PDA

View Full Version : Newb in from Valencia CA . . .

corax
02-25-2008, 08:12 AM
. . . but soon to be moving out of the communist state of California to Oregon. I'm definately not new to Toyota, just this board.
This is what my current truck looked like when I bought it for 1k - '88 4runner - trans shot - clutch gone - no RF rotor (brake pads were squeezing the cooling vanes) - rear drums seized - wheel bearings shot - interior mildewed & wet (rear window stuck open) - rusted fenders all around - god awful conversion van graphics down the side
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/839/4r1lk5.jpg
a few months ago at Hungry Valley ORV - MarlinCrawler HD built W56 trans - Marlin diff armor - 4.56:1 V6 third members - home fab F & R bumpers - 32x10.5-15 BFG A/T ebay tires on ebay rims - 7MGE Supra swap - home fab lower control arm brace - now to start the expedition travel mods (tire/can carrier is next to be built)
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/4221/4r2mb5.jpg
almost looks factory, doesn't it? next week we'll see if the Smog Referee likes it
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/3096/4r3fc4.jpg

slosurfer
02-25-2008, 08:16 AM
Welcome to UY! Let us know how the smogging goes. Nice 4runner, I bet it really scoots now. :thumbup:

Tankota
02-25-2008, 08:50 AM
Nice looking rig. Yea, I'm curious to see how the whole thing with the smog ref goes too.
What are specs on that motor. Like hp and torque?

Bob98SR5
02-25-2008, 09:02 AM
i believe the laws are, so long as the motor is the same year or newer than the vehicle *and* passes smog, youre ok. correct me if i'm wrong, someone

BruceTS
02-25-2008, 09:21 AM
i believe the laws are, so long as the motor is the same year or newer than the vehicle *and* passes smog, youre ok. correct me if i'm wrong, someone

Actually it's a bit more complex than that, Marlin went through quite a bit to get his to pass inspection even though it passed smog emissions.....

slosurfer
02-25-2008, 09:23 AM
I think a lot of it depends on how picky the smog referee is. Even though it passes smog, they have the last say.

4runnerchevy
02-25-2008, 09:33 AM
Having done the 5MGE, 7MGE, and a 4.3 (current). Smog refs can be picky depending on who you get. Same year or newer (including the month), all smog from the Supra (including airbox, and exhaust). No Mods, cause it might confuse them. Remember smog refs are sometimes not mechanics or fabricators. Make it as straight forward as possible. Do not stand behind the ref while he works, but be there to answer questions. When you call for an appointment just say motor change, not swap. The person on the other end will not know what you are talking about. It is sometimes good to take it to a smog inspector that has an old machine and get it pre-tested, so you know it will pass the sniffer, and fuel filler test.

Good Luck!

P.S. After the smog, get some CA legal headers, cause 5M's and 7M's blow head gaskets at the rear, due to heat trapped by the stock manifold.

slosurfer
02-25-2008, 09:40 AM
^^That's some great info! You should start a "smog referee" thread where those who go through it can enter what they went through and learned about the process. This always comes up in the motor swap threads but the info is hard to find in those long threads. Seems that you have a lot of experience in this category, now I know who I'll be calling if I ever have to swap out my 3.0 :D

4runnerchevy
02-25-2008, 09:43 AM
Luckily my ref has seen alot of swaps besides me. He knows whats right and whats not. JTR also has alot of info (Jags That Run).

Here

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Chevrolet_S-10_V-8_Smog.html

good reading for all swaps

corax
02-25-2008, 10:41 AM
Nice looking rig. Yea, I'm curious to see how the whole thing with the smog ref goes too.
What are specs on that motor. Like hp and torque?

naturally aspirated 7MGE (what I swapped in) was ~200hp and 198 ft/lbs torque
turbo 7MGTE was ~230hp and 240 ft/lbs torque, but is harder to fit due to intercooler piping
the whole swap cost me less than $1000 with everything from a junkyard except the engine (JDM import)
if you want to look into it, check out www.supracharged.com

all smog from the Supra (including airbox, and exhaust)

.P.S. After the smog, get some CA legal headers, cause 5M's and 7M's blow head gaskets at the rear, due to heat trapped by the stock manifold.

I hope they're not too picky about the exhaust because to keep it tucked out of harms way I ran it under the Cressida oil pan (with heat shielding of course). 4-2 on the cast manifold, twin pipes under the oil pan, a 90 degree, then 2-1 and back to the stock location of the cat. If I want to put a header on, I'd have to completely redo the exhaust, unless I can find one that only replaces the top half . . .
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/9986/dscf1368zh4.jpg
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/2127/dscf1370no7.jpg

cooldry
02-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Wouldn't it be easier to pass in Oregon than in Cal?

corax
02-25-2008, 11:16 AM
probably, but the Virginia plates expired 2 years ago & the wife will driving the truck up, so I'm looking for no hassles. If it doesn't pass, the trailer will block view of the plates anyway. Medford Oregon (about where I think I'll go) only requires emmissions on vehicles 20 years old or newer, so on an '88 I'm almost clear there (maybe I'll grab a turbo & manifold from one of the Pick A Part junkyards before I leave :) )

Tankota
02-25-2008, 12:58 PM
If you dont pass, just get one of those temp stickers. I ran those for about six months last year.

corax
03-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Let us know how the smogging goes. Nice 4runner, I bet it really scoots now. :thumbup:

Took it in on Friday ot the smog ref up at Antelope Valley College in Lancaster. It passed all the visual / functional tests, but failed for high NOX on the "sniffer" part of the test - most likely a catalytic converter issue. Yesterday redid my exhaust a bit and moved the cat converter ~ 3 feet closer to the engine which should cause it to light off sooner & clean the exhaust better. If that doesn't do it, I'll probably get a new converter