PDA

View Full Version : Digiscoping

Good Times
03-06-2008, 12:03 AM
Digi-scop-ing [dij-i-skoh-ping]

Digiscoping is a method of obtaining photos using a digital camera through a spotting scope, telescope or, less often, binoculars. Afocal projection is a method of astrophotography in which photographs are taken by holding or mounting the camera over the telescope eyepiece, with the camera taking the place of your eye. Afocal projection is the method most commonly associated with digiscoping.

Any of ya do this or even know about this? I just happen to come across this on Nikon's website and was definitely in awww by the cool stuff. Since I already have a digital Nikon (D100) it just makes it even that much sweeter :) I was originally looking at some cool Nikon optics for a pair of binoculars. This cool "hey I wouldn't mine one of these" came after the recent Mojave trip with Chris (slosurfer) when him and his dad were pimpin their own optics. It was pretty cool being able to check out and look at some stuff from a distance so it got me thinking to check out some stuff to see if I can one day buy my own toys.

Anyway after finding digiscopping I'm thinking hey this is a cool alternative that I never knew about! Combing two toys into one big toy... oooo awww! (such a boy).

Check out the details on how this all works here Read Me. (http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/digiscope.php?group=15&subgroup=152&num=3)

of course I wouldn't be able to afford this kind of toy but I thought it was pretty cool. It's not a binocular but it is a field/spotting scope which definitely still works. Anyone have anything or have any experience on these toys? Just thought I'd throw this up to see if anyone has been fortunate to play with toys like this and give me some feedback/recommendations as I definitely wouldn't mind having a set of good optics for the outdoor outings.

slosurfer
03-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Lance, my dad does have a telescope (spotting scope size) that you are supposed to be able to hook up to a camera. I don't think he has done it yet or figured it out. I'll have to ask him about it. I'm sure he'd let me play around with it, especially if I could end up telling him how to use it, hehe.