PDA

View Full Version : Bending hard brake/fuel lines

tulsa_sr5
04-16-2008, 09:44 PM
I need to replace the fuel and brake lines that run along the frame rail on my 85, The bends don't look that bad, so to quote top gear, how hard can it be?

Need any advice on where to buy the tubing and bender,

Thanks
Brian

EDIT: actually all advice on the subject is appreciated

Seanz0rz
04-16-2008, 09:53 PM
like the top gear quote, i just finished a 10 season marathon yesterday. every episode ever made of the new series started back in 02?. w00t.

anyway, as for the brake and fuel lines, something like these:

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=10826&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C544%2C545&KickerID=202&KICKER

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=2431&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=545&iSubCat=547&iProductID=2431

this place also sells the flare kits you will probably need.

as for tubing, they also sell it, but i think a place like summit racing or jegs might have some that would be cheaper.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+115+4294924496&NeXID=4

muscle car tv show on spike did a how to on this kinda thing, and i found it very informative. but i cant find the video on their page.

tulsa_sr5
04-17-2008, 05:25 AM
That's exactly what I needed, thanks! Have you ever "made" your own lines? wondering if filling them with sand is needed to prevent flat bends, or if it really is something best left to the pros.

4runnerchevy
04-17-2008, 05:36 AM
:headscratch: Do not fill your lines with sand to keep the bends from flattening. Use a bender that is made for the tube size. Remember to use a Double Flare tool on brake lines. If this is your first time, then buy alot of extra line. I did my fuel lines from aluminum tube, cause you can form it by hand. I used -AN fittings and adapters for the ends. This got from Summit.

tulsa_sr5
04-17-2008, 07:09 AM
:headscratch: Do not fill your lines with sand to keep the bends from flattening. Use a bender that is made for the tube size. Remember to use a Double Flare tool on brake lines. If this is your first time, then buy alot of extra line. I did my fuel lines from aluminum tube, cause you can form it by hand. I used -AN fittings and adapters for the ends. This got from Summit.

thanks, good to hear. Not sure where i heard that tip about sand, or what kind of tubing they were talking about using it for. I always forget about summit, looks like they have everything i need.

MTL_4runner
04-17-2008, 08:35 AM

X2

Do not use sand in the lines, bad idea......proper bender will save you alot of headache.
Also aluminum line is fine for fuel but never use it for brake lines because it fatigues.

Here's a pretty good link on bending lines and the tools involved:
http://www.cadvision.com/blanchas/54pontiac/brakelines.html

4runnerchevy
04-18-2008, 05:57 AM
Sometimes sand is used to make tight bends in bigger tube (DOM), with certain benders. For roll cages and such. x2 on aluminum for FUEL ONLY, sorry I left that out. Aluminum will expand with the pressure of brakes.

tulsa_sr5
04-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Thanks everyone, i may have found a clean set off a totalled 86 so can avoid this pain for a bit. I am probably going to look at bending replacement hard lines for the rear heater, since they were just about dust when I took them off. Does anyone know for sure what those need to be? I'm guessing steel was stock since they rusted so completely.

MTL_4runner
04-18-2008, 05:58 PM
Thanks everyone, i may have found a clean set off a totalled 86 so can avoid this pain for a bit. I am probably going to look at bending replacement hard lines for the rear heater, since they were just about dust when I took them off. Does anyone know for sure what those need to be? I'm guessing steel was stock since they rusted so completely.

For longevity you can run aluminum tubing for the heater lines since they won't have more than 15 psi in there max via the cooling system.