PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear in May

freejake3
03-03-2008, 02:38 PM
I'd like to organize a Big Bear trip for the first weekend in May if anyone's interested. There's plenty of time to plan this one out with everyone's work schedule so let's get a good turn-out. The weather should be perfect this time of year. I know we all go up there in August but figured we could do a late spring run too. We can figure out the camping spot later - definately not the same one as last August. Are we in?

The weekend in Big Bear will be in May 2-4. The coordinates for the campsite are [color=yellow]34 17'59.94"N 116 52'25.84"W. There will be two runs on Saturday - Gold Mountain before lunch which will leave the campsite at 8:30 am sharp, then we'll head back to camp for lunch. After lunch those that want to run John Bull can roll that one and for those looking for an easy/medium run Jacoby Cyn should work just fine.

CB Channel 10

Sunday will be up to the individual parties in regards to going on a trail ride. I'm leaving for OB first thing - the south swell will be calling my name.

I can put together an easy/moderate run if necessary but will need someone to be trail leader. This is, of course, if we get enough folks that want to run it.

Saturday night's meal will be a pot-luck. We'll get the menu together later but the theme will be hamburgers and hotdogs.

Although there will be no safety inspection it's understood that all vehicles should carry not only recovery gear but a fire extinguisher and the necessary tools in case of breakage.

[color=yellow]Direction from SD:

Interstate 15 North
At the I-15 / I-215 split take I-215 towards Riverside / San Bernardino for @ 41 miles
Take the I-10 East towards Redlands for @ 5.5 miles
Merge onto CA-30 W toward CA-330/ HIGHLAND for 4.6 miles
Merge onto CA-330 N toward MTN RESORTS for 15.5 miles
CA-330 N becomes CA-18/ RIM OF THE WORLD HWY; stay on this for 12.4 miles
At the 18 / 38 Split take the 38 which will be the left fork (at this point you'll be at the western edge of Big Bear Lake)
Take the 38 for @ 9.25 miles until Van Dusen Cyn Road (34 15'56.88"N 116 51'17.58"W)
You'll be on Van Dusen Cyn Road for @ 4 miles until you reach Holcomb Valley Road.
It's 1.3 mi east of the intersection of Van Dusen (3N09) and Holcomb Valley Road (3N16). [color]

List of Attendees

freejake3 hamburgers/hotdogs
wifeknowshesahomo (+2) hotdogs/hamburgers
seanzorz potato salad
randver(+2) chips/dip
Tankota (+1) condiments
MarcP (+2) his buns
Scooter (+1) dessert

The "maybe" list

Blacksheep
Smiling Jim
RobTk

Tankota
03-03-2008, 02:51 PM
I've never wheeled in Big Bear before but have always wanted too. Its gonna be really beautiful up there come spring. What kind of trails do you usually run.

Seanz0rz
03-03-2008, 03:09 PM
give me a date and some gps coords and im there! if its early may i should be able to swing a weekend up there.

Marc P
03-03-2008, 03:17 PM
I want to go, but the only weekends I may be able to make it would be the weekend of the 10th or the 31st.

YotaGirl
03-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Sounds like fun! Beginning of May works good for me.

slosurfer
03-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Sounds like fun! Beginning of May works good for me.

Jen, I think you get to wheel more than anyone else on here. I'm jealous :flipoff: I would love to make it down to BB, I had a blast last time I was there. I don't think I will get to make this one though, I'll play it by ear.

YotaGirl
03-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Hehe and I don't think I get to wheel enough!

randver
03-03-2008, 05:14 PM
if i can make it all depends on which weekend we do it

xonetruthcrewx
03-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Sounds good to me. I'm game for whenever. I have been wanting to go back to BB, its been a while. Any idea on trails?

Seanz0rz
03-03-2008, 07:45 PM
we must do dishpan springs this time, missed that one last time.

id like to try john bull and holcomb creek with a locker and armor this time.

there are lots of trails up there, really depends on what reopens come spring time. the fires damaged much of the mountain.

freejake3
03-03-2008, 07:51 PM
The weekend of the 3rd would be the weekend. I have my boys final soccer game on the 10th and am actually bailing on his game for this weekend. Anything after that would not work for me. Try and switch your schedule Marc. I'll update the first post as we get stuff figured out.

Trails - I gave my truck quite the workout on John Bull last time out but want another shot at it so I'd like to fit that into the weekend somewhere. Gold Mtn is always fun. I haven't done White Mtn in a while so that's possible too. I'm up for anything and if we get enough people we can always split into easy / hard runs if need be.

I'll look into the camping sit. and post up when I get it figured out. We'll need to reserve when necessary so plan on that. This way you're locked in for sure.

I got this posted on Adventure 4x4 as well.

randver
03-03-2008, 08:24 PM
so far it looks like me and the family will be able to make it

xonetruthcrewx
03-03-2008, 10:30 PM
I would like to run Dishpan to Holcomb. West to East. I have run Dishpan from West to East before, i would like to run it in the other direction. Of course, John Bull is always good. Gold Mountain is alright, nothing special though.

YotaGirl
03-04-2008, 12:08 AM
I would definitely like to do Holcomb and John Bull. I haven't tried those yet. Dishpan would be awesome as well.

freejake3
03-04-2008, 03:00 PM
I would like to run Dishpan to Holcomb. West to East. I have run Dishpan from West to East before, i would like to run it in the other direction. Of course, John Bull is always good. Gold Mountain is alright, nothing special though.

That sounds like a plan. I haven't run that one before. Would a posi work OK for that trail or do you need a locker.

I contacted the BB Discovery Center today and not until the snows melt and they can better asses the fire damage will they know what trails/campgrounds are open. As of right now Hanna Flats is closed until 2009 from fire damage. Holcomb Valley is currently open so that might be our best bet. I'll keep things updated as we move closer to May.

wifesaysimadumbass
03-05-2008, 06:38 AM
i tink i can make it... just no more drunk marines stealing our food!!!

freejake3
03-05-2008, 07:02 AM
i tink i can make it... just no more drunk marines stealing our food!!!

Word!

Tankota
03-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Well hell, if Mikey's going I cant miss it :love:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Actually I really do want to make this one, all the wheeling I've ever done has been desert of some sort. The mountains gotta be pretty cool too.

freejake3
03-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Trees are good - although not quite sure how much was lost in the Butler Fire 2007. I'm pretty sure that everything west of Hanna Flat got hammered.

corax
03-07-2008, 10:46 AM
You can probably count me in, though I might stick to the "easy" trails because I'll be moving to Oregon shortly after that.

elripster
03-09-2008, 11:19 AM
If I can go, which I might but have to see as the date gets closer, I'll taking the easier trails too since I'll be moving across the country at the end of May. The 4runner needs to be ready for that.

Frank

wifesaysimadumbass
03-09-2008, 09:32 PM
i'll lead the hard trails.....that is if anyone want's to hit them up with me i don't want to be alone

Tankota
03-14-2008, 08:12 AM
I'm coming in the knarly trails too!

You will be bringing farttrucks trailer right.

Seanz0rz
03-14-2008, 08:31 AM
depends in what kinda shape mine is in, but id like to try johnbull with locker and armor this time. hahah

wifesaysimadumbass
03-14-2008, 05:07 PM
trailer will be in tow

freejake3
03-15-2008, 07:15 AM
It's looking like Holcomb Valley might be our best bet for camping. The BB Disco Cntr. will not have info regarding open trails/campgrounds until possibly THAT weekend so I say we make our reservations soon. I'll get the required info and post it on the first page.

Well.......Holcomb Vly doesn't require any reservations and there 19 spots available. Do you thnk we should try to first come first serve and hope for the best or find another campground that we can reserve?

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/recreation/camping/

Here's a good link for maps online some might be interested in.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/forestvisitormaps/

wifesaysimadumbass
03-16-2008, 04:36 PM
what about that open area we camped in the one year when ttorras event got shut down? that place was great but no fire

Seanz0rz
03-16-2008, 04:40 PM
in may we should have no problems with fires. unless they just flat out dont allow them there.

wifesaysimadumbass
03-16-2008, 08:35 PM
california not allowing something no way!!!???

freejake3
03-16-2008, 09:01 PM
what about that open area we camped in the one year when ttorras event got shut down? that place was great but no fire

That was just east of Holcomb Vly - I believe it's called Arrastre Flat. I liked that spot too - other than the fire restriction. Depending on the weather, we may want that fire the campgrounds allow.

Tankota
03-16-2008, 11:17 PM
Yea a fire makes a heckofa differance at night, not only for warmpth but to just sit around and bs for a couple hours. Its not as fun to sit around a lantern or something.

wifesaysimadumbass
03-17-2008, 06:27 AM
if we end up camping there i will definately be getting one of those propane heaters

Tankota
03-17-2008, 08:13 AM
Can we bring some of those upright space heaters like they have on outside reasurant areas.
That the kind you bringing Mikey? :clap:

wifesaysimadumbass
03-17-2008, 07:39 PM
i wish no i will be bringing the cheapo kind

slosurfer
03-20-2008, 10:27 AM
sorry if I missed it, but what weekend are you guys going?

freejake3
03-21-2008, 07:25 AM
sorry if I missed it, but what weekend are you guys going?

Check the first post - I've since updated it.

Potluck dinner will be on Saturday night - we'll get to the menu later and I'll update the first post with not only tat info but the head count as well.

wifesaysimadumbass
03-24-2008, 06:26 AM
hey andy do i need to get a fire permit for using my bbq

freejake3
03-24-2008, 07:10 AM
hey andy do i need to get a fire permit for using my bbq

I'll call today and find out.

xonetruthcrewx
03-24-2008, 06:45 PM
Since you havent really suggested a "real" plan for the trails, how about i throw this out there.

Saturday: Meet up at Switzer Park, (28301 Rim of the World Highway) at 0845. Leave by 0900. Head over to Dishpan Springs. Trail took me a little over an hour last time i ran it. It dosent take too long. From the end of Dishpan you head straight over to Holcomb Creek. Holcomb creek will probably take 2-3 hours. From there we could break for lunch and pick up again after. Possibly run John Bull from West to East afterwards?

Thats what i would like to do. I just want to make the best of my time while i am there and i figure thats the best way to do it. As for Sunday, How about Heartbreak Ridge?

Directions to the campsite might be good also so here they are:

In Big Bear City, at intersection of Greenway Rd. and Big
Bear Blvd. (State Rt. 38), take Greenway Rd. 0.5 miles to
intersection of Greenway Rd. and North Shore Rd. (State Rt. 18).
Turn left onto North Shore Rd. and go 0.5 miles to Van Dusen Cyn
Rd sign (3N09). Turn right at sign onto Van Dusen Cyn Rd. and go 4
miles to a "T" intersection (3N16). Turn left onto 3N16, then
right into campground.

I will be camping just Saturday night. Gonna leave early that morning and drive straight to the proposed meet spot.

If this sounds good, post up. Right On.

Tankota
03-24-2008, 09:07 PM
You coming out then? Cool!

But I thought you just sold the runner?

freejake3
03-24-2008, 09:10 PM
Mikey - they let propane grills at the campsite so no worries there.

Just a heads up on the campground - it costs 14$ a night and this doesn't cover a adventure pass for both days. You should be able to pick one up at Sports Chalet. There is NO WATER at this campground so pack it it / pack it out.

xonetruthcrewx - the reason there is no "REAL" plan is cause that's the way the SoCal crew usually rolls. Without knowing who actually is going and what trails they want to ride it's tough to schedule anything. Holcomb Creek trail is most likely closed from the Butler Fire as are most trails west of Hanna Flat campground. Let's see what everyone chimes in regarding arrival time and level of wheelin'. Thansk for posting up the direction to the campground - I just figured people can educate themselves and research the area to find where they are going. It's pretty easy - especially if you log on to the website I posted regarding all of those maps. I'm not sure Mikey and I could even make that meet time depending on Friday nights activities. Thanks for the suggestions though. I do want to check out Dishpan Springs and W-E on John Bull sounds like fun. Lets try and not kill ourselves Saturday - I don't want my ass in the drivers seat all day.

Marc P
03-24-2008, 09:29 PM
xonetruthcrewx - the reason there is no "REAL" plan is cause that's the way the SoCal crew usually rolls. Without knowing who actually is going and what trails they want to ride it's tough to schedule anything. Holcomb Creek trail is most likely closed from the Butler Fire as are most trails west of Hanna Flat campground. Let's see what everyone chimes in regarding arrival time and level of wheelin'. Thansk for posting up the direction to the campground - I just figured people can educate themselves and research the area to find where they are going. It's pretty easy - especially if you log on to the website I posted regarding all of those maps. I'm not sure Mikey and I could even make that meet time depending on Friday nights activities. Thanks for the suggestions though. I do want to check out Dishpan Springs and W-E on John Bull sounds like fun. Lets try and not kill ourselves Saturday - I don't want my ass in the drivers seat all day.

Plus I am not going so they will probably get lost :flipoff: :flipoff: :flipoff:

freejake3
03-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Word.......Thank god for CB's and caravans

wifesaysimadumbass
03-24-2008, 10:02 PM
andy is this like an organized campground like last time? i hope i can fit with the trailer

xonetruthcrewx
03-25-2008, 03:26 AM
If Holcomb creek is closed im out. You say, most trails west of Hanna Flat? That means Dishpan then. 0900 is a pretty late start time. Last time i went, we were on the trail by 0700. But whatever, this it your run and you are the one planning it, if we can call it that. I guess im just gonna sit back and see what trails are actually open before i decide if im going to come out or not. If i do come though, it will be to run the trails i laid out. If others want to join, cool. If not, whatever. I will be there to wheel though.

Marc P
03-25-2008, 06:29 AM
Found this on Adventure 4x4.....

"I’m privileged to announce that Dishpan Springs (3N34), the trail between Arrowhead and Crab Flats campground, is officially open. As of today the gates at both ends are open and locked in the open position. This trail was closed because of the fires last season, and it was unclear weather or not it would be open for the upcoming offroad season. This trail is a black diamond trail, very tough. It was important to get this trail open because it the only trail that links Arrowhead (West side) to the other trails around Big Bear (East Side). It will also take some pressure off the other trails in Big Bear that were getting more use because of the closures due to the fires.

Several clubs had representatives who showed up today to do the work necessary to get the trail ready. There were several fallen trees across the trail that had to be moved, either by winch, chainsaw or brute force. We succeeded in moving all the trees off the trail today. There were about 40 rigs, from 7-9 clubs that showed up to do the work. The trail officially belongs to the Dirt Devils, and they were out in force today, ready to do what ever it took. IE4wheelers and Rubicon Owners of California were among the other clubs who made it out today. I don’t know the names of the rest of the clubs that participated today, and for that I am sorry. They all deserve big thanks for their work today.

There is a lot of work still to be done. Holcomb Creek trail is still closed. There will be more work ahead to try and get it open in time for the upcoming offroad season.

Special thanks go out to Greg Hoffman. He is the SBNFS man in charge of the Adopt A Trail work groups. Without political pressure from him within the SBNFS this would never have happened."
"

freejake3
03-25-2008, 08:39 AM
andy is this like an organized campground like last time? i hope i can fit with the trailer

The length of the site is 25'. Last year at Crab Flats it was 15'. YOu should be good to go. You can always put the trailer into my spot first and then I'll put the Taco in.

Thanks for posting that up Marc. I figured as much for H. Creek but having Dishpan Springs open is good to know.

freejake3
03-25-2008, 08:45 AM
But whatever, this it your run and you are the one planning it, if we can call it that. I will be there to wheel though.

Apparently we just have different ways to plan things out. Like I posted earlier - I'm gonna see who's attending and what they want to wheel. If that doesn't happen till Sat morning - so be it. I, too, will be there to wheel but it's not the only time I get out in the dirt so I'm not into cramming the day. Some of us are bringing the kids and after so much time in the trucks they can get a little antsy. No worries though, we'll figure it out. SOrry if this isn't as structured as you are used too..............

calrockx
03-25-2008, 02:20 PM
colin, hit the trails at 7am? early freak.

xonetruthcrewx
03-25-2008, 04:01 PM
Last time i did. This time i was thinking to relax a little longer and start at 9. That way we could go, Dishpan to Holcomb to John Bull. If holcomb creek isnt open, im not going to go though. Only time will tell.

wifesaysimadumbass
03-25-2008, 04:51 PM
andy i had a site that is 45' long last time i will have to look to see if there are any that will accomodate my rig

freejake3
03-25-2008, 07:55 PM
Mikey - good thing I'm on top if it huh?

We are switching the campsite to a "primitive" location just east of the intersection of 3N16 and Van Duesen Rd. I'll get the coordinates and related fire restrictions. We have to be able to accomodate a trailer and the spaces at Holcomb Valley aren't big enough. It's not a big deal other than not being able to have a fire. If the weather keeps up the way it has - we won't even need one anyway:
http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/USCA0094?from=tenDay_topnav_undeclared

First post updated.

Marc P
03-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Based on where you are camping, you might think about going Gold Mtn to John Bull. Depending on traffic that shouldnt take too long.

RobT2K
03-25-2008, 09:36 PM
Why aren't you going Marc? Do you have to work?

wifesaysimadumbass
03-26-2008, 06:27 AM
i think we should run jon bull reverse this time switch it up maybe?!

freejake3
03-26-2008, 09:20 AM
Marc is lagging as usual - tell your boss already or get somebody to cover your shift.

Rob - your going right?

Marc P
03-26-2008, 10:53 AM
There is no one else to cover my shift.....my boss is the only one, and he is taking his wife to Vegas for her B-day :flipoff:

wifesaysimadumbass
03-26-2008, 07:01 PM
well then he wont notice your gone!!!

freejake3
03-26-2008, 09:04 PM
well then he wont notice your gone!!!

Good thinking Mikey. Work it out Marc.

xonetruthcrewx
03-29-2008, 05:52 PM
If holcomb is open in time, both Charles (calrockx) and I are going. Probably Gabe in his FJ also. No camping for us though, just the day. Since you are planning on putting together a easy/moderate trail, im going to line out the difficult trails we will run. Meet up at the spot i previously mentioned and head out by 0900. Run all trails west to east. Dishpan to Holcomb to John Bull.

Once again, this is only if Holcomb is open in time. Otherwise were are not coming.

randver
03-29-2008, 08:04 PM
im still planing to go just will not know tell it gets closer to the date

freejake3
03-29-2008, 09:33 PM
Since you are planning on putting together a easy/moderate trail, im going to line out the difficult trails we will run.

I'm laying out the easy/moderate run for those interested. I am planning on running the harder trails with all others. This was the skinny from the get go. Figure I get all parties involved.

xonetruthcrewx
03-30-2008, 07:06 AM
My bad. Guess i just misread it. Either way, thats what we are going to run if we go. Just want to get in as much wheeling as we can since its going to be a day trip for us. Who knows if Holcomb will even open though. Hopefully.

freejake3
03-30-2008, 09:25 AM
Yeah, I called the Disco Ctr on friday and this next weather system will definately help determine when and what will be open by May 1.

Tankota
03-30-2008, 10:28 PM
I know Mikey will have a trailer in tow, and I'm really thinking of trailering my rig out too. Does anybody know if there is room just to park another tow rig and trailer somewhere. Doesn't need to be in the camp or anything.

wifesaysimadumbass
03-31-2008, 06:03 AM
yeah the primitive location we will be camping at is huge i'm pretty sure two of us would fit just fine

Tankota
03-31-2008, 07:45 AM
Cool, I like primitive camps much better anyway.

I know people have mentioned no fires at this location. Are we allowed fires in metal containers. I have a washing machine drum on legs that works great for keeping fire off the ground. Or is this location no fires period?

freejake3
03-31-2008, 12:56 PM
Called the Disco Ctr today and propane BBQ/s, heaters are good to go with a fire permit. We can pick up the permit at either the Disco Ctr or the Ranger Station when we arrive there on Firday. No charge for the permit. Sorry Zach - no fires out of the campgrounds.

As Mikey stated earlier - there will be plenty of room for both trailers.

Don't forget to pick up your Adventure Passes (X2) for the weekend. Sports Chalet has them as well as other sporting goods stores. Either that or grab them when you arrive - provided the Disco Ctr / Ranger Stat. is open.

freejake3
04-07-2008, 02:04 PM
We're switching the menu to hamburgers and hotdogs for Saturday night. I'm splitting the cost of the hamburgers / hotdogs with a buddy of mine so the rest of the potluck will be up to those attending. Shouldn't be too much to complete the meal. Please feel free to bring whatever you would like. Once we get a firmer # on attendees then we can dial in the food needs.

We're under a month now. I'll be posting up a more formalized itinerary in a couple of weeks. Right now I'm thinking we could all run Gold Mtn in the a.m., have lunch, then split up for the 2nd half of the day. THose that want to run JB can go that route and the others can run Jacoby Cyn.

How many definates and maybes do we have so far (kids included)? I'm trying to get a # from Adventure4x4 as well.

Suggestions?

Seanz0rz
04-07-2008, 02:56 PM
i got dibs on potato salad.

im a most definate, like 95%. what about camping information? do we need to reserve spots? or is it all first come first served?

freejake3
04-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Cool Sean. I'll put you down for Pot. Salad.

The coordinates for the campsite on Post #1 are still good to go. It's primitive so wherever you find a spot with the crew is perfect. If I remember correctly there are plenty of nice flat spots amongst the pines. Anyway - I'll revise post #1 with more info later on.

So far we got:

Definates;
Mikey (+2) - wifeknowsimahomo
Andy (+1) - freejake3
Sean - seanzorz
Zach - tankota

Maybe:
Rob (RobTk)
Randver (closer to a definate)
corax (closer to a definate)

corax
04-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Add me as an 89.6% probably most likely will show my sorry a$$. Although I may / may not be able to camp the night, I definately want to make the run.

wifesaysimadumbass
04-07-2008, 09:13 PM
andy i dont think i can roll up there as early as i would like. curran has a play at 1:30 so i should be able to head out by 3 or 3:30

wifesaysimadumbass
04-09-2008, 07:15 PM
does anyone have smiling jims # we need to get him up the mountain

freejake3
04-09-2008, 08:00 PM
andy i dont think i can roll up there as early as i would like. curran has a play at 1:30 so i should be able to head out by 3 or 3:30

No worries - I'll wait to caravan. Chances are we'll end up leaving around 2:30 anyway.

X2 on Smiling Jim. Let's get that boy up the hill.

wifesaysimadumbass
04-09-2008, 09:12 PM
marc sent me his # i will call him tommorow

blacksheep
04-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Not sure if Im going to make this one this year. Just got back from AZROCKS, got some new projects Im saving up for. But, I will still mention it to the wife and see if we can make it.

I might be buying a trailer that need's some work ect. Also trying to save up for a Tow Rig. Not to mention its I am having a Bday BBQ gathering at Mission Bay Park this sunday if anyone is interested, call me. Next month is my wife;s b-day. So $$$ will def. be ow for the next few months for what were into right now.

But I will try and update you guys soon with in a week if i can go. Crossing my fingers.

Seanz0rz
04-11-2008, 12:02 PM
somewhat likely that i wont be camping, just day running with you guys, well see what happens.

wifesaysimadumbass
04-13-2008, 09:35 AM
you cant handle camping with the big boys sean?

YotaFun
04-13-2008, 03:31 PM
you cant handle camping with the big boys sean?

No No No, I think what it is, is that you guys might go :gay2: on him :flipoff:

wifesaysimadumbass
04-13-2008, 03:48 PM
he just got bent when we asked for i.d. last time he camped with us

freejake3
04-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Check Off Topic for your daily ribbing YotaFun

YotaFun
04-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Check Off Topic for your daily ribbing YotaFun

Done :thumbup:

Seanz0rz
04-13-2008, 05:47 PM
HAHAHAH. you guys know i love you, and i didnt say i wasnt going to hang out, just sleeping on an air mattress does not sound pleasing after i hurt my back a few weeks ago. have a hard enough time on a memory foam mattress...

freejake3
04-13-2008, 08:46 PM
"...an air mattress does not sound pleasing after i hurt my back a few weeks ago

Isn't that why you're supposed to use your kneepads during servicing.

Seanz0rz
04-13-2008, 09:00 PM
"...an air mattress does not sound pleasing after i hurt my back a few weeks ago

Isn't that why you're supposed to use your kneepads during servicing.

parents bought me a set of these a few years back:

http://www.acetoolonline.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CLC-G340&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=nextag

they are amazing!

freejake3
04-14-2008, 08:31 PM
Sweet - Hey, are you still making the potluck on Sat night?

Mikey - did you contact Smiling Jim?

Seanz0rz
04-14-2008, 09:14 PM
wouldnt miss it, even for a lady...

Scooter25
04-18-2008, 09:09 PM
Hey all!! I rarely post but have lurked here @ UY for some time now. It's time to put faces w/some of the names, so I'll definitely be there. What can I bring for Sat. nights potluck?

freejake3
04-19-2008, 08:35 AM
It's hamburgers/hotdogs so maybe some chips/pretzels would be cool

We got the beef taken care of as well as the Pot Sal.

People: see post #1 for CB channel. Who's on the definate list????????????

randver
04-19-2008, 09:30 AM
as of right now me and the family are going. i have never been to big bear befor or have a GPS so can i pls get someone to meet me in big bear or someplace to lead me to the camp site. we are hopeing to leave
SD around 430pm

freejake3
04-19-2008, 09:36 AM
as of right now me and the family are going. i have never been to big bear befor or have a GPS so can i pls get someone to meet me in big bear or someplace to lead me to the camp site. we are hopeing to leave
SD around 430pm

I'll post up directions on Post #1. If you still need someone to meet you we can arrange that.
I'll start the list on Post #1 as well.

Post up your desired level of wheelin' so we can go from there as well.

Marc P
04-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Looks like there may be a special guest appearance......we will see :drink:

freejake3
04-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Looks like there may be a special guest appearance......we will see :drink:

Sweet mother of axles. We may have our trail leader............

randver
04-19-2008, 02:42 PM
im up for whatever everyone else wants to do. im open/open so i may need a good spotter or a pull or 2 lol

freejake3
04-19-2008, 03:22 PM
im up for whatever everyone else wants to do. im open/open so i may need a good spotter or a pull or 2 lol

No worries - talk to seanzorz regarding John Bull and open/open. It can be done with good driving and spotting. Let's not split up like we had to do at Super 10.

randver
04-19-2008, 04:51 PM
ya the run i went on sucked i should have gone with you guys lol oh well lesson learned there lol

elripster
04-20-2008, 04:31 PM
Well guys I cannot go. I have so much work to do getting ready to move. One of the things is installing my new trailer hitch. This is a very good hitch as it is also attached to a very protective bumper (Marlin).

Have fun and take pics. We're moving out of state (I leave May 27th) but will be buying another truck to leave in San Diego 'cause the wheeling just isn't as cool in the mid west.

Frank

Seanz0rz
04-20-2008, 04:37 PM
yea john bull is certainly doable if you are open diffs and lack armor, but youll need a few damn good spotters like bruce and mikey (who i owe my life to) and a little tug here and there (thanks again bruce). i now have some armor and a rear locker, so i shouldnt need the constant attention

im on the definite list. bringing the tater salad and maybe a little something extra... maybe ill even have a working gps/carpc system this time!

sorry you cant make it frank, was really looking forward to seeing you again! are you coming out for pismo this year?

randver
04-20-2008, 05:35 PM
oh i gots armor and for those that have done bronco peak in CC i made it to the top with just a spotter. armors made to get dented lol

freejake3
04-21-2008, 07:14 AM
armors made to get dented

Word

elripster
04-21-2008, 04:23 PM
I'm going to do everything I can to get to Pismo. I have it marked off. I browse Craigslist every day for potential trucks to purchase and leave in San Diego. I might do some searching over Memorial Day.

Frank

Seanz0rz
04-27-2008, 07:32 PM
back to the top, less than a week. who else is going?

freejake3
04-27-2008, 08:38 PM
I just got word of the So Cal chapter of the NAXJA (North American XJ Association) is holding their So Cal fest on the same weekend - http://www.naxja.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=204. Looks like their vehicle count is upwards of 25 but I don't know what runs they will be doing. Considering the limited number of trails that will be open and their meeting time at the Big Bear Disco Ctr (8:30) we will be leaving our campsite at 8:30 to run Gold Mtn. We should get a good start on those guys this way. Post lunch wil be a crap-shoot for John Bull.

I'll make the changes on the first post. I still haven't heard from any attendees from Adventure4x4 but that may change as the week progresses. This may very well be a small group but this may bode well considering the added number of vehicles on the mountain.

randver
04-27-2008, 08:50 PM
speacking of small grps. we need to do some SD crew day trip trails

Seanz0rz
04-27-2008, 08:55 PM
looks like i should be able to camp friday and sat night. however, i do have to try and fix my lean on the truck and do some other last minute maintenance on it. im going to try to do some of it here at school during the week, but im not sure how much i can get done in the parking lot. id also like to build some highlift mount brackets before i head out, but that remains to be seen if i can accomplish that. if i cant make it up friday, no worries, ill be up first thing saturday (5 or so am)

freejake3
04-28-2008, 05:12 PM
4 days and counting...........are we ready to wheel?????????????

randver
04-28-2008, 08:01 PM
can i get a couple of phone numbers PMed to me in case i get lost and cant find the camp

Marc P
04-28-2008, 08:09 PM
Makenna and I will be there. Not sure if we are coming up Fri or early Sat though.

What should we bring for Sat dinner? I like not having to organize things this time.

What do you think about doing JB backwards?? I am not sure I could find the trail from that side though.

randver
04-28-2008, 08:33 PM
oh ya for the food count i have my wife ronna and anna with me

freejake3
04-28-2008, 09:02 PM
Makenna and I will be there. Not sure if we are coming up Fri or early Sat though.

What should we bring for Sat dinner? I like not having to organize things this time.

What do you think about doing JB backwards?? I am not sure I could find the trail from that side though.

Nice Marc. It'll be good times for sure. If you could handle the buns for both the hamburgers./ hotdogs that would be awesome. With the addition of you and McKenna that brings our total up to 10 (6 adults/4 kids).

Mikey and I were talking about JB in reverse as well. Let's make that a definite. As far as finding it - all I'm working with are the USGS maps which haven't let me down yet. Look at it this way - 6 heads / 1 brain.

I'm still waiting for Josh to send us a cake for the trip. What's up with that Chef?????????????

Tankota
04-29-2008, 08:05 AM
Hey I haven't posted up in a little while but I'm still planning on coming. It should be me and the girlfriend for Saturday and Sunday. I'll prolly be rolling in late Friday night, so just listen for a squeaky old GM diesel hauling a trailer.

What can I bring for our meal?

Oh and put me down for moderate/core trails.

p.s. - Does this camp ground have a name or something. That way us poor people who still use paper maps can find it a little easier.

freejake3
04-29-2008, 05:13 PM
Hey Zach. Good to hear your still coming. How many will be with you? If you could bring the condiments for the meal that would be more than helpful (must/ketch/pickles & anything else you think we need).

We are not staying in any campground but if you follow the mileage direction on Post 1, keep your CB on 10 you should be able to spot us. After you travel that short stretch on Holcomb Valley Rd. we'll be on the left (north) side about 200' in.

Now all we need is some dessert for the kids.

Those bringing grub keep checking Post #1 for a total # of people

Scooter25
04-29-2008, 08:19 PM
I'll be in early Saturday with a buddy of mine. We can take care of the dessert.
-Scott

freejake3
04-29-2008, 09:02 PM
Sweet. Thanks for that. I'll update Post 1.

Hey Mikey - make sure you bring that propane stadium lighting.

randver
04-29-2008, 09:54 PM
don't forget to pack for cold nights . wife says the weather will be in the 20s at night and 50s doing the day

randver
04-29-2008, 09:58 PM
oh ya forgot to tell you guys i got us a toyota flag and a 22' collaspible pole to mark are camp. i got it to mark are camp when ever we go to superstitions. but this should be a graet time to brake it in.

Tankota
04-29-2008, 10:51 PM
+1 For me. We got the condiments.

wifesaysimadumbass
04-30-2008, 06:52 AM
i am also stealing some traffic cones from work so look for some SDGE cones with reflectors that will help mark the camp

freejake3
04-30-2008, 07:03 AM
I'm hoping the weather will not live up to it's forcast like the rest of the month http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/USCA0094?from=tenDay_topnav_undeclared
but we'll see. They've been extremely off so far so let's hope this continues. That being said - I'll still be packing some cold weather gear.

Seanz0rz
04-30-2008, 10:15 AM
wow, you couldnt me much more off than that...

im planning for both 80/50 weather and 60/25 weather (basically shorts and pants, respectively. haha)

wifesaysimadumbass
04-30-2008, 06:11 PM
ouch 32 at night!!!!

Seanz0rz
04-30-2008, 06:14 PM
ouch 32 at night!!!!

thats beach weather in my book... hahaha doesnt mean i wont complain that its cold though. yeee haaa.

mikey, dont forget the skynyrd. i have a another song that should serve us well heading out sat morning.

freejake3
04-30-2008, 08:21 PM
That's what I like to hear.

I heard that Gold Mtn. is more challenging than in years past. Makes me want to bring a second spare. Doh!

We're officially under the 48 hour mark.

Seanz0rz
04-30-2008, 09:22 PM
i did it last year, wasnt horrifically challenging, i ran it from baldwin lake to jacoby canyon, i really only remember a few tough spots. did it with out a locker and my mother in the back seat crying. again, not too hard. but there were lots of sharp rocks...

tour4fun
05-01-2008, 07:07 AM
I still haven't heard from any attendees from Adventure4x4 but that may change as the week progresses.

You missed me from the adventure4x4 list :(. I'm still going to be there, just need to figure out where the camp is. Could someone please send me a cell phone to call if I get lost?

freejake3
05-01-2008, 07:38 AM
PM sent

randver
05-01-2008, 08:02 AM
cant wait, filling up with gas and packing tonight. leaven as soon as the wife get of work tomorrow.

what was he finel word on camp fires? ie do i need to bring some wood?

Tankota
05-01-2008, 08:19 AM
What were these coordinates for, was this the old camp sight planned.

34 17'59.94"N 116 52'25.84"W

*edit* - I had a Google maps link but it didn't work

Seanz0rz
05-01-2008, 10:54 AM
not sure, use the coords in the first post.

there will be no campfires, and you must obtain a fire permit for any bbq/campstoves. those can be had at the discovery center and maybe other ranger stations, not positive on the ranger stations though.

Tankota
05-01-2008, 11:04 AM
There are two sets of coordinates in the first post. I think I know where we are going though.

wow, we need fire permits for camp stoves

Seanz0rz
05-01-2008, 11:25 AM
the coords listed at the top are the actual campsite, the coords listed in the directions are for an intersection. those are the only 2 i saw there.

unfortunately, there is a good chance ill be rolling in at night, so ill just have to look for you guys. get to use my daylighters though :)

freejake3
05-01-2008, 11:37 AM
The coordinates at the beginning of the post are for the campsite while the other set in the directions from SD are for the turnoff from the 18 onto Van Dusen.

No fires allowed. I know it's a bummer so that's why I'm looking into borrowing a propane heater from my neighbor. Keep your fingers crossed. Otherwise I'm sure Mikey won't mind keeping some of you warm at night.

Don't worry about gettng a fire permit - Mikey and I will be up there by 2:00 and will stop by the Disco Ctr to grab one. AS for the Adventure Passes - if you see yourself getting up there after the Disco Ctr closes then please purchase one prior (Sports Chalet, Big 5, Sports Authority) so if a Ranger shows up in the am (most likely) we will all be covered. YOu will need 2 passes if you're staying the weekend.

Just keep your CB on 10 and everything will work out.

Shoot....I'll be on the road this time tomorrow.........YEEEEEEEE HAWWWWWWWWW

randver
05-01-2008, 12:14 PM
are the passes per person or per vehicle and why 2 for the weekend are they only day passes?

Seanz0rz
05-01-2008, 12:22 PM
the forest adventure pass (for san bernardino national forest) is $5 per day, per vehicle. i have an annual pass since im up there all the time. 30 bucks, go more than 6 days and its paid for itself. at the completion of this trip, i will have used it 5 times already this year.

i dont mind paying, it goes towards upkeep on facilities and forest and such, 5 bucks a day or 30 a year is a small price to pay to enjoy the forest. though i do wish it was free... ohwell.

you can get the passes at any ranger station/discovery center or sports chalet/big 5, etc. there is a sports chalet i know sells them in redlands, just off the 210(used to be 30) freeway in citrus plaza: http://www.sportchalet.com/corp/index.jsp?page=storeLocator&locationCode=31&state=CA&city=Redlands&locName=Redlands it is on the way to the mountains if you choose to go 10 east to 210 north/west to the 330. if you are going the long (but less frightening) way up the 38, it is just the other way from orange, so get off on either alabama and turn left, then right onto Lugonia. it is in the shopping center to your left, at the far end towards the 210 freeway. once done, return to Lugonia and head east, it will turn into 38.

the pass has "lotto scratcher" material on the front, and you scratch off the month and day you are using it for. i have seen people get cited for not having it, dont remember what the fine is, but its certainly more than 5 bucks.

hope that info helps!

Tankota
05-01-2008, 01:45 PM
The fine for not having a pass is $5.
I got a ticket once because i forgot my card. If you get sighted all you have to do is purchase a day pass (or a yearly pass) and mail in the serial number to prove that you purchased one. Or if you already have one just mail in its number. Someone from the forestry service actually recommended that rather than take time out and get one on the way in, you buy one after the fact and mail in.
I'd much rather use a yearly pass of buy one before hand anyway though.

freejake3
05-01-2008, 03:00 PM
Thanks for fielding that question boys.

I'm ready to wheeeeeeeeeeeel.

randver
05-01-2008, 05:48 PM
cool the adventure pass is the same one we need down here in SD for the cleveland park. since it is 30 for 1 or 35 for 2 i got 2 if anyone needs one

Marc P
05-01-2008, 08:19 PM
I will take the other one Anthony. What time are you going up?

freejake3
05-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Are we good to go boys? Any last minute details?

Time to get out of dodge soon enough.

Seanz0rz
05-01-2008, 08:55 PM
how late will you guys be up friday night?

depending on how much i have to do and such on friday, i might not be up till around 10pm. im trying to get done at around 5 and head out about 530, so i dont have to drive in the dark, but im not positive i can make that deadline.

Marc P
05-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Anyone have a propane heater???? we are gonna be cold at night.

I got my buns ready to go.

freejake3
05-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Don't worry Sean, I'll be up stumbling around.

Check out how off the forecast has been, let's hope this continues.
http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/USCA0094?month=-1

I couldn't get the heater. LOoks like we'll be huddling next to the grill.

randver
05-01-2008, 10:18 PM
k its yours Marc. im planing to leave sometime between 4-5 pm it all depends on when i get off work or if i have to work late.

wifesaysimadumbass
05-01-2008, 10:25 PM
i forgot to get traffic cones form work so and will mark the camp with some pink ribbon and some of the pink panties he always wears

Tankota
05-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Here's another one coming up in the dark :clap: I'm so ready to do some wheeling!!!

tour4fun
05-02-2008, 07:53 AM
i forgot to get traffic cones form work so and will mark the camp with some pink ribbon and some of the pink panties he always wears

Please also mark the turn off from Van Dusen to Holcomb :). Can anyone pm me another cell phone number please - I've just got Andy's.

cocoslow
05-02-2008, 04:21 PM
I'll be up Saturday. What's the name of the campground? What and when are the runs on Saturday?

Tankota
05-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Cocoslow - check first post for info. If your coming in the morning be there early, we leave camp at 8:30 sharp.

cocoslow
05-02-2008, 09:30 PM
What time do you leave for the after-lunch runs?