PDA

View Full Version : Toyota plans to build 2nd assembly plant in India

Good Times
04-11-2008, 10:40 PM
I had no clue Toyota even had a plant in India to begin with. Rather interesting news. Looks like Toyota's growing quite a bit. Hope these expansions don't hurt their production qualities. Obviously we've seen a few recently but hopefully those are all flukes.

TOKYO -- Toyota said today it plans to spend 35 billion yen ($350.0 million) to build a second assembly plant in India. The factory will start operations in 2010, with annual capacity of 100,000 vehicles.

The facility will be built outside Bangalore next to Toyota’s first plant, run with local partner Toyota Kirloskar Motor, Toyota said earlier today.

The second factory will build the Corolla as well as a new compact vehicle. The compact is also expected to be exported to other countries, Toyota said.

Toyota and its partner TKM currently have annual capacity of around 52,000 vehicles in India. Their existing plant produces the Corolla and the Innova minivan.

Source: AutoNews.com (http://www.autonews.com)

4runnerchevy
04-13-2008, 04:53 AM
So when I call tech support for my computer, I can ask em how the New Toy Plant is doing.

20005spd
04-14-2008, 04:32 AM
they should stop being cheap and just build them in japan like old days. nissan builds alot of there cars in mexico and they suck. the ones from japan are better. nissan even started building more in japan this year, our nissan field rep said the quality was worse, but that only goes so far. the parts make a big difference too.

cplvc
04-14-2008, 09:16 AM
I had no clue Toyota even had a plant in India to begin with.

Last time I was in India (2004) I saw a lot of Toyota's and Lexi on the roads, now I know why. :clap: I'd love to take my 4runner there, lots of unpaved back country roads. We were in a Toyota Qualis through our tour of Northern India.