sound lame considering how much it'll weight (based on the increase in size). No info on the tranny configuration so I'm guessing it'll utilize the same 6 speed auto found in the FJ and Tacoma. Solid rear axle will remain since its a shared platform with the Tacoma / FJ and GX. Expect the Tacoma to be revised in 2012 and the FJ to follow suit right after (if they decide to continue building it).

Now to try and get my hands on one and really break it! :chair:

2010 FJ Cruiser - Minimal changes - new color (Army Green replaces Voodoo Blue), revised v6 and steering radius improved by 1.1ft. No info on the Tacoma.

YotaFun
06-24-2009, 05:04 PM
if the rear window doesn't roll down, its not a 4Runner anymore!
Sounds interesting, time to dig up some spy photos

CJM
06-24-2009, 09:49 PM
Honestly Im not digging anything they keep churning out by anyone these days. Everything is plastic, from the bumpers to half the body. I highly dislike this as it takes away from style imho that a truck should have and takes away from the ruggedness look imho.

I understand since plastic crumples vs metal its safer but geez, the last few gens of the 4Runner, the FJ Cruiser, Tacoma and the Tundra all seem to have gone plastic out the wazoo. At least Ford with the super duty (08 and lower) had a good balance. I am not a fan of the plastic and probably will stick with older trucks b/c imho they are safer as they will deform but not break into a zillion pcs. I seen what happens when a new dodge ram met a jeep commander the other day, lol plastic everywhere.

DHC6twinotter
06-24-2009, 10:01 PM
I'll be bummed if they don't have a V8. The 4 banger sounds kinda week for a vehicle that large too. The 4 cylinder must be the same 2.7 motor that just came out for the Venza.

I'm curious if this new 4.0 is still part of the GR series of motors. I'm guessing it is.

Scuba
06-24-2009, 11:39 PM
2.7 is the same motor they've been using in the 05+ taco's..

Good Times
06-25-2009, 12:25 AM
The 4.0 will be updated so it'll pump out a bit more (236->268). But I suspect it'll still be part of the GR series.

The 2.7 is what really throws me off cuz for the size of the 4runner, it'll seriously be underpowered. I wonder if its one of those it's an option to get the 2.7 but won't be offered in large quantities? The strange part of the details is that the 2.7 is suppose to be 161hp/184 lbs-ft and from those numbers that's a significant loss of hp (20) so I'm wondering if this was thrown in there by accident? (i.e. suppose to be for Tacoma but accidental copy/paste).

As for the plastic comment I'm not that worried because once the plastic bumpers are replaced with steel bumpers it'll be in great shape for a bit of armor challenge with other plastic vehicles. Safety on these newer vehicles are amazing compared to the older vehicles so if it was me, I'd always want to be driving a newer safer vehicle cuz technology has come a long way.

If you don't believe me check out that video of the smart car going head on with a camry! That thing looked like a tin can but the occupants survived! Try that with an old Datsun 510 or even a Civic hatchback. I don't think the occupants would survive similar accidents.

At any rate I'll be excited to see what Toyota has to offer. I'm sure it'll just make it more difficult to modify your truck.

DEATHRUNNER
06-25-2009, 09:44 AM

If the top doesn't come off, it isn't a 4Runner.

YotaFun
06-25-2009, 10:54 AM

If the top doesn't come off, it isn't a 4Runner.

I gave up hope for that a long time ago. I just want to keep my rolling down rear window...

CJM
06-25-2009, 07:33 PM
Safety or not, the style is disgusting to me.

KZN185W
06-27-2009, 06:21 AM
the items in post #48 seem the same to those of the 2009 Prado which will be introduced in August 2009 at the Tokyo Motor Show. does that mean the there won't be a 5th gen 4Runner? and a new Play-Doo will be introduced instead? hope not!

slosurfer
06-27-2009, 08:06 AM
* Available Sliding Rear Cargo Deck that support 440lbs.
* Rear Gate Speakers and a sound optimization mode for tailgate listening (interesting... does this mean the rear window doesn't slide down anymore?)

That sliding rear cargo deck sounds bitchin'! :thumbup:

I bet it will still have a slide down window, I think all that speaker/stereo stuff is just so you can push one button and have the stereo optimized for listening out the back with the gate open. Instead of messing with your settings to change the balance/fade so you get more coming out the back, you just hit one button, then when you get back in to drive, hit the button again and your settings go back to where they were. :thumbup: I doubt it messes with the window function at all. Either that or they are going to put speakers on the very bottom of the gate so that when it is opened, you have a set of speakers pointing out towards the party. That's even cooler! :thumbup:

DHC6twinotter
06-27-2009, 08:39 AM
I just hope it doesn't look anything like this:

http://66.160.188.111/.eea004e/cmd.233/enclosure..eea004f

That's ugly.

And if they are only going to offer the V6 or I4 motors, lets hope they have a 6spd manual option. :D

YotaFun
06-27-2009, 12:43 PM
I just hope it doesn't look anything like this:

http://66.160.188.111/.eea004e/cmd.233/enclosure..eea004f

That's ugly.

And if they are only going to offer the V6 or I4 motors, lets hope they have a 6spd manual option. :D

I forgot about the FJRunner...
Yeah a manual trans option would be very nice.

KZN185W
06-28-2009, 08:01 PM
i believe there will be a V8 option. the "no v8" is only for the play-doo. the north american 4Runner will have a V8 option. the 4th gen even had that option. i don't see a reason why the 5th gen won't have it.

except for the Lexus GX470, the play-doo never had a v8..but the 4th gen 4Runner had.

Good Times
06-28-2009, 08:16 PM
I too hope that the 5th gen 4runners will include the v8 as an option. One problem Toyota face is the strict CAFE standards mandated by the government. For 2010, all trucks under 8k will need to meet the average mpg of 23.5. 2011 will be even tougher!

With Toyota having the Land Cruiser, Sequoia, 4runner, FJ Cruiser, Highlander, Rav4, Tundra and the Tacoma, it's really going to be tough to meet that 23.5 mpg goal. So I suspect the 4runner will not have the v8 and have that "super rare pimped out" 4 cyl just to meet the cafe standards. I just don't see any other logic as to why a larger 4runner compared to the 4th gen would now have a 4 cyl that won't be able to push the darn 4runner.

Lexus on the other hand only has the LX (Land Cruiser), GX and the RX so I think they might be able to squeak away with the v8 in the GX and still meet the 23.5 mpg goal.

I hate to think negatively but that's my thoughts on the v8 not showing up on any literature I've seen to date. :(

DHC6twinotter
06-28-2009, 08:22 PM
Yeah, that's a bummer though.

Maybe the 2.7 will be part of a hybrid system? The 2.7 only puts out a few more hp than my 3.0, so it's kinda hard to believe they expect it to move something as large as the 5th gen.

If Toyota offers a diesel in the 5th gen, I bet they could do better than that 23.5mpg goal. :D

Good Times
06-28-2009, 08:32 PM
Diesel would be a great option but until the Tundra comes out with a diesel option, I doubt we'll see Toyota pushing a diesel for any other vehicle. They may instead push for the hybrid since they threw a lot of $ into the r&d. The highlander/rx hybrids has been a great hit so who knows we might see a hybrid in a 4runner first :confused:

DHC6twinotter
07-03-2009, 05:37 PM
Here's a pic I found today. It's probably old, but I haven't seen it yet:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=333274&stc=1&d=1245272023

YotaFun
07-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Still looks like its six lug :-)

DHC6twinotter
07-03-2009, 08:10 PM
I think this is going to end up looking like a cross between a Highlander and an FJ Cruiser.

KZN185W
07-10-2009, 09:37 PM
yes, still a 6-lug. the 2010 (to be released in august 2009) play-doo also has 6 lugs:

http://www.pradopoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6320

looks more like a rav4 on steroids

YotaFun
07-11-2009, 10:40 AM
I really hope thats not the new 4Runner.
I really really hope its not gonna be that...

DHC6twinotter
07-11-2009, 10:57 AM
I really hope thats not the new 4Runner.
I really really hope its not gonna be that...

Yeah, I agree....that looks pretty horrible.

DHC6twinotter
07-11-2009, 11:13 AM
I found this part kinda interesting:

"Now here is the hit: One car in the whole flock had a V6 – 4.5L – 286HP – Petrol Engine with reported 46KG-m of torque (almost similar to the LC100 V8)..."

Could this guy have been confused with the 4.5 turbo diesel V8, or will Toyota really offer a 4.5L V6? I think Toyota still offers the 4.5L 1fzfe I6 overseas, so maybe this is an updated version of that motor? [Edit: On second thought, I don't think Toyota ever offered that motor in the Land Cruiser Prado, but in 70/80/100 series Land Cruisers instead...Interesting]

DHC6twinotter
07-11-2009, 04:44 PM
I found this computer rendering that is supposed to be of the Prado, but it looks a bit different than the one pictured in KZN185W's post.

I know this is just a computer rendering, but I have a huntch the new 4Runner will look very similar to this, but with a slightly different headlights, front end, and c-pillar:
http://www.drivearabia.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/p1.jpg

Compare it to these:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=333274&stc=1&d=1245272023

http://s3.amazonaws.com/images.nachofoto.com/b-2011-Toyota-4Runner-4e55ac01af81.jpeg

Most of the body lines on the computer generated model match the body lines that can be made out behind all the camo. Even the overall shape of the tail lights shown in the model can sorta be seen behind the camo. They look like highlander tail lights.

Also, rumors have been going around about a 2 door Prado. Could we see a 2 door 4Runner as a replacement to the FJ Cruiser?

I dunno....maybe I'm just going crazy with all the anticipation. :confused:

slosurfer
07-12-2009, 08:37 AM
the hood and grill in that last picture kind of remind me of the new tundra

Seanz0rz
07-12-2009, 09:46 AM
i just pray that it doesnt look like the new tundra!!!

YotaFun
07-12-2009, 10:16 AM
I would rather it look like the new tundra then the other ones that were linked or posted...

MTL_4runner
07-13-2009, 05:08 PM
I would rather it look like the new tundra then the other ones that were linked or posted...

X2

I had high hopes but I've lowered the bar after seeing these spy shots. Man, if that Prado is really the new 4Runner, you can count me out of buying one (with the sole exception of a diesel version). I'd rather own a 07+ Tundra crewcab or a 08+ Highlander. Seems like Toyota really displaced the 4runner with the increased size of the Rav4 and Highlander (the market for offroad is quite small compared to the soccer mom demographic). I'll still be curious to see the final 2010 4Runner product hopefully this fall.

paddlenbike
07-13-2009, 05:35 PM
It's so difficult to draw anything conclusive from the spy photos. I really like the overall appearance of the latest model Highlander and even the newer Rav4s are much more adult-like and attractive than they ever were in the past. The powertrains sure are impressive too, with the Rav4 making 268hp. Let's just keep our fingers crossed that the 4Runner gets some of these good attributes without losing offroad capability or getting too big dimensionally. IRS would be a major step in the wrong direction.

MTL_4runner
07-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Saving these pics to the thread in case the links are lost.

Seanz0rz
07-13-2009, 06:30 PM
thanks jamie, i was just thinking of doing the same!!!

cant wait till we find out. please dont disappoint toyota!!!

YotaFun
07-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Good Move Jamie!

I agree with what you also said about the other models.
From some of the spy photos, I would almost say it is IRS....
But still too early and too blurry to tell.

They just added the off-road edition of the 4Runner for 09,
hopefully they will continue those option into the 2010 version,
however with EPA regulations and the economy, it might be becoming like the latest ford explorer....

DHC6twinotter
07-13-2009, 08:07 PM
I read somewhere recently that there were going to be four different trim levels. Two of those trim levels were the Limited, as well as an offroad package with ugly black plastic. I don't remember where I ran across this info or what the other two trim levels were, but I guess it would maybe be a base trim and a sport edition. I also read that the offroad package (or whatever it will be called) will have a part-time tcase, while the limited with have full-time.

Now, whether any of this is true, I dunno...but that's what I gathered from a bit of reading. :hillbill:

paddlenbike
07-13-2009, 08:10 PM
Interesting. I saw my first off-road edition 4Runner on the street a few weeks ago. The fact that they aren't selling particularly well will not set a good prescedent for the 5th gen.

YotaFun
07-13-2009, 08:22 PM
That was going to be my next question.

Has anyone actually seen one of those rolling down the road.
OR how about the Urban Edition Runner?

I saw one urban edition at a Dealer down in DE and then I never saw it again, I asked if they had sold it but know one knew...
I have searched for more from dealers from hear to Roanoke with not findings....

so the 4th Edition ended with the following trim levels.
Base
SR5
Sport
Limited
Urban
Off-Road

The V6 equipped 4Runners had a t-case that allowed you to switch from 2wd - 4wd Hi or Lo

The V8 equipped 4Runners had a full time AWD t-case with the center locking diff and the ability to go from high to low Range.

Is it just me or in the spy photos does that SUV look a little higher?
even though it doesn't have Running boards?

DHC6twinotter
07-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Yeah, it does look kinda tall. Tires look tall and narrow too, imho.

Robinhood4x4
07-13-2009, 08:39 PM
I saw an urban one a little while ago up in sedona. It didn't quite look the same as my 4runner right next to it and it took me a while to realize what version it was. The white metallic paint looked good, but I wasn't a fan of the blingy wheels. Overall, I liked it, but it wasn't exactly off roady looking.

YotaFun
07-14-2009, 04:49 AM
I think the urban edition was designed for the college student who like to take road tips and just might need 4wd on the way....

Lee
07-14-2009, 05:35 AM
I saw an urban one a little while ago up in sedona. It didn't quite look the same as my 4runner right next to it and it took me a while to realize what version it was. The white metallic paint looked good, but I wasn't a fan of the blingy wheels. Overall, I liked it, but it wasn't exactly off roady looking.
thats why they made the new trail edition with the rear locker

i hate the rims on the trail edition though :laugh:

Good Times
07-14-2009, 10:21 AM
The likelihood that the 4runners will ever have an IRS is slim unless Toyota decides to make the Prado an IRS. Since Toyota now utilizes the Prado frame for the 4runner/Tacoma/FJ/GX, I doubt they'll want to make a separate one just for the 4runner. With sales slowing down significantly for larger SUV's I don't see Toyota taking the time to spend additional time and money on a different line just for the 4runner.

Also the rumors on the FJC being discontinued is slim too just because it's off the same line. Toyota can make different models off the same line without any major significant work so for them it's a big cost savings to be able to do this so I think we'll continue to see the FJC. I've also heard that the FJC will be marketed internationally too so I'm sure that'll help keep the FJC in production.

DHC6twinotter
07-14-2009, 03:42 PM
The likelihood that the 4runners will ever have an IRS is slim unless Toyota decides to make the Prado an IRS. Since Toyota now utilizes the Prado frame for the 4runner/Tacoma/FJ/GX, I doubt they'll want to make a separate one just for the 4runner. With sales slowing down significantly for larger SUV's I don't see Toyota taking the time to spend additional time and money on a different line just for the 4runner.

Also the rumors on the FJC being discontinued is slim too just because it's off the same line. Toyota can make different models off the same line without any major significant work so for them it's a big cost savings to be able to do this so I think we'll continue to see the FJC. I've also heard that the FJC will be marketed internationally too so I'm sure that'll help keep the FJC in production.

Somebody on the Prado forums said the new Prado will be available in 2 door form with a shortened wheelbase. Maybe the new FJC will be based on this?

Seanz0rz
07-14-2009, 06:16 PM

Somebody on the Prado forums said the new Prado will be available in 2 door form with a shortened wheelbase. Maybe the new FJC will be based on this?

or maybe the new prado will be based on the new FJC (or even old, is there any confirmation that the frames are much different between generations? ala 1st gen 4runner to 2nd gen save for rear axle)

MTL_4runner
07-15-2009, 03:25 PM
That was going to be my next question.

Has anyone actually seen one of those rolling down the road.
OR how about the Urban Edition Runner?

I saw one urban edition at a Dealer down in DE and then I never saw it again, I asked if they had sold it but know one knew...
I have searched for more from dealers from hear to Roanoke with not findings....

so the 4th Edition ended with the following trim levels.
Base
SR5
Sport
Limited
Urban
Off-Road

Most of those trims are pretty common except for the last two.
I attached pics for the Urban version but I can't find the Off-Road trim.
Can anyone post some pics or links to that version?

YotaFun
07-15-2009, 05:04 PM
Cause the off-road trim is known as the Trail Edition, my bad...

only thing that comes out different to me is the rims that remind me of the LC or the Jeep style rims.

YotaFun
07-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Oh for giggles, when I searched 2009 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition
This came up

slosurfer
07-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Oh for giggles, when I searched 2009 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition
This came up

:laugh: What a piece of shit! :flipoff: :laugh:

YotaFun
07-15-2009, 05:59 PM
:laugh: What a piece of shizzle! :flipoff: :laugh:

I miss that thing!
What a ride, even without the rear dialed in, it was fun!

DHC6twinotter
07-18-2009, 01:21 PM
I just ran across this on another forum (Club Lexus). I'm not sure how reliable this info is, but here it is:

Confirmed by Toyota this morning (7/13): 2TR engine in the 8630. Same 4 Cyl as the Tacoma.

2010 4RUNNER (6 Models)
NEW 8630 ZU5JR 2WD 4Dr. SUV SR5 4AT ECT 2TR
8642 ZU5JR 2WD 4Dr. SUV SR5 ( V6) 5AT ECT 1GR
8648 ZU5JR 2WD 4Dr. SUV Limited ( V6) 5AT ECT 1GR
8664 BU5JR 4WD 4Dr. SUV SR5 ( V6) 5AT ECT 1GR
8668 BU5JR 4WD 4Dr. SUV Limited ( V6) 5AT ECT 1GR
NEW 8670 BU5JR 4WD 4Dr. SUV Trail ( V6) 5AT ECT 1GR

DHC6twinotter
07-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Another picture of the 2010 Prado:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/attachments/gx-470-model/146341d1245990240-2010-prado-next-gx-001.jpg

It didn't look that good in the last picture, but I don't think it looks all that horrible in this one. :headscratch:

Robinhood4x4
07-18-2009, 02:50 PM
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/attachments/gx-470-model/146341d1245990240-2010-prado-next-gx-001.jpg

http://www.automedia.com/NewCarBuyersGuide/photos/2005/Mitsubishi/Montero/SUV/2005_Mitsubishi_Montero_ext_1.jpg

YotaFun
07-18-2009, 04:00 PM
I think I know why the new 4Runner is going to look the way it does.

I remember when I went to the Auto Show this year, when me and stepdad were looking at Lexus, we found it interesting how the GX interior looks pretty dang identical to the 4Runners.

Know we all know how the LX is also the Land Cruiser, and I think the RX is the same as the highlander or Rav4 (I think it is one of those two...)

So here look at the picture you posted and look at the GX
I say its just a redesigned GX that we are getting...
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a2/Nighthief/Lexus_GX470.jpg

Seanz0rz
07-18-2009, 04:39 PM
its no secret that the land cruiser prado (in other markets) is the lexus GX in america with minor sheetmetal tweaking:
http://images.drive.com.au/drive_images/Editorial/2009/03/06/prado_m_m.jpg

toyota long ago split apart the ranges in terms of badge engineering. no longer are lexi (plural of lexus) just toyotas with big L's on the back. the 4runner will get a distinctive body for the US and maybe other markets where it will be sold as the hilux surf. it will however, most likely NOT be identical to the prado.

Lee
07-18-2009, 06:16 PM
i thought the prado was a reworked 4th gen 4runner (or vice versa) and the gx was just a very lightly reworked prado??

Seanz0rz
07-18-2009, 06:22 PM
im saying sheetmetal wise. the 4th gen 4runner, 1st gen FJC, 1st gen GX, and 2nd gen taco are all based on the land cruiser prado 120 global platform and share the frame, suspension(save taco), and engine/trans choices (vary on market of course).

Seanz0rz
07-18-2009, 06:30 PM
here are the 3 side by side:
4Runner:
http://www.automedia.com/NewCarBuyersGuide2008/photos/2008/Toyota/4Runner/SUV/2008_Toyota_4Runner_ext_1.jpg
GX:
http://vlane.com/img/chrome/10483.jpg
Prado:
http://images.drive.com.au/drive_images/Editorial/2009/03/06/prado_m_m.jpg

i think that provides a much better look at how the prado and lexus are basically twins, and the 4runner is pretty well defined as its own vehicle (sheetmetal anyway)

DHC6twinotter
07-18-2009, 06:34 PM
i thought the prado was a reworked 4th gen 4runner (or vice versa) and the gx was just a very lightly reworked prado??

Yep, that is my understanding as well.

The GX, FJC, and 4Runner are based on the Land Cruiser Prado. The GX shares most of the sheetmetal with the Prado as well, whereas the FJC and 4Runner use different sheetmetal.

YotaFun
07-18-2009, 08:26 PM
well all in all,
I would rather the GX and Pardo keep there similarities
and the 4Runner still be its own with its distinct C pillar.

But I am sure with the way the Market is, the 5th gen will look like that...

Seanz0rz
07-19-2009, 09:01 AM
toyota tries very hard to keep the toyota and lexus cars looking different. they learned long ago that you cant just rebadge a toyota, throw leather seats in and call it a lexus. that is a lesson the big 3 are learning the hard way right now.

YotaFun
07-19-2009, 10:25 AM
toyota tries very hard to keep the toyota and lexus cars looking different. they learned long ago that you cant just rebadge a toyota, throw leather seats in and call it a lexus. that is a lesson the big 3 are learning the hard way right now.

This is true I agree.
Moms car is still almost a done up Camary, though still pitted side by side there are very many differences...

I guess its still a waiting period till we actually see a 4Runner badge on what ever the 5th gen 4Runner turns out to be

DHC6twinotter
07-26-2009, 07:57 AM
http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/news/spied/09q3/2010_toyota_4runner-spied/gallery/2010_toyota_4runner_28spy_photo_29_photo_2/2774105-1-eng-US/2010-toyota-4runner-103_cd_gallery.jpg

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/news/spied/09q3/2010_toyota_4runner-spied/gallery/2010_toyota_4runner_28spy_photo_29_photo_3/2774119-1-eng-US/2010-toyota-4runner-102_cd_gallery.jpg

Looks like some chrome trim around some of the gauges. I like the wheels too.

YotaFun
07-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Still 6 lug and still solid rear axle.
Def bigger and more squared out too.

slosurfer
07-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Definately taking on the front look of the tacomas. I'm kind of liking it.

The rims are just blacked out TRD rims.

DHC6twinotter
07-26-2009, 11:10 AM
I don't know if this is the Prado or the 4Runner, but here is a shot of the dash.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_XEEIzU0UA1M/SiGJHX2w4GI/AAAAAAAAOR8/Z9QEuH3LEuc/s400/03.jpg

I think this is a Prado, but not 100% sure.

garrett
07-26-2009, 11:21 AM

i would guess prado

slosurfer
07-26-2009, 11:49 AM
are the 4runners offered in RHD anymore in other parts of the world?

Good Times
07-26-2009, 12:06 PM
yup they're called "Prado" :)

slosurfer
07-26-2009, 12:12 PM
yup they're called "Prado" :)

:laugh: Yep, then I'm guessing that pic is from a prado. :) :laugh:

In that pic, the steering wheel looks uber ugly, but it's not a great shot and doesn't show how it flows with the rest of the interior. By itself though, it is ugly.

DHC6twinotter
07-26-2009, 12:23 PM
Are the Hilux Surfs (4Runner) no longer available in other parts of the world? I figured it was probably the Prado, but I wasn't sure if it could possibly be the Hilux Surf. :hillbill:

http://www.cars-directory.net/pictures/toyota/hilux_surf/pic_toyota_hilux_surf_9044.jpg

Scuba
08-27-2009, 11:11 AM
This just in folks, Teaser from Toyota USA

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3545/3862353338_a940d9ae92.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/toyotausa/3862353338/

Looks like goodyear MTR's with the Adirectional tread and a 1 piece front bumper/ Grille

Good Times
08-27-2009, 11:18 AM
looks good!

someone want to get me one? ;)

YotaFun
08-27-2009, 12:19 PM
From that view, it looks sweet,
But teasers still can lead to disappointment...

I want more!!

Scuba
08-27-2009, 12:22 PM
Well for discussion, I see a lower rear link, So that eliminates IRS...

Good Times
08-27-2009, 12:36 PM
I highly doubt we'll ever see the 4runner w/ IRS only because the 4runner now shares the same platform as the Prado sold overseas. Also since the Tacoma/FJ both share the same platform as the 4runner it wouldn't make sense to just make an IRS just for the 4runner.

I suppose they could rebuild one out of the Sequoia but I doubt it's worth the time and the R&D to do it. Simplifying their designs by building cross-platform vehicles are the way Toyota's gonna be able to cut costs and build variations on a single platform.

The new 5th gen 4runners will look interesting and anyone who says o the new 4runners won't be able to offroad will be in for a surprise cuz so far every gen 4runner has been very capable on the trail. The only difference is what kind of trails :tapedshut:

Scuba
08-27-2009, 02:00 PM
More pics here :

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/09q3/2010_toyota_4runner_spotted_undisguised-car_news

DHC6twinotter
08-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Wow...not bad at all! The limited model looks nice! That one picture looks like there is still a power rear window too! :thumbup:

Scuba
08-27-2009, 04:21 PM
Yeah I was looking for that too. Anyone notice the huge "4RUNNER" on the rear licence plate surround, looks kinda kool..

DHC6twinotter
08-27-2009, 04:57 PM
I think it would make for a really nice expedition rig. :D

YotaFun
08-27-2009, 07:42 PM
It's Still 6 Lug and it still has its rear window, and its still SRA!!!

Its still a "4Runner"

However, anyone notice as the generations go on, there rear goes lower and lower?
I don't know but that looks like a HUGH @$$ on that baby...

DHC6twinotter
08-27-2009, 07:50 PM
However, anyone notice as the generations go on, there rear goes lower and lower?
I don't know but that looks like a HUGH @$$ on that baby...

Yeah, I agree with that. Seems like a lot of space between the top of the bumper and bottom of the tail lights. From what I've see so far though, I think that is my only complaint. An aftermarket bumper with a tire carrier would hide all that. :D

Good Times
08-27-2009, 08:06 PM
something about that rear bumper is much to be desired. it'll be pretty difficult to build something just from those images cuz the side panels seem to be seamlessly integrated into the rear bumper.

anyone notice the 4wd shift lever? guess they're going back to the mechanical lever instead of the electronics that the 4th gens have.

i wouldn't mind one if i had $ to burn :)

YotaFun
08-27-2009, 08:18 PM
Lance I did notice that, and I am sure they probably did that cause the FJ cruiser is set up the same way.

I wonder if the newer Tacoma's will also have that integrated into them.

Good Times
08-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Tacoma's aren't due for another 2 years (2012) but I'm sure it'll utilize the same engine/tranny similarly to the 4th gen. I think the original carryover was from the GX since they still went w/ the traditional lever system. Not sure why the 4runner got the electronics when I would think the electronics would be more of the "luxury item" compared to the old school lever system.

At any rate, the new 4runner looks good from the grainy images. I'd like to see one in person to really absorb the coolness of the truck :)

Robinhood4x4
08-27-2009, 10:26 PM
I think it'll be easier to make a rear bumper because it looks like old school bumpers where you just need a 2x4 steel tube to protect everything. Take off that bottom piece that runs the width of the truck and replace it with steel.

I think the front will be harder.

Scuba
08-27-2009, 11:30 PM
Lance, Look closely at the rear, its not "seamless" just hard to see from the crappy camera that was used..
I outlined the line here, look at the original pic very closely and you can see it..

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a168/Sycosurfer150/4Runnerrear.jpg

Same with the front
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a168/Sycosurfer150/4Runnerfront.jpg

I dont think bumpers will be too hard to come up with..

YotaFun
08-28-2009, 02:32 AM
Lance, iirc didn't the GX eventually go to electronic as well?
The only reason I mentioned FJ is because it looks practically Identical to the FJ Cruiser 4wd lever...

None the less, I too am looking forward to seeing this next gen in person, I am also curious to see what packages they will be carrying over from the later 4th gens...

MTL_4runner
08-28-2009, 06:15 AM
Kinda has a beefed up Highlander front end that we pretty much all expected.
Not a bad looking truck, but I'll wait for better photos before commenting more on the design.

Good Times
08-28-2009, 09:25 AM
stephen if the rear bumper lines are right there it won't be that bad then.

avy, did the gx's go full electronic? i know the 03's were the lever and i wasn't all that happy to see that cuz i really wanted the lever instead of the dial. not that it was a deal breaker at this point but it would have been nice the other way around. lookin at the pic it does look like the fj lever they're using. at any rate i'm glad the lever is back :)

jamie, i agree with ya in that the front looks like a supersized highlander or a smaller version of the sequoia.

it's due out in a few weeks so it'll be nice to see the new 4runner in the lots. i'm just disappointed that the v8 got yanked :( now i'll compromise with a diesel in there instead if they opt for that! haha :)

DHC6twinotter
08-28-2009, 09:38 AM
I read somewhere that the limited was going to have a different tcase than the trail model (or whatever it's called). Maybe the limited will have push button, while the trail model will have the lever? I dunno. I like the lever though.

I'm bummed that there isn't any V8 too, but a diesel or even a 6spd manual would help offset that bummerness.

YotaFun
08-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Lance I was mistaken, cause I just checked the 09 Gx and the lever is still there and looks exactly like the one the 5th Gen will have lol!

I am trying to figure out what I was thinking of, I know there was one SUV that I was looking at that went from the stick to the dial, that or I was dreaming (happens lately with the lack of sleep)

Yeah I would love a manual option at least this time around, maybe if they have a trail edition they will offer that, it would be basically taking it from the FJ or Tacoma and putting it in the 4runner then

Lee
08-28-2009, 12:54 PM
I am not liking what I'm seeing at all.

my 4th gen I thought was too much of a departure from truckiness and into soccer mom highlander styling... this is much farther!

calrockx
08-28-2009, 04:04 PM
I see some kinda cool aggressive lines, but am agreeing with Lee here.

Tho..I didn't much like the 4th gen at first, and that has grown on me...modded ones at least.
Oh well, I'm still digging the 3rd gen styling.

Seanz0rz
08-29-2009, 09:54 AM
from autoblog:

"SR5 models will feature 16- or 17-inch wheels, a dozen airbags (front, side, curtain, and knee), as well as a standard backup and clearance sensor, an eight-speaker stereo with a special tailgate mode, and a telescoping steering wheel. Options will include leather, power seats, the aforementioned third row seating, a power moonroof, as well as audio upgrades, a 400-watt outlet, and Safety Connect (think: Toyota OnStar). The I-4 model will be outfitted like an SR5 V6, albeit without the option for leather seating surfaces and with the inclusion of black fender trim.

Stepping up to the Trail spec will yield consumers some useful off-roading kit, including Crawl Control, protective rock rails, Adaptive Terrain Management System (A-TMS), and a locking rear differential. Other bits include a standard moonroof, sport seats with waterproof fabric, Optitron gauges, an electrochromatic rearview mirror with backup camera, a hood scoop, and a roof rack. Trail buyers will also be able to get such connectivity niceties as a USB iPod interface, Bluetooth, satellite radio, and so on. A navigation system, Safety Connect, and the 400-watt outlet remain optional.

That leaves the full-house Limited model, which doesn't exactly skimp on content. The Limited gets full-time four-wheel drive and Toyota's novel X-REAS suspension system (the purely mechanical system helps to counterbalance vehicle motions like roll and dive). On top of that, the Limited gets 20-inch wheels, a color-matched body kit, dressier aluminum roof rails, turn-signal mirrors, and a moonroof. Inside, the range-topping model also gets leather seating, keyless entry with push-button start, and a JBL audio system.

Upon receiving the 4Runner documentation, we reached out to Toyota for comment, and PR head Curt McCallister gave Autoblog what amounts to a 'no comment' – "Other than the teaser that ran yesterday over PR Newswire, no technical specs have been released on this vehicle yet." Similarly, we have no word yet on pricing, but the 2010 4Runner is scheduled to be revealed at the annual State Fair of Texas late next month, so we should know more soon enough."

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/28/exclusive-toyota-4runner-to-get-four-cylinder-model-third-row/

fricken sweet! a rear locker! looks like a NICE bit of kit. now lets hope its not horrible looking like the pictures lead you to believe.

DHC6twinotter
08-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Awesome! Nice to see they are offering the e-locker. :thumbup:

YotaFun
08-29-2009, 11:38 AM
Hmmm, me is thinking first payment plan of my life, lol jp.

I would like to see this thing already, I love the options availble for it

paddlenbike
08-29-2009, 04:39 PM
Wow, that is sounding really good. For some reason I was hoping for a disappointment since I really love my 3rd gen and I hate having the wants!

YotaFun
08-29-2009, 06:15 PM
what i am curious about is what suspension set up will be going on?
Is is still going to be like the FJ style, so someone can lift one of these bad boys really quick hehehe

slosurfer
08-29-2009, 07:01 PM
I've played around with the crawl control on my parents 200series. It is kind of cool, but funky. It sounds like it is tearing the vehicle apart, but seems to work pretty good. :laugh:

Scuba
08-29-2009, 07:22 PM
FIRST POST IN THE NEW SECTION FTW !!

:)

slosurfer
08-29-2009, 07:27 PM
i'm just disappointed that the v8 got yanked :( now i'll compromise with a diesel in there instead if they opt for that! haha :)

:laugh: After all your bitching about your gas mileage?!!! :laugh: :flipoff:

Seanz0rz
08-29-2009, 07:29 PM
i'm just disappointed that the v8 got yanked :( now i'll compromise with a diesel in there instead if they opt for that! haha :)

im glad someone finally said it...

YotaFun
08-29-2009, 07:33 PM

Yeah I was thinking about that too...
Maybe the following years they may introduce it again...

slosurfer
08-29-2009, 07:40 PM

You fail at "the quote" :laugh: :flipoff:

Seanz0rz
08-29-2009, 08:00 PM
wow i do.... how did that happen? i know the cat was walking over my keyboard at the time but wow....

post has been edited!

Seanz0rz
09-10-2009, 11:36 AM
http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/2010-toyota-4runner/

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/09/2010-toyota-4runner-large_1.jpg

YotaFun
09-10-2009, 11:38 AM
It's going to have to grow on me,
To me its like a Highlander Sequoia combo, with a little FJ in there somewhere...

Alright someone lift it and put some bumpers and tires on it :-P

Scuba
09-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Avy you nailed it, Highlander sequoia combo

I think it looks OK.

C pillar is too big for my liking, And the rear side windows are too small..

Scuba
09-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Bumper lines F/R are clearly wayy more visible, and that rear tail light was stolen from the Fj, rock magnent anyone?

Nick
09-10-2009, 04:23 PM
I hate the tail-lights/front headlamps...rock/tree magnet indeed. Those are some huge plastic bumpers. I dislike the little rear mirrors. The silver roof rack blows but that's a minor quibble.

My primary concern: will the V6 be as good as the current V8? Torque-wise and towing capacity wise. If it can't do 6000-7000 pounds comfortably then forget about it.

I've been thinking about the current V8 4Runner as a very real near future buy because I want to tow around a 18ft travel trailer without breaking a sweat/owning a larger vehicle such as a Tundra/Sequoia/Land Cruiser etc...

DHC6twinotter
09-10-2009, 04:48 PM
To be honest, I kinda like the design of the 5th gen. My only complaint is the rear looks a bit funky, and it looks like a front bumper would be a bit difficult to design for it. I like the interior though.

As much of a let down as the 4th gen was when it came out, I'm pleasantly surprised with the 5th gen. The V8 4th gen has grown on me enough for me to consider it for my next vehicle (no ugly cladding though), and I'm sure the 5th gen will grow on me as well. :thumbup:

YotaFun
09-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Much of the "off-road" package that they offer, those rims sure look bling.

I don't know personally if I had a choice between a 4th or 5th gen, I would choose the current 4th gen with the trail edition package.

As far as bumpers on this one, the front I can see being easier then the rear cause to me the rear looks lime it has a fat arse...
Also is it just me or Toyota adding more body? I don't know bu it just seems like there is more sheet metal then window on these things and they extend far down....

Body lift, suspension lift, some real bumpers and some meaty 33s on a less bling of a rim and I might like it.

I am starting to get more curious of the full interior.
If the stering wheel is as ugly as we think that might be a deal breaker for me.

(listen to me, it sounds like I am actually in the market for one lol, just got to wait till it's on the lots....)

Obi..
09-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Diggin the Satoshi grill! :hillbill: Interior's got the Fj modular set-up w/ the JBL woofer box..

*Lance, anyone tried to see if MV Designs (http://mvdesignz.net/) or Joe Bacal (http://joebacal.com/) to see if they have any insights here?
re: http://www.autoblog.com/2007/10/30/sema-2007-adventures-in-grafting-toyota-fj-runner/

They just finished up the Scion Truck concept and I'm sure they're keen to some ideas. Not that Toyota would listen to any of us at this point as they're still working on the whole switch to Texas for the stateside produced vehicles.

Joe just is off of the back of his win in Baja, and likely has seen or test driven by this point.

Maybe offer them "Exclusive Content" on the front page..hell of a lead-in oportunity for a 2010 UY Feature.

calrockx
09-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Yo 5th Gen, I'm really happy for you, I'm gonna let you finish, but the 3rd Gen has one of the best designs of ALL TIME!

YotaFun
09-15-2009, 04:22 PM
Yo 5th Gen, I'm really happy for you, I'm gonna let you finish, but the 3rd Gen has one of the best designs of ALL TIME!

:spit: :lol: :rofl:
Thats just so true but oh so wrong...

Lee
09-15-2009, 05:59 PM
low profile tires, american suv type body of over molded body lines, rav 4 head lights, protruding tail lights, waaaaay too much plastic

i really wish they'd decided to go beefy with it instead of wussy. :( would've made me regret buying my 4th gen... :laugh:

i love my 06 and all but it is definitely a step in the WRONG direction compared to my old 01 4r.

oh and it looks like custom front and rear bumpers are gonna look so goofy too... too bad.

Cebby
09-15-2009, 07:22 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/2010-toyota-4runner/

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/09/2010-toyota-4runner-large_1.jpg

It's official - it screams "soccer mom"... j/k

I actually like it - of course, I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee every day so WTF do I know...

Lee
09-24-2009, 11:22 AM
http://www.toyotadriverseat.com/pr/tds/rubicon.aspx

5th gen on the rubicon

Lee
09-24-2009, 11:24 AM
http://www.toyotadriverseat.com/pr/tds/2010-4Runner.aspx

Scuba
09-24-2009, 12:04 PM
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=157853?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..1 .*

mastacox
09-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Well my first impression was undecided, but I'm starting to think I like it better than the 4th gen... :loser:

Overall, I think you're right that aftermarket bumpers are going to be hard to come by with that giant molded plastic monstrosity on the front. Cal is right, 3rd gen still wins!

Edit:

The exhaust going under the transfer case looks like a bit of a rock anchor to me...

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/roadtests/roadtest/10.toyota.4runner.trail.grade/2010_4runner_det_toyota_ft_500_5.jpg

YotaFun
09-24-2009, 03:28 PM
I am loving this gen a lot!
It will be interesting to see one built.

I wouldn't mind rockin one, but I agree 3rd FTW!!!!!!!!

Scuba
09-24-2009, 03:38 PM
Yeah your kinda right on that brian.. Not to mention a total PITA to drop the case for whatever reason you have..

Also is it me or does that cv angle look pretty straight while the a arm looks to be at full droop..
That's kinda weird..

Seanz0rz
09-24-2009, 03:46 PM
its kind of a weird camera angle for the cv's. look like they are probably level when at ride height. means easier lifting for us!

i REALLY like it. maybe i can talk the g/f into buying one instead of a expedition!

Mossyrocks
09-24-2009, 04:32 PM
You know what...? I love the thing and Ill tell you why, if it was debadged, the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gen 4runners had never come out, and you hadnt heard of this; youd know it was the new 4runner without question.

mastacox
09-24-2009, 04:33 PM
They didn't really mention it, but is this what I think it might be?

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/roadtests/roadtest/10.toyota.4runner.trail.grade/2010_4runner_det_toyota_ft_500_7.jpg

Mossyrocks
09-24-2009, 04:34 PM
on a side note, in the future people with think this is the 4th gen... I think they have gone back to the basic design of the 3rd gen.

Seanz0rz
09-24-2009, 04:39 PM
brian, yes it is! trail edition FTW!!!!

YotaFun
09-24-2009, 04:57 PM
Brad your right, this is really starting to go back to 4runner roots

Scuba
09-24-2009, 09:46 PM
NOW THIS, IS WHAT IM TALKIN BOUT !!

Rock sliders on that bad boy already :)
http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/2010-toyota-4runner_100229634_l.jpg

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/roadtests/roadtest/10.toyota.4runner.trail.grade/2010_4runner_actf34_toyota_ft_500_2.jpg

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/roadtests/roadtest/10.toyota.4runner.trail.grade/2010_4runner_front_toyota_ft_500_1.jpg

I really do like it, It looks like its gonna be freakin awesome.
I think the real test for us is when we finally see one on the street..

YotaFun
09-24-2009, 09:50 PM
a bumper can be made i think, just has to be shaped a littel wierd but might be so worth it...

I am really diggin this Gen, I can't wait till one comes by to test drive!

Crinale
09-24-2009, 09:58 PM
ya the e-locker is mentioned in the insideline video...

Crinale
09-24-2009, 09:58 PM
@ scuba.. ya they had rock sliders made for the one that tackled the rubicon...

Scuba
09-24-2009, 10:04 PM
@ scuba.. ya they had rock sliders made for the one that tackled the rubicon...

WTF one went through the rubi !??

Thats baller..

Lee
09-25-2009, 04:27 AM
Yeah its one of the articles I posted.

also the only thing I really dislike are the bulging tail lights and the random black plastic up front that should be body colored...

Mossyrocks
09-25-2009, 02:10 PM
The front bumper is already in my head and let me tell you... Its seriously badass.

Yall are missing the good part of that one piece front bumper/ grille thing... you can shape and cap the bumper wherever and however you want!

garrett
09-25-2009, 03:13 PM
its good to see that toyota recognized the lateral stability problems and put a tail fin on the roof.

Obi..
09-25-2009, 06:25 PM
FWIW nobody go thinking it made it out of Rubicon unscathed. "Unbroken" mechanically, yes, but there was body damage, and (oddly enough? ;) ) in the same spots we all get them in. Right rear fender front, where the trim was coming up and back from the sliders, some light dimpling of the front fenders, and some tweaked metal elsewhere, but all strictly body damage, all of which "Will Buff Out". I was impressed with what little I got to see of it. Now what Toyota should do is (as far as here) put a piece of land aside and have a centrally located Demo area like they do at events. Heck, for that matter, I'll just drive half a block and borrow Land Rovers...imagine the look on their faces having a 4Runner and Land Cruiser play on their turf! :rofl:

Edit: Watched the official video, you can actually see some of the damaged right rear fender and quarter..they covered up the tail light chip with black tape or something though.

If I can get a consult/test drive like I did with the Venza, I'll try to do a write up or something.

YotaFun
09-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Can you post a link to that vid?

Lee
09-25-2009, 07:57 PM
its on here

http://www.toyotadriverseat.com/pr/tds/rubicon.aspx

5th gen on the rubicon

Nick
09-25-2009, 08:02 PM
and already dented! cool.

calrockx
09-27-2009, 09:10 PM
only 17/23 fuel economy. kinda disappointing.

mastacox
09-27-2009, 09:12 PM
only 17/23 fuel economy. kinda disappointing.

That's ok, it's got 280 horsepower.

calrockx
09-27-2009, 11:39 PM
i'd like to see a hybrid option . maybe in a few years there can be one with a minimal compromise on power for a big boost in mileage .

Lee
09-28-2009, 06:21 AM
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/24/2010-toyota-4runner-debuts-with-four-cylinder-trail-grade-model/

mastacox
09-28-2009, 07:07 AM
i'd like to see a hybrid option . maybe in a few years there can be one with a minimal compromise on power for a big boost in mileage .

I would MUCH rather see a turbodiesel option than hybrid... Each would cost about the same in terms of a price premium to the buyer, but a diesel would be far easier for Toyota to implement given they already have several diesels in their overseas lineup (it would also be a better option for an off-road vehicle, and would have towing advantages). I just don't buy into the hybrid hype that is rampant right now.

neliconcept
09-28-2009, 07:32 AM
more pictures if yall havent seen them

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/30614142+w750+st0/163_099_04z+2010_toyota_4runner+driver_side_front_ three_quarter_static.jpg

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/26413759+w750+st0/163_099_14z+2010_toyota_4runner+off_road-_controls.jpg

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/26413756/163_099_13z+2010_toyota_4runner+interior.jpg
http://image.trucktrend.com/f/30614148+w750+st0/163_099_05z+2010_toyota_4runner+drive_side_in_dirt .jpg
http://image.trucktrend.com/f/30614229+w750+st0/163_099_09z+2010_toyota_4runner+driver_side_rear_t hree_quarter_static.jpg

neliconcept
09-28-2009, 07:33 AM
btw it has a party mode button, im down with it,

calrockx
09-28-2009, 08:04 AM
I would MUCH rather see a turbodiesel option than hybrid... Each would cost about the same in terms of a price premium to the buyer, but a diesel would be far easier for Toyota to implement given they already have several diesels in their overseas lineup (it would also be a better option for an off-road vehicle, and would have towing advantages). I just don't buy into the hybrid hype that is rampant right now.

ooh yeah, that works too. i'm good either way. come on toyota, let's get on it.

YotaFun
09-28-2009, 01:04 PM
Man the more I see this one the more I want one, I think Toyota is finally starting to pull there heads out of there @$$, well.... just a little....

I would love a turbo diesel, that would be the ultimate engine to have.

While they have the options in overseas packages, they still have to meet the EPA regs here, which starting in 2010 or 2011, all diesels including Big Rig either have to have a zero emissions, clean burning diesel or a exhaust fitted for uriea (sp) treatment....

Lee
09-28-2009, 06:48 PM
you can now build one on toyota.com :)

it's growing on me... I don't like any of the stock rims though.

YotaFun
09-28-2009, 06:56 PM
I kinda like the trail rims cause they remind me of mickey Thompson classic IIs

jprunner
09-28-2009, 07:52 PM
It looks a little like the FJ Cruz and the FZJ 80.
I could get used to it!

YotaFun
09-28-2009, 07:52 PM
what i don't like is your really don't have a lot of options yet in the department of building the 4Runner, I can't find the option for trail edition and I don't have the option of having that red color.... and I can't get different rim selections...

Bob98SR5
09-28-2009, 09:18 PM
the first time i saw a 4th gen, i was really turned off by the grey plastic diapers. it was like seeing a larger version of a volvo awd station wagon :p

the first time i saw the 5th gen, i liked it. looks like they got the lines just right. ill reserve my final judgement when it comes out and after i test drive it. overall, looks like toyota did something right

Obi..
09-28-2009, 09:34 PM
;) I like it, if for nothing more than this reasoning..

This..
http://image.trucktrend.com/f/30614142+w750+st0/163_099_04z+2010_toyota_4runner+driver_side_front_ three_quarter_static.jpg

Equals this!
http://www.best-of-web.com/_images/080508-134021-199007.jpg

It's mean squinting at you! :D It's gonna attack whatever is in it's way!

DHC6twinotter
09-28-2009, 10:06 PM
http://www.toyota.com/img/vehicles/2010/4runner/gallery/full/int_2010_4runner_v6_sr5_1.jpg

:drool:

DHC6twinotter
09-28-2009, 10:12 PM
Toyota's site says the trail model is only available in black or silver, with "Salsa Red Pearl and Shoreline Blue Pearl expected availability late 2009".

I would like to see dark grey and a dark green available too.

YotaFun
09-29-2009, 04:03 AM
I like the salsa red pearl and would like to see that or the white (forgot name) in a trail edition package.
I thought they had a dark grey? And yeah it would be nice to see a green car on the road again...

Mossyrocks
09-29-2009, 03:07 PM
Im in love...

Good Times
09-29-2009, 03:36 PM
I really like the look of the 5th gens! Now I just have to figure out how to get one! :)

YotaFun
09-29-2009, 04:23 PM
I need to get a real job and it should be at a dealer, then I would get one in a heart beat, gotta start building credit at some point lol.
I think majority rules on this hitting the mark

Lee
09-30-2009, 07:02 PM
im gonna let it run 1 year, then see the improvements... if I like what I see, I'll try to grab a 2011 model! that's far enough in the future that I can pretend I'll want to spend that money :laugh:

DHC6twinotter
09-30-2009, 07:07 PM
Looks like it has a 40/20/40 split rear seat with an optional center console. :thumbup:

I do wish the Trail model had the same climate controls as the Limited, but I guess Toyota had to give the Limited something the Trail model didn't have. :(

I wonder if there is a side airbag shut off button like the Tacos have?

A 6spd manual, V8, and/or diesel options would just be fantastic. :drool:

I may have to pick one up when used ones start hitting the market in a few years.

calrockx
09-30-2009, 09:11 PM
i already want to see the steel front and rear bumpers for this thing. shoot, other goodies too.

neliconcept
10-01-2009, 03:22 AM
im gonna let it run 1 year, then see the improvements... if I like what I see, I'll try to grab a 2011 model! that's far enough in the future that I can pretend I'll want to spend that money :laugh:

i agree id rather wait a year or two, then they might have it perfected by then

Crinale
10-01-2009, 11:53 AM
i never buy first year models... even used... they always tend to have more issues the first year

DHC6twinotter
10-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Looks like there is a fold flat third row too:

"50/50 split fold-flat-into-floor third-row seating and sliding second-row with passenger-side one-touch walk-in function"

Sounds cool, but I wonder what the one-touch walk-in function is? Third row is not available on the trail model.

Scuba
10-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Looks like there is a fold flap third row too:

"50/50 split fold-flat-into-floor third-row seating and sliding second-row with passenger-side one-touch walk-in function"

Sounds cool, but I wonder what the one-touch walk-in function is? Third row is not available on the trail model.

Maybe its an auto open door like on a sienna ?

Seanz0rz
10-04-2009, 09:01 PM
thats really disappointing that the 3rd row isnt available on the trail edition.

calrockx
10-05-2009, 08:13 AM
thats really disappointing that the 3rd row isnt available on the trail edition.

actually, it's not. true story.

Cebby
10-06-2009, 05:30 AM
Unfortunately, that's the only way I'd consider getting one - trail edition with 3rd row seat. I thought they finally were going to offer the combination I'd really want (never really wanted one of those lumbering giants to get 3 rows) Wonder if there is a way to retrofit a 3rd row seat...

YotaFun
10-06-2009, 08:45 AM
If there was a way to get a 3rd gen with a 3rd row seat, I am sure there is a way to get one toneork in a 5th gen, even if it is custom ordered...

DHC6twinotter
10-06-2009, 09:15 AM
I'm guessing that the space taken by the under floor rear storage box that is standard on the Trail and Limited edition is where the optional 3rd row seat on the Limited folds down into. Based on that assumption, I would guess a 3rd row could be thrown into the Trail edition, although the 2nd row would probably have to be replaced if the sliding 2nd row seat function is wanted.

http://www.toyota.com/4runner/options.html

DHC6twinotter
10-06-2009, 09:26 AM
Also, since the under floor cargo box and 3rd row seat is optional on the SR5 model, I'm curious if that spot would be just a bunch of wasted space under the vehicle if neither option is selected? :headscratch:

slosurfer
10-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Looks like there is a fold flap third row too:

Maybe its an auto open door like on a sienna ?

I bet it is one button you press to get to the third seat. It probably electrically folds down the second seat that you use to access the 3rd row.

Okie81
10-06-2009, 01:31 PM
btw it has a party mode button, im down with it,

I like the party mode button too; although it's always a party when you're in a 4runner. :thumbup: Definately a sign that they're looking for a market outside of the soccer mom realm.

YotaFun
10-07-2009, 11:38 AM
I was at the Toyota lab today at school.
All I can say is I like there computers ;-)

I don't recall reading in any of the literature that has been posted but I have found out that there will be 2 transfer cases available for the 4Runner.
A Full-Time 2-Speed Case which comes in the form of a dial
and
A Part-Time 2-Speed Case with center diff lock which comes in the for of a lever.

I will be trying to find out more details tomorrow on it since I am going to try to spend lunch time there.

If anyone has any info that they would like me to try to find out, go ahead and post it here and I will do my best to try to get an answer for you.

slosurfer
10-12-2009, 02:46 PM
http://www.fourwheeler.com/videos/6223104/2010-toyota-4-runner-to-the-rubicon/index.html

Seanz0rz
10-12-2009, 02:48 PM
chris, you owe me $24.99, for a package of these:

http://s133702574.onlinehome.us/pictures/blog/crappedmypants.jpg

Scuba
10-12-2009, 02:52 PM
http://www.fourwheeler.com/videos/6223104/2010-toyota-4-runner-to-the-rubicon/index.html

Must be nice to wheel something and not care.
They beat the living shit outta that thing..

DHC6twinotter
10-12-2009, 02:53 PM
I want one! :drool:

Seanz0rz
10-12-2009, 02:58 PM
i dont think they beat on them that hard. note that there are at least 2 4runners. one with no headlights and some camo, and another production ready version

YotaFun
10-12-2009, 03:00 PM
With Bumpers and some 33s that thing would be good to go!
Dangum I want one sooo bad now!!!!

slosurfer
10-12-2009, 03:02 PM
compliments of Norcalborn

http://www.flickr.com/photos/toyotausa/

DHC6twinotter
10-12-2009, 03:04 PM
I just went to the Toyota website, and I can now build one. Looks like they are offering "magnetic grey metallic" in addition to the black, "shoreline blue pearl", "salsa red metallic", and "classic silver metallic". So, it looks like more colors to pick from.

The "Options and Pricing" part looks like it is still in the works. Hopefully they will have a different wheel option. :hillbill:

YotaFun
10-12-2009, 03:06 PM
Really diggin the interior of all three package.
This is gonna be SHWEET!!!

YotaFun
10-12-2009, 03:06 PM
I just went to the Toyota website, and I can now build one. Looks like they are offering "magnetic grey metallic" in addition to the black, "shoreline blue pearl", "salsa red metallic", and "classic silver metallic". So, it looks like more colors to pick from.

The "Options and Pricing" part looks like it is still in the works. Hopefully they will have a different wheel option. :hillbill:

YAY!!! Salsa Red, Would love to get a trail edition in that color

Seanz0rz
10-12-2009, 03:20 PM
as far as i can see, trail is only available in black and silver :(

DHC6twinotter
10-12-2009, 03:24 PM
Huh...try with 28314 zip code. It's showing me all the same colors as the Limited edition, except for the pearl.

http://configurator.setbuyatoyota.com/ie4_page.asp?host=www.toyozone.com&dealer_code=32076&carname=4runner

Toyota's east coast site is horrible compared yours, so maybe they've still got bugs to work out over here.

The vehicle summary for one I just built says this:

Model: 4Runner Trail Edition 8670 - V6 Trail Edition Color: Salsa Red Pearl Interior: Black Upper Seat/Graphite Lower IP

Trail Grade $0
Voice-Activated Touch-Screen $2420

YotaFun
10-12-2009, 03:30 PM
yeah the est coast site sucks :-(

Seanz0rz
10-12-2009, 03:37 PM
wow, your site is horrible. try 91768. id love the blue color! i REALLY want a green one though :(

DHC6twinotter
10-12-2009, 03:53 PM
The west coast site looks way better. The salsa red was supposed to become available later this fall, so maybe the east coast has it listed prematurely? I dunno. I thing a dark green would look really nice too.

I noticed that the west coast site made me select the KDSS when selecting the navigation. bummer. That made it about 2 grand more than a build from my zip.

YotaFun
10-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Dan, i was thinking about the green too, is there any Toyota Available in green anymore?

Seanz0rz
10-12-2009, 03:57 PM
unless that navi unit has topo maps in it, its WORTHLESS!!!!

i have no idea what the kdss is, and i cant really find much about it

DHC6twinotter
10-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Dan, i was thinking about the green too, is there any Toyota Available in green anymore?

The 2010 FJ Cruiser is available with an army green color, and the Tacoma has some sort of green color that was introduced not long ago either. IIRC, the Tundra is available in green, but not sure on that.

unless that navi unit has topo maps in it, its WORTHLESS!!!!

i have no idea what the kdss is, and i cant really find much about it

Yeah, true, but I just think the dash looks better with the nav unit. I don't know what KDSS is either, but I do know it was an option on the GX470. I don't really want it since it's probably one more thing I'd have to deal with if I was going to do a lift on a 5th gen.

Seanz0rz
10-12-2009, 04:08 PM
i dont want it either. i dont think any of us really need any of that stuff that it comes with, but especially stuff that messes with suspension and such.

tundra has a spruce mica which looks horrendous on the internet at least. army green looks pretty good on the FJ. throw some metallic in it and put it on the 4runner and we'd be good. camry has the same color as the tundra, prius doesnt come in green (silly prius). sequoia and taco have a timberland mica, but its too light it looks like. land cruiser has amazon green metallic which is pretty nice.

YotaFun
10-12-2009, 04:33 PM
interesting
i don't see green anymore, like i amke t a point to try to spot one and i just can;t lol!!!

Scuba
10-12-2009, 04:42 PM
I believe KDSS stands for kinetic dampening suspension system, I believe it has settings for street and trail so on the trail it articulates more.. There's plenty about it in some of the reviews that are listed in the few pages before this one..
I like the fj in army green, be kool to have it on the 4runner to

DHC6twinotter
10-12-2009, 04:57 PM
I saw a Taco with the Timberland Mica a few days ago, and it is a really nice green color. It would look really good on the 4Runner, especially with the black trim. The Pyrite Mica on the Taco is kinda different, and it looks really good as well.

The Camry Hybrid used to have a green color that looked like metallic vomet. Ugliest color I've ever seen. Doesn't look like they have it anymore. The Spruce Mica looks good, and I could see it on a 4Runner.

On a different note, does the 5th gen have LED tail lights? It doesn't look like it in the pics, but it's kinda hard to see.

DHC6twinotter
10-12-2009, 04:59 PM
I believe KDSS stands for kinetic dampening suspension system, I believe it has settings for street and trail so on the trail it articulates more.. There's plenty about it in some of the reviews that are listed in the few pages before this one..
I like the fj in army green, be kool to have it on the 4runner to

Sounds interesting. I'd like to see electronic disconnecting sway bars like the Dodge Power Wagon has. :D

YotaFun
10-12-2009, 05:03 PM
I like the spruce mica on the Tundra,
the timberland mica on the taco looks too faded....
The Army Green on the FJs is practically perfect imho!
The Amazon green of the on the Land Cruiser looks like puke...

Just my .02, still would be nice to see more green on the road
I thought "Well they say geniuses pick green." lol

YotaFun
10-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Dan the Lexus Version of the land Cruiser has teh KDSS I believe