PDA

View Full Version : Rear defroster repair kits?

scottiac
02-21-2008, 01:36 PM
I took my 4runner in to the stealer to have them do a quick diagnose on my non-functional rear window defrost. They said I would have to replace the entire window ($600) to fix it.

Uh, NO. :shake:

Has anyone ever used the rear defrost repair kits (I picked one up from Napa Auto parts for $10) to try and repair the electrical leads in/on the window?

p.s. They also said I would have to replace my front headlights for $600, since they couldn't adjust the aim height (one adjuster was thrashed, the other "just didn't work"), and they wanted $200 to get a new rear hatch latch plate, because mine jams, and lubricating it didn't seem to help. WTF? :chair:

(For you Sacramentans, it was Maita Toyota, with whom I have always had a hate-hate relationship...)

paddlenbike
02-22-2008, 08:35 AM
Hi Scott,
The window paint should work just fine. I used it on my Honda Accord when some cargo scratched off a portion of the circuit and opened it up. Is there a noticeable location where the circuit is damaged or is it just not turning on? I can help with either...

Ken

scottiac
02-22-2008, 08:39 AM
There is voltage at the side traces, but at least some (if not most) of the horizontal traces aren't showing it. I haven't gone over it myself; the stealer showed my a couple open traces. It looks like it should be a parallel circuit, so I am wondering how much damage there might be. Part of this weekends project... assess the damage for myself.