PDA

View Full Version : Why do you hunt? Honest Research here...

Cheese
03-17-2008, 01:04 PM
Gents,

Some of you know the business I am in. I will fill more of that in later.

I am on Spring Break trying to knock out some work and thought I would query a captive audience for some honest opinions.

I am wondering if you hunt, why? Adding info about how long you have hunted, what you hunt and why you started would be great.

For me, it started at age 12. My father was not a hunter, but I am from a rural community in Southern Wisconsin, so all my friends were taking Hunter's Safety. My Dad took the course with me and we have been hunting buddies every since, I am 27 now. We have hunted deer, ducks, antelope, turkey, pheasants and grouse in several states. I began hunting for time with friends, then it was for time with my father. I have not been out as much lately, with school and a rock crawling problem, but I relish the chance to be in the woods. I feel like I can hunt well and still be happy coming home without meat to put on the table.

Thanks.

AxleIke
03-17-2008, 01:23 PM
My father is a hunter. My first hunt was when I was 14. I have moved up into my own weapons, and am giving thought to bow hunting, as I used to be quite good in Bow comps in 4H.

I hunt for several reasons. Pleasure mostly. I truly enjoy being out with my father and bros, and the thrill of getting something is more than worth the tedious hours of walking and waiting.

I enjoy it both with and without a kill. Obviously, bagging something is preferred.

Erich_870
03-17-2008, 02:14 PM
I started hunting when I was 11.  I've tagged along with my dad since I was 7.  We're mainly bird hunters, chasing ducks, geese, doves, quail, pheasants, etc.

Since moving to Alaska I've taken an interest in chasing game that fills the freezer a little quicker (I'll never give up duck hunting though  :love:)

I enjoy hunting for the solitude, or comradery depending on the situation, being outdoors, using a God given resource and providing food for the table.

I also find some solace in knowing that I could provide for my family if it really hit the fan and the super markets went dry.

Erich

4runnerchevy
03-17-2008, 06:41 PM
For me it started at 12 and ended when I got married.

reggie 00
03-17-2008, 07:38 PM
Took Hunters Safety in Wisconsin. Mainly cause we lived out in the middle of nowhere. really only squirrel. never got anything.

Started reading and studying hunting was really getting into it. Had notes on Outfitter schools.

Moved to Georgia.
Lost track of it. not a lot of places to shoot or go hunting. Parents had some financial diff, and Pop's sold our rifles.

Moved back to California.
Same deal no guns, pretty populous area. Did some here and there.

Few years ago started checking stuff out.
The main reason i like to hunt is the time spent.
Going out with Friends or Family.
I try for the Trophy type.
Love the meat.

Second reason, i love to shoot guns. Not the best, not the worst shot. Hold my own pretty good.

Did Deer, Pheasant last year.
Plans for Pig, Pheasant,Deer,Duck and Coyote this year.

For me it started at 12 and ended when I got married.

We need to fix that.

Ric
03-17-2008, 09:15 PM
for me, it started when I was 21, in Ga. but we was taught to hunt the enemy, lol..

seriously, I do want to, but Im almost ashammed to say, Ive never really hunted, and dont know how to skin any animals.
Growing up in the city, and with a single parent, mom, never had the chance. I think it would be fun, and get some good food out of the deal, :thumbup:

97t4rnr
03-19-2008, 10:38 PM
Started when I was 5 by going with my dad and just walking with him and learning about being quiet and gun safety.

He bought me my first gun for Christmas when I was 8. It was a single shot 20ga. Started out just hunting squirrel, but over the years I have hunted grouse, duck, dove, deer, rabbit, wild boar, and most recently Axis deer.

I have started taking both my boys, when they feel the urge to go, and hope to pass on the joy of hunting to them.

As to why I hunt, it provides me with a sense of relaxation and a time to gather my thoughts. It doesn't matter if I kill anything, although as someone else has stated, it does make the hunt more rewarding at times. It also allows me to reflect on the times I spent with my dad as a child. He doesn't hunt anymore, bad knees, but does enjoy the stories I tell, just as he did when I didn't get to go.

:camping:

gilby4runner
03-20-2008, 09:48 AM
Started at 25. My father never was a hunter. My father in-law is an amazing outdoors man. He got me into deer, ducks, geese, and turkey. I enjoy deer and turkey for the peace and quiet that it brings at times. There is nothing better than taking a few hours and sitting in the woods. I enjoy it for the sport and challange. I am not the "bush wacker" type of hunter. Setting up a stand beside a pile of corn you poured out is not hunting. I enjoy the time and effort that it takes to plant and keep up the fields each spring and fall. I will not kill something just to kill it. If i am not going to eat it then i will not shoot it.

bigwapitijohnny
03-20-2008, 10:07 AM
I taught myself at the age of 28. Nothing is more rewarding than studying, hunting and harvesting an animal. I must qualify my hunting as FAIR CHASE hunting only. The most challenging of quarry that I have hunted is the Elk (Wapiti), hence my 'handle' name. There are a few things in life that reward me more, and I am grateful for the spiritual, mental, and physical challenges that hunting bring. I cannot wait to experience this with my son while turkey hunting this spring. :thumbup:

AxleIke
03-20-2008, 11:21 AM
on a total sidenote, you seriously need to hurry up and finish this ***** thesis so we can hang out again.

RunnerUp
05-22-2008, 11:11 AM
i started when i was 12, didnt bag anything bigger than the occasional hog until i was 18 or so. i hunt deer, pheasant, hogs and quail.

i hunt because of the solitude of being alone in the woods with your rifle stalking your prey. i also enjoy the nights back at camp drinking with my family and friends and cooking up something that we got that day, if we didnt get anything, well its venison sausage on white bread with a little mustard... gotta love it.

on a side note, i go for head shots on anything less than 50 yards out and head shots only on does when we have tags. if its more than 50 yards or its a trophy buck, i go for the neck or the heart.

i also go hunting because face it, we as a species have invaded their land, and if we didnt have yearly hunts to thin the heards, they would literally starve themselves to death if left to their own devices. atleast my girlfriend is okay with that aspect of it.

surf4runner
05-29-2008, 04:10 PM
I will not kill something just to kill it. If i am not going to eat it then i will not shoot it.
i started out shooting ~10. mostly w/a .22 and targets.
then started going out w/my dad and a few of his friends on dirtbikes, sometimes overnight.
rabbit, deer, duck, pheasant, boar/pig.

some of his friends were, uh.. 'connected', the craziest time was rabbit hunting w/a tommy gun.

learned a lot since then. and now approach it w/the above quote.

i prefer to use a bow now.
my friend has deer vertebrae w/the tip embedded in it, didnt even take a step after it was hit.

its satisfing to think that i could sustain my family.

Henrythewound
05-30-2008, 09:50 AM
I'm not a hunter (not sure if you were looking for this input or not). I have relatives in TN who do, but I have never been along. I don't see anything wrong with hunting for food, but trophy hunting pisses me off.

oly884
05-30-2008, 12:38 PM
I started last year, and got my first deer and a couple grouse last year as well.

I hunt for food, exercise, pest control, and the love of the outdoors. Aside from pest control, I'm with Henry on this one, trophy hunting just annoys me. As surf4runner said, it is satisfying to know that I can sustain myself and my family if need be.