PDA

View Full Version : How often do you use your winch?

cooldry
02-22-2008, 09:33 AM
For those that have winches, how often do you use it? Is it something more of a want than a need?

thanks

BruceTS
02-22-2008, 09:45 AM
It really depends on what you do..... I lost count on how many times I've used mine

cooldry
02-22-2008, 09:56 AM
Hey Bruce, thanks for chiming in. Do you mind me asking which winch you have? And do you find it does the job well? I was looking at the Warn M8000 and the XD9000. I can't imagine needing more than 8000lbs. I mean the trucks don't even weight that much.

calrockx
02-22-2008, 12:41 PM
it's a good idea to have a winch capable of working 1.5x your vehicle's weight...

How much Winch do you need?

Recommended winch capacity over vehicle weight. Typically manufacturers and resellers will suggest you should calculate the winch rating by taking the gross vehicle weight and multiplying it by 1.5 and that would be your minimum winch size. But this minimum rating is just that, a minimum. Certain factors can quickly cause your winch capacity to be exceeded so you need to think about your intended usage. Be aware that certain terrains and situations can put a much greater demand on a winch over the typical 1.5 multiplication rule of thumb. For instance a common cause for winching is mud. Mud however has an incredible suction force on a stuck vehicle and in many cases that 1.5 rule of thumb is far inadequate. Steep hills and frequent winching also put great demand on an electric winch. Understanding the purpose and safe use of winch accessories such as a snatch block can be invaluable when you need it most.

i've got an m8000. been happy with it. haven't used it on myself yet, but have helped out some other trucks with it. there will likely be a day I need it for myself and that's especially when i'll feel it was money well spent. sort of an "insurance" policy, ya know

cooldry
02-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Thanks for that article. Makes my search much easier.

xonetruthcrewx
02-22-2008, 01:37 PM
I also have a Warn M8000. So far i have only used it on others. Like Charles said, one day i just may need it for myself, and it will all be worth it then. Check out www.winchdepot.com. I got my M8000 shipped from them for 550. I have even seen it on that site for as low as 505 shipped.

4x4mike
02-22-2008, 02:32 PM
I don't have one on my 4runner yet but when I had it on my truck I used it all the time. I've used it on myself, others, old trees and bushes as well as a big dumpster at my old work. I liked knowing it was out there on the bumper though. Nothing worse than getting stuck alone and wondering if you'll have to spend the night somewhere. Damn, I miss those days.

4runnerchevy
02-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Don't have one, but wish I did. I would probably go more extreme if I had one. If I had one I would probably roll my truck, just because I have one. I do have a wench, and she can dig pretty good, and tow a 8k comalong line up a hill.

Good Times
02-22-2008, 05:50 PM
The 1.5x rule is definitely a good rule to follow. Though the bigger the winch the heavier it gets so keep that in mind too. Just keep a snatch block and that'll instantly double your pulling power :)

4runnerchevy
02-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Rule 1.5x, 2 blocks for 2-way blocking, 160' spool, 4 straps, 2 clevis, a good eyelet on your bumber around center of winch ( for blocking ).

TRACKER
03-10-2008, 12:43 AM
i used mine everytime i go out and play
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f124/slow86crx/hollister%20hills%20%20CA/chai11.jpg
or helping others
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f124/slow86crx/hollister%20hills%20%20CA/106_1097.jpg

4runnerchevy
03-10-2008, 06:16 AM
Hey TRACKER, I swear thats Hollister Hills.

Ric
03-10-2008, 09:27 AM
i got to use mine about 4 times on sunday, :D not on myself, but others, it just depends how much it gets used... when needed, Im soo glad I have it..

TRACKER
03-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Rule 1.5x, 2 blocks for 2-way blocking, 160' spool, 4 straps, 2 clevis, a good eyelet on your bumber around center of winch ( for blocking ).

Hey TRACKER, I swear thats Hollister Hills.
yes it is .. we are going back there the weekend of 28th

4runnerchevy
03-10-2008, 12:22 PM
I thought it looked familiar. I don't live too far away. I have spent alot of time there, testing some of my creations, in the mini-con, white rocks and the Trap. Never needed a winch though. Maybe I am not trying hard enough.

04 Rocko Taco
03-10-2008, 12:28 PM
I dont think the question is how OFTEN do you use your winch, but instead how IMPORTANT was your winch when you had to use it?

TRACKER
03-13-2008, 11:22 PM
I thought it looked familiar. I don't live too far away. I have spent alot of time there, testing some of my creations, in the mini-con, white rocks and the Trap. Never needed a winch though. Maybe I am not trying hard enough.
where 's the white rocks? i only been there twice . sorry to high jack ...

carry on

wifesaysimadumbass
05-06-2008, 09:01 PM
i used mine last weekend but only to pull my gas tank skid back into place after a good high centering.... the time i thought it was most important was when i had a chance of going over backwards on a hillclimb that i got way out of shape on.... it sure was nice having someone else being able to grab the cable and pull me back down rather quickly... that one would have probably destroyed my rig so to me that time it was priceless

corax
05-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Since we have winch thread going . . . it seems like most people go with Warn, is there any advantage over similar rated Milemarker? Is it reliability, speed, or just brand loyalty?

BruceTS
05-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Wow almost forgot about this thread....

My most recent winching experience was out in Johnson's Valley after getting high centered when I changed directions going up a steep slot. After several attempts to get free, my 4Runner ended up sideways close to rolling back down the slot. Sitting at 35 degrees I decided it was time to use my winch and get free before I did something really stupid.....

Here's the video of the action......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuQpGQQ3CHo

Good Times
05-06-2008, 09:52 PM
My last winch was a Warn M8000. Got a lot of abuse in Moab, UT and saved us a lot of headache at widowmaker (I think that's the trail it was). At any rate the winch has saved me countless hours and the peace of mind having one :)

Right now I'm winchless but hopefully I'll score a really cheap M8000 or a bigger model through CraigsList. If not I'm going to try a Superwinch :D

cooldry
05-13-2008, 09:56 AM
Since we have winch thread going . . . it seems like most people go with Warn, is there any advantage over similar rated Milemarker? Is it reliability, speed, or just brand loyalty?

X2

RunnerUp
05-13-2008, 04:01 PM
i have a 9.5xp warn on my truck, blown the motor 3 times due to the shop installing it foot foward without rotating the motor so the drain holes could function. since i fixed it, been working well.

but, I HATE WINCHING!!!! maybe its the steel cable, or maybe its just that its a pain to do, if I can get pulled out by someone else or pull someone else with a tow strap then ill go that route 99% of the time.

though it is really nice to have, i use my air locker EVERY time i go out, cant say that about a winch, unless you suck at driving.