PDA

View Full Version : Shifting problems

Old Man
03-01-2008, 12:23 PM
A few months ago I posted a question about what clutch I should buy. Thank you for the replies.
I ended up buying a marlin crawler 1200lb clutch.

I have a 93 4runner with a 3.0 v6 and a R150F transmission.

As for my question I changed my clutch about 6000 miles ago, when I changed the clutch everything worked great, got into great and was real strong. Now the clutch feels like it did right before it went out, I am having a hard time getting it into gear.

I only bought the 4runner about a year ago. When I bought the 4runner, the clutch felt weak a few months later it went out. When I pulled the clutch out I found the pressure plate was broke into two. I was wondering someone has heard of this problem and if so what causes it.

So far I have bleed the clutch and checked the pedal height and the transmission fluid level. I am still having problems getting gear.

I hope someone can shed some light on the original pressure breaking and why I am now having a hard time getting into gear. Thanks for the help.

corax
03-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Why was teh clutch replaced originally? Was it slipping?
2 basic causes of difficult gear engagement: clutch not releasing fully or internal transmission problem (worn synchros most likely). Since the problem went away after replacing the clutch, it's probably not a trans issue.

You said you already checked pedal height. Now check pedal freeplay. Using your finger, lightly push on the pedal till you feel resistance. This is how far the pedal has to move before the release bearing contacts the pressure plate. The pedal should probably only have ~1" freeplay. There is an adjustment for this on the clutch master cylinder pushrod (inside the vehicle, at top of clutch pedal assembly).

If you pump the clutch pedal quickly, does it go into gear easier? If it does that could indicate a clutch slave or master cylinder that is leaking or not able to hold/build pressure.

How did the input shaft snout (that the release bearing slides on) look when you had it apart? If there are any rings or grooves around the outside, the release bearing may cock or get stuck and not fully release the clutch.

Old Man
03-03-2008, 03:26 AM
Thanks for the info I am going to check the free play today. As for pumping the pedal quickly it does not make a difference. For the input shaft snot I do not recall any groves or rings when I changed the bearing.