PDA

View Full Version : PS Rebuild

freejake3
02-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Anybody know of a write-up on rebuilding a PS pump for a '95 Runner. The leak in mine is getting worse and I could use some direction on how to best approach it. The rebuild kit is around 40$ so I'd rather save the extra 200$ on labor and do it myself.

Thanks in advance

Cebby
02-23-2008, 09:53 PM
I thought Steve (Robinhood4x4) had done a writeup, but I didn't see one on his site. Hmmm, where have I seen that??

Marc P
02-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Here you go Andy...

http://members.cox.net/stacewilliams/ps-pump.htm

http://128.83.80.200/TACO/box.html

freejake3
02-25-2008, 07:55 PM
Nice Marc - thanks for that. I need to rebuild my pump so that should do just fine. The only speed bump people have had - from what I've read - is getting the pulley off the pump. I'm getting ready to order the rebuld kit and go for it. ENough of that fluid leaking on the components below it.

What do you guys recommend for the fluid? I have heard good things about ATF but was leaning towards straight PS fluid - maybe synthetic at that.

Thanks for the help.

slosurfer
02-25-2008, 08:30 PM
I have always heard to never use PS fluid in these toyota PS systems. I don't remember why but I do know that it was a good reason.

4runnerchevy
02-26-2008, 07:37 AM
Use ATF, if you must use syn., then go syn. ATF.

Tankota
02-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Anyone know if the 22r PS pump is similar to the V6 pump? Mine is leaking pretty good too.

Where are you getting your rebuild kit from Andy?

04 Rocko Taco
02-26-2008, 01:48 PM
any research or published reasons behind the ATF vs PS fluid argument?

Tankota
02-26-2008, 02:57 PM
I haven't read any actual research on this question. But I do know that every late model heavy duty Class 8 truck that I've worked on, specs ATF for the steering system, and it is used in alot of older ones too.
The general consensus from my fellow technicians is that ATF is better for both the pump and the box. ATF is a highly refined mineral oil and very high in detergents, it therefor keeps all component internals clean. I seem to remember(from school) that ATF is high quality 30W oil with all kinds of special additives mixed in.
Some systems spec for actual PS fluid, while others Spec ATF. You can run ATF in the system that specs PS fluid. But you can't run PS fluid in a system that specs ATF.

Another interesting thing about ATF is that you can substatute 1/2 - 1qt of engine oil with ATF when you do an oil change. Its detergents basically wash down the internals of your engine and prevent sludge and build up from clogging passages. Even doing it every other oil change will keep stuff clean.

I've also read that you can add ATF to diesel fuel to clean internal fuel system components.

Robinhood4x4
02-26-2008, 04:12 PM
I thought Steve (Robinhood4x4) had done a writeup, but I didn't see one on his site. Hmmm, where have I seen that??
Nope, not me.

4runnerchevy
02-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Take a air nozzle and submerge it in p.s fluid and blow air into it, notice how many bubbles are produced. Then do it to ATF and tell me how many bubbles are produced. Take down the time it takes for the bubbles to go away. Besides Detergent values ATF fights cavitation, in whatever way. I am no scientist, but I am sold on ATF.

freejake3
02-26-2008, 08:03 PM
Anyone know if the 22r PS pump is similar to the V6 pump? Mine is leaking pretty good too.

Where are you getting your rebuild kit from Andy?

I'm pretty sure the pumps are the same. As for aquiring it - I go through NTP (Northridge Toyota) - ask for Christy when you finally get the parts department. Tell her you are a member of #$@*Tech and you'll get a 25% discount. Evan was the original hook-up when we all used to frequent that site but I see no harm in continuing our relationship. I've saved mass dough on parts since using NTP.

Thanks for all the input regarding the ATF - I will be using that for sure. I'm guessing I could fluch the fluid in my Taco and switch it out as well.

slosurfer
02-26-2008, 08:21 PM
They are a sponsor here as well, so you can tell them you are from here to get your discount.

freejake3
02-26-2008, 09:08 PM
They are a sponsor here as well, so you can tell them you are from here to get your discount.

Sweet - I should have guessed as much. I'd rather go that route anyway.

Tankota
02-26-2008, 11:16 PM
Wow, I'll def have to hit them up.

freejake3
03-05-2008, 09:18 AM
Finally got around to ordering the rebuild kit ($30). What's my best approach for draining all the existing PS fluid as I'm going to replace it with ATF?

4runnerchevy
03-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Pull your hoses, rebuild it, fill it with ATF. After you bleed all the air, drain it via the hoses then refill it. Most of it wiil be gone. Check your manual for what type of fluid. I have a GM and Hydro-Assist, I run ATF. I don't know whats right for a Taco.

04 Rocko Taco
03-28-2008, 05:34 AM
going to be doing this very soon for my '84 22R pump also. How different are the pumps on the SFA trucks? Any, or are they the same?

freejake3
05-19-2008, 03:44 PM
Finally got around to doing the re-build. Not too bad at all - it was nice working on it in the garage once off the truck. Anyway, I refilled it with ATF. Is it a really big deal if there was residual PS fluid in the lines after I filled the pump/reservior with ATF. Should I rush to drain it again.

4runnerchevy
05-19-2008, 04:37 PM
Is it a really big deal if there was residual PS fluid in the lines after I filled the pump/reservior with ATF. Should I rush to drain it again.

ATF doesn't mix well with P.S. Fluid. I would do a flush since you went through the effort to rebuild it.

going to be doing this very soon for my '84 22R pump also. How different are the pumps on the SFA trucks? Any, or are they the same?

I don't think there is much of a diff. Maybe different seals.