PDA

View Full Version : Anyone run a spool or L.L. in the rear of the 8" Toy axle ?

4runnerchevy
03-30-2008, 03:58 PM
Anyone run a spool or L.L. in the rear of the 8" Toy axle ? Just need some opinions ? Did you break it, or some part of the rear ?

20005spd
03-30-2008, 05:03 PM
i ran a welded 8" 4cyl rear in my 3.4 5spd 4runner while i looked for an elocker. i was not easy on it by any means and it held up fine. for a daily driver it sucks though.

04 Rocko Taco
03-30-2008, 07:39 PM
I run a welded rear in my Toy 8" in the '84 - no issues as of yet, except for funny looks in the parking lot when I am crawlin at the mall. :)

Cheese
03-30-2008, 09:19 PM
Is it a trail only truck?

The money saved buying a spool compared to the money killed in tire wear make it questionable.

Crappy weld jobs break more often than spools.

Tankota
03-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Most of the time my ratchet locker isn't much better than a spool any way.

20005spd
03-31-2008, 03:46 AM
i hear that. selectable is the only way.

wifesaysimadumbass
03-31-2008, 06:06 AM
if you have the dough selectable is bitchin. otherwise my detroit in rear is very streetable..just got to stay off the gas in corners

4runnerchevy
03-31-2008, 07:32 AM
My rig is not a DD. I will need to drive it to my favorite wheel spots. My current setup has a detroit, but its life is near the end. I have a welded rear spare, with good welds (by me). I don't want to spend money, at this point, on a new locker. I already have to replace the R&P. Thanks for the input.

04 Rocko Taco
03-31-2008, 07:34 AM
I drive my '84 to all the trails also, so it sees roughly 2 hours of hwy driving one way and maybe 15-25 minutes of "city" driving all on paved roads every other weekend or so.

4runnerchevy
03-31-2008, 07:44 AM
I drive my '84 to all the trails also, so it sees roughly 2 hours of hwy driving one way and maybe 15-25 minutes of "city" driving all on paved roads every other weekend or so.

The farthest will be to Lake Tahoe and the Rubicon. Its about 4 1/2 to 5 hrs each way of highway driving. Around 1 Hr to Hollister hills OHV area. Thanks for the input Chris. I am not worried about tire wear, cause its not a DD.

4runnerchevy
03-31-2008, 08:13 AM
My new install kit will have a crush sleeve. Anyone know the dimensions, mainly length, of a solid spacer for the toy 8" (1986). I want to just machine one up and punch-out shims, instead of using the crush sleeve (cause I am cheap). The crush sleeve is part of my current problem.

all_terrain17
03-31-2008, 08:14 AM

How's that?

I think my beaten, misaligned IFS eats tires faster than anything.

Tankota
03-31-2008, 08:24 AM

How's that?

I think my beaten, misaligned IFS eats tires faster than anything.

A ratchet locker locks whenever your on the gas or off the gas. Basically whenever there is tension on the driveline. The only time it unlocks is in the float position, that is just enough throttle to keep the drivetrain floating between acceleration and deceleration.
It will also unlock "sometimes" at slow speed and sharp turning, like in a parking lot.
So anywhere except a parking lot, a ratchet locker is a spool.

I still drive my truck around town a lot, so that tiny benefit of having a ratchet locker is worth while for me still. Once it is mostly a trail rig, I think I will go with a spool.

Intrepidyota
03-31-2008, 09:49 AM
Anyone run a spool or L.L. in the rear of the 8" Toy axle ? Just need some opinions ? Did you break it, or some part of the rear ?

I ran a lincoln locker on 36's and I am now running one on 38's, I haven't had any problems with it in either case.