PDA

View Full Version : 94 Pickup not starting, typical help me! thread

Chapman88SR5
03-04-2008, 04:28 PM
1994 PickUp 4cyl (black with racing stripes if that matters :D)

Got in the truck last night and it wouldn't start. Think to myself ah whatever Ill just jump it in the morning. Go to jump it this morning and it wont crank. It turns over just fine but the engine will just not crank over. Tried putting a good battery in it and got the same results.

Any guesses?

4runnerchevy
03-04-2008, 06:53 PM
:headscratch: Confusing (won't crank but turns the motor just fine ?), does the starter turn the engine when you turn the key. If the motor turns then its a spark or fuel issue. Clarify please ?

slosurfer
03-04-2008, 08:34 PM
:headscratch: What color are the racing stripes?

Robinhood4x4
03-04-2008, 10:04 PM
the engine will just not crank over.

What's your definition of "crank over"? Turning over and cranking over seem like the same thing to me.

4runnerchevy
03-05-2008, 06:14 AM
If you have red racing stripes then it could be a fuel issue, or if they are yellow it could be a spark situation, any other color your screwed. :rofl: J/K

corax
03-05-2008, 08:41 AM
if when you turn the key, nothing happens - try having someone hold the key in the start position while you tap on the starter with a hammer.

if when you turn the key you hear one semi-loud clunk, but the engine doens't spin - check the battery cables -one to the starter, one to the engine block- make sure the copper isn't broken broken or corroded & that they're bolted on snug

Chapman88SR5
03-05-2008, 12:06 PM
Sorry guys let me clarify...

First of all the stripes are silver...

All the truck does is try to start. Meaning it makes the noise like it does right before the engine fires and starts running. Ill look at the plugs and a couple other things.

slosurfer
03-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Silver racing stripes! :( Well, that motor's screwed :shake: time to start looking for a donor 3.4L. :hillbill:

Well it definately sounds like a "spark" or "fuel" issue if the starter is engaging. Ummm.... there is gas in it, right? I know, stupid question, but you would be suprised.

Chapman88SR5
03-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Well I got it started. The IGN Fuse was blown. But now she runs like crap, sounds like a helicopter. Mis-fire?? I know there are cheapo plugs and wires in there so I am off right now to get some good stuff. Whats the gap suppose to be on these things?

Chapman88SR5
03-05-2008, 02:39 PM
I got it started and now it runs better than ever.

I got some nipendenso plugs and cleaned out all the electrical pugs around the cap. Now time for wires for added insurance.

corax
03-05-2008, 04:00 PM
good to hear you got it going, also good that you got ND plugs though NGK are also good in Toyota's (stay away from that Bosch crap).

You might want to carry a few extra fuses around for awhile, just in case - fuses usually don't blow for no good reason.

4runnerchevy
03-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Nice chapman glad its runnin.

Chapman88SR5
03-05-2008, 07:22 PM
I got some wires just in case one of them was arcing. Couldn't that cause a fuse to blow?

corax
03-05-2008, 08:00 PM
nope, won't cause a fuse to blow because spark plug voltage is caused by Electro Magnetic Induction from the magnetic field in the ignition coil collapsing and isn't fused. but it's not a bad idea to replace the spark plug wires with the plugs anyway

yotastan
03-05-2008, 08:36 PM
had a simular problem with mine when i got it 85 22re didnt want to start when it did start sounded like heli. soo plugs wires cap and rotor later runs like a beast..

haha try checking the timing i did mine and what a difference that made.