PDA

View Full Version : ipod touch newbie question

Robinhood4x4
03-19-2008, 10:42 PM
The apple website says it has internet connectivity via wifi. Does this mean it can connect to the internet through an ordinary wireless router like the one I have at home? Or is there some catch?

localmotion
03-19-2008, 11:07 PM
From what I understand, it can connect to any wifi in the area, so yes, you can use the home wifi.

dontdo_that
03-19-2008, 11:25 PM
Like the Iphone, the Ipod touch can use any wifi available. If you go in to the apple store and check out the Iphones/Ipod touches, you will see that the internet is damn fast on them.. but thats because they are connected to the apple store's wifi.

Bighead
03-20-2008, 03:27 AM
The apple website says it has internet connectivity via wifi. Does this mean it can connect to the internet through an ordinary wireless router like the one I have at home? Or is there some catch?

That's right and mine is pretty fast also.

Robinhood4x4
03-20-2008, 07:16 AM
Cool, and no subscription is needed, right? It's just like any other computer trying to connecting to the LAN.

paddlenbike
03-20-2008, 09:16 AM
Right. Hopefully you have some security measures in place at home such as a WPA security key. Give it the access settings once and it will auto-connect.

Some websites automatically identify the operating system and direct your mobile unit to a WAP site--basically a slimmed down version that reduces the number of window frames, advertisements (that won't run anyway due to the lack of flash player) and heavy graphics. It's quite nice, actually. For example, when I visit yahoo it directs me to http://us.m.yahoo.com/, yahoo's slim mobile site. Click the link and check it out on your PC.

4x4mike
03-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Google has a "mobile" version as well. Locally KCRA and weather.com are similar.

Robinhood4x4
03-21-2008, 07:42 AM
The wife says I can't browse the internet because I keep finding new things to buy. But in this case it's her fault because she's the one who wanted an ipod in the first place...just not the top of the line one. This whole internet connectivity is just cool.

paddlenbike
03-21-2008, 08:21 AM
Just don't get in the habit of checking woot.com, steepandcheap.com and slickdeals.net each morning before work...before long you'll have a pile of stuff that you got cheap but don't use. (Don't ask me how I know.)

Off to woot...

EWAYota
03-21-2008, 09:40 PM
So the iPhones have High Speed Wifi as well as the Ipod Touch, but outside of a wifi hotspot they run at dial-up speed?

Edit: Answered my own question, didn't know the iTouch had wifi capabilites and I forgot the iPhone did. I was wanting to hold out till the 3G iPhone comes out, but thinking about it, I don't use the internet on my phone all that much but when I do, I'm usually in WiFi spots. And the things I'd like browse or applications I'd use, 3G would still be slow I would think, ie: youtube or possibly the maps program.

Robinhood4x4
04-10-2008, 08:31 PM
I have to say the Touch is pretty cool! I picked it up last weekend and have been playing with it ever since. Now I can be like bob and email and surf the internet from the bathroom, or in bed, or at my desk while my computer is being slow.

The interface is extremely cool and I'm impressed with how accurately I can click on links on the tiny screen. However, I did almost delete kurt's thread about his bumper :bangdesk:

paddlenbike
04-10-2008, 09:00 PM
WiFi can be really handy to have with you. My favorite so far--there was actually wifi service at Panamint Springs Resort in Death Valley where I logged in, from the middle of the desert mind you, checked my email and found out that Ryan's (Tanto) truck had been broken into the night before and he wouldn't be making it. Saved us hours of waiting around for him wondering where he was.