PDA

View Full Version : dSLR - help choosing

4LowLocked
03-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Well, I have decided my basic point and shoot is great for basic but after 20 yrs working in broadcast Video, I have decided to take my photography to the next level.

I have had my eyes on a Rebel XTi (400d) for quite some time now but I am not sure if this will continue to meet my needs going forward. How many of you have purchased this only to want to move up after a few months?
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=14256

Just this week, I noticed that the brand new Rebel XSi (450d) was announced (actually announced in Jan).
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=16303

Major differences between the 2 - XTi is 10.2MP while XSi is 12. The other is the XTi uses compact flash while the XSi uses SD or SDHC.

Anyone planning on purchasing an XSi?

Now Megapixel doesnt really matter to me as anything over 10 will suit my needs well.

They both use the same sensor (APS-C)

Which would you go with (XSi is about 200 more on average)

OR..........

Should I go with the 40d (about $1000 more average)
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=15653

Each of these I would get with the basic lens kit. But I have also seen some 5d's on craigslist for around the same price as a brand new 40d

Now - to explain my knowledge - I am not very familiar with photography and I guess you could say a novice when it comes to the equipment. I know about composition after being a cameraman for years in TV. I am now a graphics artist for broadcasting. Although there are many similarities between still and video there are still some tricks when working with still that I don't know yet - and want to learn!

Any help or suggestions would be great!

Thanks,

neliconcept
03-07-2008, 09:30 AM
XSi? whoa new canon rebel series camera? man im not up to par on this.

8-10mp is going to be perfect, i use a 30d and basically have made some huge prints with it.

is their a certain speed that you want to use?

exactly what are you going to shoot, yes each SLR can handle your needs a little different with subject matter.

4LowLocked
03-07-2008, 09:35 AM
Well im planning on shooting various scenes - trackdays, sports, landscape (when wheeling/camping) and portraits (headshots and such)

neliconcept
03-07-2008, 09:40 AM
trackdays, just helped me figure what you will need.

I would suggest looking at a 30d if you can find one relatively cheap (pretty easy now) 5fps really does help with races and trial runs. Its sensor is better then the XTI so it can handle higher sensitivity with ISO, if you check the denver model shoot 3 threads down, i shot those at 1000 ISO.

from there, lenses will determine what you shoot, headshots, a good 24-70 lens with 2.8 f stop. track days, id get a 70-200 or maybe the sigma 50-500 lens. landscape, look into a 10-20 lens, and those 3 lenses would be your entire arsenal for anything you can even encounter.

i only use 10-20 and 24-70 for everything i do

cooldry
03-07-2008, 09:56 AM
If it was me and you're looking at a new 40D and a used 5D. I would go with the 5D. But I would stay away from the Rebels. Not because they are bad cameras but because for the same price, you can get a used 30D. If you want to go really cheap, you can get a 20D. The difference between the 20 and 30 is that the 30 comes with a larger LCD. Although they are 8.2mp, you can get some large prints from them. As for the lens, for what you're looking to do, 70-200 is a definite. The 4.0L is a GREAT lens at a GREAT price.

neliconcept
03-07-2008, 09:58 AM
If it was me and you're looking at a new 40D and a used 5D. I would go with the 5D. But I would stay away from the Rebels. Not because they are bad cameras but because for the same price, you can get a used 30D. If you want to go really cheap, you can get a 20D. The difference between the 20 and 30 is that the 30 comes with a larger LCD. Although they are 8.2mp, you can get some large prints from them. As for the lens, for what you're looking to do, 70-200 is a definite. The 4.0L is a GREAT lens at a GREAT price.

30d also has spot metering and the 20d does not.

slosurfer
03-07-2008, 04:48 PM
I know my wife just went through all this and ended up going with the Rebel XTI, she has a degree in fashion photography from the Colorado Institute of Arts. She does some weddings and soon will be specializing in child photography. Basically, the camera does everything she needs, it will take all the lenses that she already has, and the money she saved by not going for the others, she can put towards a flash and other stuff. Oh, and she wanted to buy "new", so that's why she didn't get a used 30D. She used to work at a camera store and we are still really good friends with the owner, they talked about it quite a bit, and it really wasn't a contest on going for the more expensive cameras. She could tell you more, as these are just the reasons that I know of.

No use paying extra for stuff that you will never use or know how to use.

Skrillah
03-27-2008, 08:32 AM
The XTi has my vote, I have the XT but am a big advocate of the XTi. My girlfriends dad has one, and I've used it quite often and there is a difference. Decent size screen, great features, cleans the sensor for you, and good picture quality.

I've had nothing but good luck with Canon and would do an XTi if you have the cash. I didn't want to wait, and they were in the 1000 range when I was looking so the $400 cheaper XT was my choice.

4x4mike
03-27-2008, 09:02 AM
I like my Nikon D50. I got it when it first came out, mistake, and have good luck with it. It fits well and isn't too heavy. Everyone was saying to get the Canon but it don't fit well and to me, was too expensive for what it was. A new or used D50 can be had for cheap. For what I paid I could have gotten a D70s or D80. By not having one of those models I don't think I'm missing anything tho.

neliconcept
03-27-2008, 09:03 PM
new canon STI is now out as well so look into that,

40d is a nice option as it is a little bit faster then 30d, about 6.5fps, also has better ISO sensitivity.

4LowLocked
03-28-2008, 05:33 AM

40d is a nice option as it is a little bit faster then 30d, about 6.5fps, also has better ISO sensitivity.

Are you talking about the new XSi? I don't see an STI on their website?

neliconcept
03-28-2008, 05:40 AM

Are you talking about the new XSi? I don't see an STI on their website?

yeah XSI was off on letters

4LowLocked
03-28-2008, 06:05 AM
Ya after reading all the info I think Im going to hold off until the XSi arrives in Canada (few more weeks still) and will pick that up. I have been debating between the camera or a lift kit for the runner... camera is going to win as it will give me more enjoyment in the long run. Lift will just have to wait a little longer