PDA

View Full Version : 504HP Toyota 5.7L TRD Supercharger

Good Times
04-10-2008, 06:00 PM
http://www.pickuptruck.com/IMAGES/news/toyota/tundra/trd/intro.jpg

Can you say this thing is gonna FLY!? Man that's just NUTS!

[quote=Mike Levine @ pickuptruck.com]
Dealers continue to reveal secrets about future products.

A forum member ('jkchang') at Tundra Solutions, who apparently works for Longo Toyota in El Monte, California, was visited by reps from Toyota Racing Development (TRD) interested in discussing future product with sales staff on the frontlines. After the pipeline talk ended the TRD folks revealed a new Toyota Sequoia equipped with TRD's long anticipated supercharger bolted on its 5.7-liter iForce V8 - the same eight cylinder engine shared with the Tundra - sitting outside in the parking lot. jkchang says TRD claims it's rated at 504-horsepower. That's 123-horsepower more than the naturally aspirated 5.7-liter V8. No word on torque.

A story like this could be taken with a huge grain of salt, except jkchang also took pictures of what looks to be a legit TRD compressor on top of a 5.7-liter V8. And Toyota has previously stated its 5.7-liter TRD supercharger was rated at "around 500-hp" on its project trucks, like last year's Toyota Tundra Double Cab TRD Off-Road Concept.

PickupTruck.com sources at Toyota have told us the 5.7-liter supercharged Tundra has been clocked running the 1/4-mile in the mid-13s. They also say it will be the fastest vehicle in the Toyota lineup, excluding Lexus and, ahem, Scion.

Check out jkchang's first drive impression of a supercharged 5.7-liter iForce V8 at Tundra Solutions. [/quote[

Source: PickupTruck.com (http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/news/toyota/tundra/trd/is-rated-at-504-hp.html)

DHC6twinotter
04-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Wow...nice! I wonder what kind of fuel injection setup they are using. 9th injector maybe? Or better yet, hopefully some larger injectors.

Very nice! I want one. :D

BruceTS
04-11-2008, 09:13 AM
shoot, I should take the new Tundra chassis and drop my 4Runner body on it......

4Runner202020
04-11-2008, 09:16 AM
i was at the dealership not to long ago and i dont know if the manager was talkin out of his $$$ but he claimed that they are coming out with a tundra diesel and they are de-tuneing it because it is pushin 900 and some hp. and it is coming out in 2010 he claims. i donno if it's true but toyota is sure pushin stuff to the limit and i love it!!! LOL

BruceTS
04-11-2008, 09:18 AM
i was at the dealership not to long ago and i dont know if the manager was talkin out of his $$$ but he claimed that they are coming out with a tundra diesel and they are de-tuneing it because it is pushin 900 and some hp. and it is coming out in 2010 he claims. i donno if it's true but toyota is sure pushin stuff to the limit and i love it!!! LOL

The manager must be sniffin propane......

4Runner202020
04-11-2008, 09:21 AM
ya thats what i was thinkin. but that supercharger sure sounds sweet!!! makes me want a tundra pretty bad...

MTL_4runner
04-11-2008, 11:54 AM

It would probably be pushing 900 ft-lbs if it was a diesel, not 900 HP.
That would still have to be a very healthy and well boosted diesel though.

Good Times
04-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Toyota is working on a diesel engine based off of the Hino trucks for the Tundra slated for 2010 so he is accurate to some respect. He's definitely confused with the hp/torque numbers as there's no way a diesel would have 900 hp. Sadly Toyota won't be sharing this diesel engine with any other vehicle platform :(

A diesel LC or 4runner would be pretty sweet fyi.

garrett
04-11-2008, 01:24 PM

I think you mean "fwiw"... and if not, then thanks for the info :P :flipoff:

Good Times
04-11-2008, 01:30 PM
doh! damn just got skkooooled!

YotaFun
04-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Hmmm, if Toyota follows that time frame and deadline for that diesel engine I will probably be taught all the little ins and outs of it at UTI.

As for the supercharger on the 5.7l.
Its like putting a supercharger in a corvette, you might just kill yourself :P

neliconcept
04-11-2008, 01:37 PM
Toyota is working on a diesel engine based off of the Hino trucks for the Tundra slated for 2010 so he is accurate to some respect. He's definitely confused with the hp/torque numbers as there's no way a diesel would have 900 hp. Sadly Toyota won't be sharing this diesel engine with any other vehicle platform :(

whoa Lance, not true on the 900hp numbers of a diesel, their are cummins and powerstrokes out there running 1200hp and about 1900ftq

i can garuntee that.

but from the factory, no

Good Times
04-11-2008, 01:40 PM
ok i should have clarified... factory stuff only.

anything aftermarket is possible.

DHC6twinotter
04-11-2008, 02:42 PM
If they are going to use a modified version of the 7.68L I6 turbo diesel that is in the Hino, I could maybe see the torque getting up to 900. Probably around 400hp or so.

They should put the 4.5L twin turbo diesel that is overseas into the LCs, 4Runners, Sequoias, and 1/2 ton Tundras. Would be nice. :D

Cheese
04-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Putting a charger on that engine would be a hoot.

If you were at the dealer here in town, it is laughable. I was test driving old double cab Tundras and sold the salesman on one of the new Tacomas, he was clueless.

A 900 HP stock factory diesel? That is a liability.

Even the hotrodded domestics that break 1k torque are not that high of HP numbers and calling them stock is a joke.

The kind of diesel that will allow the Tundra to take over the big truck market is not the kind you want in a Runner. Toyota has no reason to make diesels over here for a good long while.

Willman
09-05-2008, 08:38 PM
That is one hot go fast motor!!! That would be fun as a daily driver!

fustercluck
09-06-2008, 06:21 AM
Lets just cut to the chase and strap one of these to the bed...

http://science.nationalgeographic.com/staticfiles/NGS/Shared/StaticFiles/Science/Images/Content/space-shuttle-atlantis-sts-27-in-1972-sw.jpg