PDA

View Full Version : 1 Ton MC Swap

blacksheep
02-25-2008, 04:58 PM
Decided this mod had been in the garage long enough.(2 years). Bought the 1 ton chevy swap from Rockstomper. Already had Crown Brake Lines with Female flared 3 JIC connections connected to a 10MM Banjo.

Unscrew the banjo fitting off, went down to Crown, had them make some adapter 6 inch lines. Lucky, you can bend these at 90 degrees cause the new MC was so large, they pressed against the Vacuum Box. I should have had them put 90 degree bends, to late now.

Anyways, back to the adapters. Took the banjo out, so that it gave me a female 3 Jic. Had Crown make 2 six inch lines. One with a 9/16"-18 Male Inv. to a 3 JIC. And the other had a 1/2"20 Male Inv. to a 3 JIC. And on both ends had a male to male 3 JIC to connect to the old lines that I had. That was it. Connected the six inch lines to the old crown lines, and boom, I GOT 1 TON BRAKES!

Could have use a few diff versions of fittings ect, but I wanted to be able to go back to the old setup if for some reason I did not like the new setup. Or if this MC went out, I could carry my old one for a spare. Doubt I will need it, but who knows.

The MC bolted right up with ease.

$30 bucks from Crown for the lines and fittings, and $95 for MC and Adapter plate from Rockstomper.

Total:=$ 125.00

Thanks Rockstomper & Crown for all the parts and help. Will def. be back!
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e12/blacksheep312/P2210389.jpg

Brakes work about 30% better then stock. I can now lock up the tires with out having to push the pedal to the floor, and even with the stock MC they still did not lock up.

Links:
MC Swap Kit
http://rockstomper.netfirms.com/shoppingcart/nfoscomm/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=65
Brake Lines & Fittings
http://www.crownperformance.com/

Tankota
02-25-2008, 05:12 PM
I've thought about doing this swap for a while. You also have 1 ton brakes right? I wonder if using this setup on smaller brakes would make for an excessively stiff pedal?
I have IFS calipers up front and El Dorado calipers in rear.

blacksheep
02-25-2008, 06:43 PM
That's funny, I have the same rear breaks. Yea, 1 Ton Disc all around. I needed it. I would stay with what you have. I was running the stock MC with the rig built like it is now for 2 years, and drove to the trail and back up and down mountains, and breaking was still good.

I just wanted more response, and harder braking.

freejake3
02-25-2008, 07:59 PM
Nice Mike. If there's anything worth improving it's the braking system - especially with 40's. BTW, I would never have guessed the engine bay was that clean given what scars adorne the outside of your girlfriend.

Robinhood4x4
02-25-2008, 08:40 PM
I've thought about doing this swap for a while. You also have 1 ton brakes right? I wonder if using this setup on smaller brakes would make for an excessively stiff pedal?

Which brake booster are you using? If it's the stock size one then swap to a late model booster if it turns out braking is too stiff.

Tankota
02-26-2008, 07:47 AM

Which brake booster are you using? If it's the stock size one then swap to a late model booster if it turns out braking is too stiff.

I still have the stock '81 booster, mine has been modified a little for more sensitivity. But my pedal is still a little stiffer than I'd like though. I think some of this is because I have an ajustable prop valve for the rears and have to have it tightned way down to keep the rears from locking all the time.

Sorry - dont mean to hijack your thread Blacksheep.

blacksheep
02-26-2008, 09:12 AM
I have the Porp. valve for the rear as well, but I can lock the rear up just before the front which is where you want it at.

As for the stiff ness in the pedal, it actually feels just like stock. Just better braking power with less push.

blacksheep
02-26-2008, 07:48 PM

Hey dude, I saw your rig today about 5:45 coming down the 805 going over the * Brdige. I was in the black Jetta that passed you on your left in the fast lane at 95 MPH, I was like, wow nice yota! :)

Tankota
02-27-2008, 08:58 AM
Hey dude, I saw your rig today about 5:45 coming down the 805 going over the * Brdige. I was in the black Jetta that passed you on your left in the fast lane at 95 MPH, I was like, wow nice yota! :)

Thats pretty funny, yea I'm a little hard to miss when on the highway :headscratch:
I do remember you flying past me though :tongueout: I pulled out to pass a semi and then realised that everyone was going way faster than me. How did you reconise me, you've never actually seen my truck right. Prolly the stars huh.

Tankota
02-27-2008, 09:06 AM
You should test that new MC in the dirt and come out to TDS woth us.

Marc P
02-27-2008, 09:10 AM
Looks good Mike. We need to go wheeling together again soon.

blacksheep
02-27-2008, 07:36 PM

Thats pretty funny, yea I'm a little hard to miss when on the highway :headscratch:
I do remember you flying past me though :tongueout: I pulled out to pass a semi and then realised that everyone was going way faster than me. How did you reconise me, you've never actually seen my truck right. Prolly the stars huh.

Star on an older yota, can't miss it. I would love to but I work weekends, unless its a big rock crawling event that I can't miss. But Im saving up for a few things, and still working on the rig for AZROCKS! You should make this event.

Thanks Mark, u going to AZROCKS?