PDA

View Full Version : Brake issues...

CJM
03-15-2008, 07:29 PM
Ok this is REALLY starting to annoy me.

96 T100 SR5, 3.4L, x-cab, 4x4.

Backlog: Had major brake problems that eventually lead to the replacement of everything besides the rear drums, the master cylinder, LSPV and the brake lines. I repeat, EVERYTHING else is new, cleaned or good (or so I think)! That new list includes pads/rotors, shoes, calipers.

I barely drive the truck, as I have my work vehicle, but right after leaving the shop after we cut my rear drums and cleaned off the somewhat glazed shoes I noticed it wasnt right.. Today I am driving about 40 miles on twisty backroads and I can feel the stinking thing shudder when stopping and its all in the rear AFAIK, I dont feel the wheel vibrate like the fronts are warped at all.

But here is the gist of it: When stopping (after we CUT the rear drums and replaced the shoes. Drums were WAY OUT) i still get this grinding noise and although the truck stops well I can feel and hear it vibrate/grind too. However the truck stops rather well besides the grinding, I can stop on a dime if need be. Perhaps the rears are adjusted to far out-we did it so you can turn the wheel a half revolution by hand if you spin them while in the air.

The only thing I can freaking think of its because the drums were so out that they are to thin now from cutting and that the rear shoes I drove on before we cut the drums have become badly glazed. I am sick and tired of throwing money into this truck....

So do I replace the rear shoes and drums and PRAY, HOPE, BEG, and PLEAD they are ok. Or is it something else? I know for a fact I have all quality stuff up front (brembo rotors/hawk pads), but I used these 40 some odd dollar napa premium shoes in the rear and we just cut the drums A GOOD BIT as they were WAY outta round

4runnerchevy
03-16-2008, 04:29 AM
Why get everything new and not the drums. I would replace the drums, keep the shoes you just bought. Oh yeah, always replace the springs in your drums, every time you do your shoes.

CJM
03-16-2008, 10:07 AM
I think so, we took two passes off the drums and the drums already have 200k on them.

It was basically to save some cash, otherwise I woulda bought new drums..