PDA

View Full Version : Fitting 35's without Lift

all_terrain17
04-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Always been sort of anti-lift, and I'm finally getting a chance to bolt 35" tires to stock IFS. Here goes.

Before with the worn 33's. Removed the door to make work a bit easier.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g171/all_terrain17/100_6822.jpg

35's

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g171/all_terrain17/100_6819.jpg

What we're working with. Typical beaten pinchweld, which isn't going to cut it anymore.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g171/all_terrain17/100_6824.jpg

Fitting tires is the most fun you will ever have working on your truck.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g171/all_terrain17/100_6834.jpg

Cutting the patch.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g171/all_terrain17/100_6841.jpg

Patch in.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g171/all_terrain17/100_6845.jpg

Left foot's view.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g171/all_terrain17/100_6842.jpg

Sealant.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g171/all_terrain17/100_6850.jpg

Undercoating.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g171/all_terrain17/100_6852.jpg

Ran out of daylight, and didn't have a chance to get to the passenger side, but that will come about soon. 35's on.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g171/all_terrain17/100_6825.jpg

The 35's are balanced with ~12 ounces of airsoft pellets and the ride is much smoother than ye old beaten 33's. Took it out on the interstate and it runs 3k RPM @ 70 compared to 4k RPM @ 70. It's nice not having to over-rev anymore.

Tankota
04-05-2008, 10:07 PM
Nice work. But will you get any flex now? That rear tire looks awfully close to the bedsides.

all_terrain17
04-05-2008, 10:22 PM
Flex is not existent up front, but the rear flexes well.

Still far from finished cutting everything, bed included. The rims are 4" backspaced, and look like they will stuff the rear tires nicely. I will have to do some more minor trimming on the front and rear of the well though.

Ground to frame is 21.5" Forgot to put that in the first post.

AxleIke
04-05-2008, 11:14 PM
I'm watching this closely.

Tankota
04-06-2008, 01:51 PM
I know you said your an anti-lift person, but have you thought about installing say 1" body spacers. The height difference is almost unnoticeable but will give you considerably more tire clearance.

You say the front doesn't flex at all. Do you crawl the truck much? Just curious as to why you need 35's with no suspension upgrades. :headscratch: What gears are you running?

I recently upgraded to 35's from 33's too. But I have lots of suspension to back it up and bring the tires to their full potential. I also am not a fan of sky high lifts, my front springs are only 2 inches lift. But I do run 1" body spacers just for tire clearance.

Intrepidyota
04-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Looks good, now cut the hell out of those fenders. :thumbup:

all_terrain17
04-06-2008, 03:57 PM
I know you said your an anti-lift person, but have you thought about installing say 1" body spacers. The height difference is almost unnoticeable but will give you considerably more tire clearance.

Guess I just don't see a need to lift the truck if tires are clearing fine? You're running a flexy suspension up front. I'm not.

Don't see what the big deal is to do some cutting and welding.

You say the front doesn't flex at all. Do you crawl the truck much? Just curious as to why you need 35's with no suspension upgrades. :headscratch: What gears are you running?

I had 5.29's installed long ago. Do I need 35's? Nah. I found a smokin deal on them through mossyrocks and had the gearing. Why not?

As for crawling, I guess I'm just a poser, I don't even really have the gearing.

Looks good, now cut the hell out of those fenders. :thumbup:

Honestly I don't think I'll have to touch the front fenders over what I did to clear 33's.

I'll post more pictures next weekend of the finished product. I'll try and get a buddy to bring a camera if we finish in time to wheel.

Tankota
04-07-2008, 07:41 AM
Well at the moment you have better gears than I do. I still have 4:88's in the diffs. :29's coming soon though.

What did the 35's do to your fuel economy. I know mine went considerably down, but I'm hoping it will improve with lower gears.

all_terrain17
04-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Sorry for being vague about the gears. I've got 5.29 diffs, but a stock transfer case.

I haven't really driven it enough to figure out how much gas I'm using. It will probably improve highway mileage because of the over-revving I had with 33's, but around the town will probably be worse.

One thing to take into consideration is these wheels and tires are HEAVY! They're probably 80 lbs a piece if I had to guess. That won't help mileage. :D

neliconcept
04-07-2008, 08:42 AM
those trxxus tires are 70 pounds by them selves, if those are steelies, then they are about 35 to 40 pounds.. so more then 100 a piece actually.

Id do some suspension mods just to improve flex so that you can handle the terrain by going at it with an angle rather then having to square up each time imo.

anthony1
04-08-2008, 08:35 AM
It's not impossible to fit 35's on IFS. It's just not functional. not to be a downer, just telling like it is.

all_terrain17
04-08-2008, 09:05 AM
Care to explain?

anthony1
04-08-2008, 10:14 AM
well, a functional 4x4 is one that has at least some flex. When you fit 35's on IFS without any lift, then limit the flex so it won't rub, then you're defeating the purpose of having suspension in the first place....not to mention a very uncomfortable ride.

all_terrain17
04-08-2008, 10:36 AM
How am I limiting the flex? I'm clearancing for flex, hence the cutting. The suspension is stock.

Not sure what you mean.

4Runner202020
04-08-2008, 10:55 AM
i think what he is trying to say is that aftermarket/lift springs will allow more flex and in turn more capable. which is true to some but for others is not needed. to each is own.

04 Rocko Taco
04-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Jed, they look good. period. They work for you how you need them, and if you need more flex for what you do, I am sure you will go and get what you need... in the meantime I think they look good, and fi you get tired of them.... you know where to sell them. :)

all_terrain17
04-08-2008, 11:25 AM
i think what he is trying to say is that aftermarket/lift springs will allow more flex and in turn more capable. which is true to some but for others is not needed. to each is own.

Alright.

BUT, lack of flex has never been the limiting factor. Gears and lockers have.

Jed, they look good. period. They work for you how you need them, and if you need more flex for what you do, I am sure you will go and get what you need... in the meantime I think they look good, and fi you get tired of them.... you know where to sell them. :)

Honestly, I could care less how it looks! I'm just a dumb 19 year old kid who wants to go wheelin. :clap: And prove internet conjecture isn't always true.

4Runner202020
04-08-2008, 11:31 AM
and i agree. i was just tryin to say what he was tryin to say. lol

Alright.

Honestly, I could care less how it looks! I'm just a dumb 19 year old kid who wants to go wheelin. :clap: And prove internet conjecture isn't always true.

neliconcept
04-08-2008, 11:36 AM

Alright.

well it all depends..

your stock suspension could use some better shocks to increase travel. or you could lift it and inch to gain some up travel, it all depends, i dont think they are saying, lift it sky high so you dont rub, that doesnt do a thing but help kill CVs.

lockers is the key, but without flex, you are going to be one tippy truck, wheel stands everywhere. just my opinion.

but regardless, youve done a great job with the tubbing of the firewall and what not. and that will definitely eliminate issues, good job!

Intrepidyota
04-08-2008, 12:14 PM

Internet conjecture? Bad news, the limits of IFS have been well tested and documented. ;)

all_terrain17
04-08-2008, 12:32 PM
I'm just not as hardcore, dude!

AxleIke
04-08-2008, 01:33 PM

the limits of IFS have been well tested and documented. ;)

I disagree.

YotaFun
04-08-2008, 01:56 PM
We have to remember to each his own,
And a stock locked truck will get farther on the trails then a open dif lifted truck.

We have to remember there are some guys out there runing 31' tires A mild lift and a locker and are having some fun.
(just saw some in this months 4WD Toyota Owner)

As for the limits on IFS and them being tested.
I will stay out of that argument,
I believe with the aftermarket in the IFS industry it be safely said it has been tested.

neliconcept
04-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Jed, work with what you have, if you feel the need for more flex, do a little more suspension upgrades, hope to see you at SE4RJ.

Intrepidyota
04-08-2008, 03:10 PM

I disagree.

If you could get upgraded axle shafts for it I would second your disagreement, but since they don't I have to politely disagree again. :)

RobG
04-08-2008, 05:00 PM
I think it looks good, the less lift the better. Kind of the anti F-250 with 8" lift on 35's that you see way too much of out here.

Stock IFS axles are great, they're cheap, easy to carry, easy to replace, and keep you from breaking more expensive stuff.

Great Job!

AxleIke
04-08-2008, 06:00 PM

I disagree.

If you could get upgraded axle shafts for it I would second your disagreement, but since they don't I have to politely disagree again. :)

You can, but they are spendy.

I haven't needed them. I've yet to break a CV. I've yet to be limited by IFS. I'm sure it will happen.

However, I know of 4 guys who've pushed IFS farther than anyone else. 2 of them swapped. None of them are running a stock 22re.

Power kills parts, and the 4banger has none. So does excessive wheel spin, but lockers fix that.

I'm convinced with gearing, a stock 22re, and 2 lockers, and just a LITTLE common sense, breaking stuff is pretty hard, if not next to impossible.

Anyway, the common, internet dogma, is that 35's are too much for early IFS. I am anxiously awaiting this truck's trail performance updates, as I would love to bump up to 35's.

Cheese
04-08-2008, 08:34 PM
Can 35's be bolted to stock IFS? In the business, we call this sort of claim equivocation.

Stock height?

Stock truck, as in completely unmodified?

The rear doesn't hit anything when fully stuffed?

You have successfully completed an elaborate modification well. Not sure what else you have proven or wanted to prove.

avstanley
04-13-2008, 08:06 AM
Nice job on fitting 35's on a stock suspension. I have a 95 4Runner that I plan on doing something similar to. I look forward to hearing more about the clearance issues on the front of the truck.

all_terrain17
05-10-2008, 01:35 PM
No pictures to prove it has been off pavement, but it has been wheeled twice now.

Both times I tried climbing steep inclines with loose footing. Lots of bouncing and wheel spin, but everything held up fine. The added clearance was nice, but nothing was any easier than it was with old worn out 33's. Only now I cringe anytime I try forcing the truck over things.

On the highway things have been much nicer, and I've been averaging 20 MPGs so far. That's with maybe an added 300lbs worth of tools and junk, and a CEL due to a busted knock sensor connector.

Some pictures of the bed cutting. I'm a big fan of this door trim guard on the rough cuts. Ties things up nicely.
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g171/all_terrain17/Add3.jpg

Need to do some more cutting on the firewall. May be able to do this next week.
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g171/all_terrain17/Add2.jpg

3rdCoastRunner
08-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Any updates?