PDA

View Full Version : Powdercoating - Bumpers and brackets.....

jrallan26
04-15-2008, 11:28 AM
My summer project for the truck is to replace both front and rear bumper and get them powdercoated.

Today the nice ups lady dropped off on my doorstep a stock front and rear bumper (unpainted). I decided to get new bumpers since the originals have been through 6 years of Iowa winters, and they look it....

Next Tuesday I am going to the powdercoaters to see the whole process being done.

Hopefully pics to follow plus a before and after.....

Anyone feel free and pitch in....

YotaFun
04-15-2008, 01:36 PM
I Just took a weekend off, And Rattle caned mine.
I figured I will powder coat my aftermarket bumpers.

Any idea what color your going to go for?

jrallan26
04-15-2008, 01:43 PM
I am going for the same color. Lunarmist I think it is...

YotaFun
04-15-2008, 01:45 PM
Sweet, Shoould Look Good!

callmej75
04-16-2008, 06:29 AM
You can have them powder coated, but I would ask them to put a high gloss clear coat on it to match the gloss of your truck. The problem is color matching to your exact color you want. Usually most powder companies will make a mass quantity of powder at once with your specific color, but you will pay for more powder than you will ever use in a year! They can color match though....just give them the color code off your vehicle and they will come up with something! Don't let them tell you different, because you can email the people at www.tigerdrylac.com and they will let you know what they can and cannot do.

Hope this helps..

Rock Slide
08-25-2008, 01:17 PM
jrallan26, any updates on this? I'd like to see color-matched PC'd bumpers :hillbill:

jrallan26
08-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Sorry been busy... Thanks to Jeremy's advise everything came out real nice. After the set was done the bumpers came out in a real flat finish. Not good at all. After the second attempt they look awesome! The new bumpers along with the truck look just like they came off the assembly line.

Pics to follow.

callmej75
08-25-2008, 06:16 PM
Good deal :thumbup:

jrallan26
08-25-2008, 07:08 PM
Looking back in hindsight I should have just sent the bumpers to Jeremy. The only problem with that would be dealing with the shipping and packaging. I ordered my first set of bumpers online from a company on the left coast, when I recieved them the front bumper looked like a pretzel.

callmej75
08-26-2008, 04:19 AM
Yeh man ya gotta watch out for shipping on stuff....its good that you could got it done locally so if you had any issues with it then you can bring it right in their face besides exchanging words from the net!

Rock Slide
08-26-2008, 12:07 PM
Sorry been busy... Thanks to Jeremy's advise everything came out real nice. After the set was done the bumpers came out in a real flat finish. Not good at all. After the second attempt they look awesome! The new bumpers along with the truck look just like they came off the assembly line.

Pics to follow.

Sux you had to get them done twice...glad you got it fixed though. Looking forward to the pics! :drool:

Rock Slide
04-23-2009, 09:06 AM
jrallan26, you still on here? It's been a year since your original post, but I'd kill to see some pics of the PC'd bumpers! :hillbill: :chair:

slosurfer
04-23-2009, 04:43 PM
If I remember right, his truck was wrecked recently. :( Actually, I think he got a new one, not sure if I've seen pics of it or not.

jrallan26
04-23-2009, 07:00 PM
My stock bumpers were powdercoated lunar mist to match the color of the truck. I got to enjoy the pretty bumpers for 2 weeks exactly. My wife was involved in a accident. Sadly the truck went to the boneyard.....

My new truck, an 04 double cab has chrome bumpers.

As for powdercoating make sure you have the right match, it took me 4 trys before sucess....

Rock Slide
04-24-2009, 06:15 AM
Wow, I had no idea! Real sorry to hear about that.

That's always been my fear though...I just knew as soon as I threw my TJM on the front, I'd have an accident. Fortunately, that has yet to happen.

As of late, I have thought about having my TJM painted to match, instead of PC'ing it. (Similar to what Blake did.) I've got a few mods in the works for my TJM, so hopefully by this summer sometime I can make a decision on PC'ing or Paint. I know though, just as I soon as it's finished, I'll have a wreck....just the way the world turns. :tapedshut:

jrallan26
04-24-2009, 06:31 AM
Thanks. I am always looking for an upside. On the upside, I got a newer truck plus my truck only has 40k miles. The downside is, starting over.

1. Spray on liner
2. Tow package
3. Tires
4. Nothing else I can think of.

Rock Slide
04-24-2009, 01:15 PM
Hey, only 40K miles, plus it's a newer vehicle...that's always a plus in my book. :D

I do admit though, starting over does have its ups and downs...

Obi..
04-24-2009, 05:15 PM
:pics:

BTW. if/when one throws on a TJM, you don't have an accident, you have a fender bender...and it's usually theirs being bent along w/ everything else. You just "buff it out" and move on. ;)