PDA

View Full Version : Delete this please.

Obi..
02-27-2008, 08:22 AM
Thanks.

paddlenbike
02-27-2008, 11:40 AM
I have yet to have the pleasure of buying a brand new vehicle. With the discounts being offered, a new one sounds pretty tempting. The 07 will need a lift, tires and a rear locker just to bring it to the level of a stock third gen. Sometimes it's difficult justifying modification of a new vehicle that is not paid-off, but it is something I would need to do to an 07 to get it places I like to go. If you're okay with that, go for it!

tulsa_sr5
02-27-2008, 01:10 PM
Well, your estimate is 17k for a pretty sweet 2nd gen, but for 18k I think you might be better off with this
http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=3409.0

edit: 16k now? at least that's what his personal site now says
http://www.hunt4steve.com/4Runner.html

Robinhood4x4
02-27-2008, 01:27 PM
I think the one and only reason to get a newer vehicle is for reliability. Get a 2nd gen 4runner and you still have a ~15 year old vehicle no matter how good it's been in the past. My 2nd gen has never left me stranded but I don't have the confidence to take it to mexico.

Are you a recent grad? Toyota has an ongoing $500 discount for recent college grads.

slosurfer
02-27-2008, 04:33 PM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/2117000-2117999/2117082_5_full.jpg

(hijack) Shane, who's rig is this? Any info on it, more pics, a link or something? I like the fenders, but not digging the sand shovel on the front, thanks (/hijack)

slosurfer
02-27-2008, 05:19 PM
:thumbup: Thanks, it says that they are Hannaman fenders. I wonder if his corner lights didn't fit as they aren't mounted in any of the pics.

Marc P
02-27-2008, 06:40 PM
That 2nd gen looks a lot like this one for sale on Race-dezert

http://www.race-dezert.com/cgi-bin/trader/atl.cgi?ct=2&md=second&id=12405

paddlenbike
02-28-2008, 08:26 AM
To compound matters worse, and no offense to 3rd-current gen 4Runner owners, like a true warrior, I prefer the Japanese Steel, over American.

FYI...all 4Runners are built in Japan. Just look at the VIN numbers, if it starts with "JT" it was built in Japan.

Good Times
02-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Interesting topic! My thoughts have always been that if you're gonna up a new vehicle why get it. you can easily build something better and cheaper by picking up something older anyhow. And then I look at myself and think dang I'm a moron (classic case of the preacher not listening to his own words). :tapedshut: Some would say it's the love of building something different and pushing the curve of evolution but then again others would say you're a complete moron that has no clue on how to prioritize your finances. At any rate it's really a personal judgment on what you ultimately want. Sometimes the want/need desire can far outweigh the reality of the situation.

In all seriousness the cost and depreciation on these new vehicles are insane that it really doesn't make sense to buy new except for the peace and satisfaction of knowing that nobody has abused it and the abuse will be done yours truly :) In these trying times is it really that important to buy new or does it make more sense to buy one that is 3 yrs older (considering that's when the bulk of the depreciation hits). It's still within the same generation (i.e. 2003-2005 4runners vs 2008 4runner) (you're basically screwed if you're trying to get a new generation though. I would think that buying an used vehicle within the same generation is a better financial decision than buying new unless the cost variable is very minimal (highly unlikely unless you know someone really high up and not sharing the love to all of us!). There may be minimal changes in the design but for the most part it's really insignificant. Maybe some more creature comfort but seriously... bleh.

I will say that the new 4runners (4th generation) are a wonderful vehicle to drive. They really have up'd the ante by giving it a fresh interior that I really appreciate (more modern than compared to the 3rd gen which looks like the inside of a corolla (sorry no offense but when I drive my gf's corolla it looks identical to the 3rd gen's interior). The drivetrain/powertrain is superb and well balanced and the ride comfort is superb. In all it's truly an amazing vehicle and Toyota definitely did take the 4runner into the next level. I think of the newer 4runners as a pre-luxury vehicle as it really is that much better. It's bigger and definitely sucks up more gas (if you get the v8) but the compromises compared to driving an older 4runner is definitely worth every penny.

To conclude, I believe that all newer vehicles are always going to be a better vehicle compared to the older one. In some respect the suv's will get more tame (just the market condition) but in general with some modifications it'll be equally effective on the trail. If you want a plush driving suv that'll definitely be able to conquer many of the basic trails the newer vehicles should have no problems accomplishing it. If you want something to take into the deeper woods I would definitely consider how much it'll cost to modify the newer vehicle and compare it to an older vehicle (perhaps even a few generations older) and determine which is financially better. If I have to build another vehicle is not an option... I'll fix my beast forever until it's dead. :chair:

04 Rocko Taco
02-28-2008, 11:53 AM
just a side note, a recent study showed that on average new cars lost 70% of thier value within 4 years.