PDA

View Full Version : Adding a new Toy work vehicle to the herd!

slosurfer
04-19-2008, 11:01 AM
Some of you may have noticed that I haven't been as active on here the past couple of weeks. Well, on top of the normal stuff (busy at work, 2 kids, inlaws in town, etc..), I have been on the hunt for a new work vehicle. So, I have been searching nightly (crazedlist.org rocks!), and I have been learning as much as a could about this vehicle on another forum.

The reason for another vehicle, gas prices are killing me and really mess with my cash flow between paychecks. My F250 gets 8mpg, so I have resorted to using my 4runner as much as I could. This involves a bunch of moving tools around, figuring out which vehicle to use etc... On top of that, my 4runner gets 13.5mpg around town with a little freeway driving. On top of the hassle of moving tools around, not enough room, still not good mileage, I hate that I have started piling on the miles on the 4runner. I've really started kicking myself for getting rid of my mazda b2300 when we got the tacoma. It got 20+ mpg, could haul a bunch of tools, the only downside was not being able to lock the tools up.

I started just cruising the local craigslist for an old 2wd toyota 4cyl longbed, and thought about adding a shell to it. I also couldn't afford to spend much money. Anyways, I rediscovered the toyota vans from 85-89, they also came in a cargo conversion. On top of that, from 87-89 they were offered in 4wd. The manual transmission 4wd has the 4hi and 4lo and the transfercase is pretty much identical to the 4cyl trucks of that era. The front ends are set up very similar to the 86-95 IFS trucks/4runners. They get 20+ mpg even when loaded, and with the rear seats removed, have a payload of close to 2,000lbs! I learned all this when I missed out on what I found out was an uber rare 87 4wd Cargo van w/ manual tranny and manual hubs! Another cool tidbit of info, many of these came with the retarded automatic hubs, but the manual hubs from a truck or 4runner will bolt right on and you just need to get the big washers and nuts like when you swap them out on a truck! So the search was on....

I have put a deposit on a 89 4wd manual tranny van in CO, I now only need to fly to CO and pick it up. I should say that the 4wd's are hard to come by and the 4wd manual tranny ones are even harder to find. Anyways, enough talking, on to the pics.

Oh and her name is "Vanna" and has been through two owners, so I figured I'll keep the name. ;)

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Vanna/vanna7.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Vanna/vanna9.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Vanna/vanna8.jpg

The good:
New tires, alignment, windshield in Jan.
New fuel injectors last year
Bike racks
Some kind of metal lock box in the rear
Only 203,000miles (I say only because of how many you see on these things)
They seem to have been on top of the regular maintenance
I get to fly to CO and roadtrip solo home :D

The bad:
Some rust on the right rear wheelwell (claims that it hasn't gotten worse over the 5years they have had it) I may have to take a trip to Bob the Rustman to take care of it and then herculine the rocker panels and wheelwells.

Has the automatic hubs, but I know where to look for manual hubs and will switch them out. (They have never had problems with them, but I don't trust them)

A radiator light that comes and goes due to a stuck float in the reservoir (pushing on the float makes it go away)

Brake light comes and goes but everything works well (I'm willing to bet that it is at the Min mark on fluid and when sloshing around triggers the light)

April is jealous that I get to fly to CO and solo roadtrip home! (I owe her a trip once Adelaide is no longer breastfeeding) She rocks!

slosurfer
04-19-2008, 11:06 AM
Here's a pic of the rust (Bob, you're going to be my new best friend :D)

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Vanna/vanna2.jpg

Also, I may need some help from a UY member in the Denver/CO Springs area. I was supposed to fly out next Friday and our friends in CastleRock were going to pick me up and take me to get the van in CO Springs. Unfortunately, they forgot that they have a "Hut" trip that weekend that is already paid for. I haven't made plans yet, so I may be able to do the same thing but do it midweek after that. Anyways, if you are in CO and don't have plans next Fri/Sat, shoot me a PM.

neliconcept
04-19-2008, 04:17 PM
ill let some of the guys know to see if they could.

slosurfer
04-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Thanks Blake! There is a chance that the owner of the van will be able to pick me up, so that would be even better. I'll keep ya posted.

Bob98SR5
04-19-2008, 05:24 PM
chris,

i owe you for your help on the pismo ticket, so i'd be more than happy to pay you back and help you out! it would be cool too to see my friend kaigo who lives in pismo as well as they just had a baby.

my assessment based on my experience is that there will probably be floor panel damage too on that vehicle and on the inner wheel well. the good thing though, if there is such a good thing with rust repair, is that there is a natural seam there that could be the cut line (about a 1/2" below it actually) for the sheet metal replacement. that way, when we weld, bondo, paint, etc it all up, it will be a much cleaner looking job than if it were in the middle of a panel.

now if you want to really be sure, i'd ask the owners to remove the seats in the back and lift up the carpet to see if any holes have breached the floor. if it has cut/eaten away structural center supports or especially through suspension supports that hold the axle, that is a dicey repair for me. having been through rust repair, it will add some $$$ to your purchase. i would definitely bargain down at minimum $1,000 to pay for the supplies and repairs. you can borrow my 120V welder, but again, i'll have to show you the ropes one weeekend.

chris, read my blog so you get an idea of what rust repair is like. yours wont be exactly like mine, but the process will be similar. like i said, take care of me on the weekend and I'll do as much as I can and pass on the knowledge and loan you my power tools to help you complete the job.

bob

Bob98SR5
04-19-2008, 05:28 PM
oh, and since you're using this for your work truck, let's build a killer storage system too :D

slosurfer
04-19-2008, 06:05 PM
oh, and since you're using this for your work truck, let's build a killer storage system too :D

Bob, you rock! I'll check your blog out. First I need to get this sucker out here. I probably will not be able to knock $1,000 off it since that is more than half what I'll pay for it, but that will definately give me some juice to work with once I'm there.

A storage system will be nice! I was also thinking of pulling the rear carpet out and herculining it along with the rocker panels once I get the wheelwell fixed.

I'll probably have April drive it to the Pismo 4rj, as the rear seats fold back to make a twinsize bed. It can easily be made to a queensize bed with some boxes/crates.

Good Times
04-19-2008, 06:12 PM
awesome find man!!! sounds like it's time to get together and really fix up that bad boy and making into a new adventure vehicle! :D

the rust doesn't look promising though but I think after some tlc you'll be in good shape. if ya need a hand, just let me know! i'm gonna have to meet up with you soon anyway so it might be a great time to kill multiple projects at the sametime!

slosurfer
04-19-2008, 06:53 PM
awesome find man!!! sounds like it's time to get together and really fix up that bad boy and making into a new adventure vehicle! :D

the rust doesn't look promising though but I think after some tlc you'll be in good shape. if ya need a hand, just let me know! i'm gonna have to meet up with you soon anyway so it might be a great time to kill multiple projects at the sametime!

One way, would be to trim the rust out to fit 33's :hillbill:

Speaking of projects, since this is a work vehicle, this is going to need some diecut vinyl stickers with my logo/info for the side rear windows and the rear window. :)

reggie 00
04-19-2008, 09:23 PM
Chris,

Do you have your plane ticket yet?

Hopefully not.

Give me a pm i got a chunk of miles on Alaska and it would be no big deal to get you a ticket to Denver.

Just not sure which airport you would leave out of.

slosurfer
04-19-2008, 09:33 PM
DOH!!!!!! I just got my ticket a couple hours ago and I didn't spring for the traveler's insurance. :chair: I don't think I can get out of it.

Thank you very much for the generous offer. You rock! :thumbup:

paddlenbike
04-19-2008, 10:08 PM
That should make a great work truck Chris. I have seen photos of those on some pretty difficult 4x4 trails. Aren't they powered by the 22R-E?

reggie 00
04-19-2008, 10:26 PM
No problem.

Does it have the mini cooler in it?

I have a couple of these in the J yard. I had a crazy idea i was going to swap in the cooler.
That was until i realized that it gets cool cause it is using the AC to cool stuff.

I think the thing will be a pretty cool rig. It should have many uses after the work time use.

GSU 4Runner
04-19-2008, 10:48 PM
looks awesome, and apparently it's a rare one! I would hold off on the manual hubs until the rust is fixed. No reason to do that, manual hubs are only a slight difference in mpg anyway. Unless you need them for something else.

slosurfer
04-19-2008, 11:18 PM
That should make a great work truck Chris. I have seen photos of those on some pretty difficult 4x4 trails. Aren't they powered by the 22R-E?

They are actually powered by the 2.2 L (2237 cc) 4Y-EC I believe that it is actually a Toyota forklift engine which puts out a whopping 100hp.

slosurfer
04-19-2008, 11:23 PM
looks awesome, and apparently it's a rare one! I would hold off on the manual hubs until the rust is fixed. No reason to do that, manual hubs are only a slight difference in mpg anyway. Unless you need them for something else.

The reason isn't for mpg as they are the automatic hubs (not ADD like our 4runner's have), they can be finnicky to engage and disengage, especially if you don't have them locked in before you get stuck. Also, you can't shift into 4hi on the fly with automatic hubs. I'm not too worried about them at the moment but we will see how it does out at the dunes. Shift on the fly is very nice to have at the dunes.

Reggie, I don't think this one has the ice maker.

slosurfer
04-20-2008, 09:00 AM
Here are a couple vids of one on a trail:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_iLZDvH9Ihk&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=E4skJ763zjM&feature=related

Here's one doing a burnout:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qEEPyDunXhA

reggie 00
04-20-2008, 09:41 AM
So Cal Crew and Chris's new Van:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=BSakXjm6XFM&feature=related

slosurfer
04-20-2008, 10:02 AM
:lol: :lol: I couldn't even watch that whole thing. :flipoff:

Those Hiace's are cool, but not sold in the US. That would make a bitchin' work vehicle.

Bob98SR5
04-20-2008, 10:15 AM
Here are a couple vids of one on a trail:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_iLZDvH9Ihk&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=E4skJ763zjM&feature=related

Here's one doing a burnout:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qEEPyDunXhA

Ok Chris, if you have plans to take this beotch out on some rocky trails, i'm going to ask you to do it before I do any welding repairs! :hillbill:

slosurfer
04-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Ok Chris, if you have plans to take this beotch out on some rocky trails, i'm going to ask you to do it before I do any welding repairs! :hillbill:

Hehe, I don't have any plans to do that anytime soon. It is just going to be fun/functional work vehicle w/ some weekend warrior stuff like the dunes or camping. I do need to build a rear bumper for it with an integrated hitch so that I can tow my M416. That should get some second looks while driving down the road. :D

Bob98SR5
04-20-2008, 11:16 AM
So what do you have planned for the graphics on the side? The reason I ask is that we will have to do some painting on the side after the rust repair. If for example, you paint the van a two tone scheme with a graphic stripe that covers the point where the two colors meet, that would be bitchen because then we wouldn't have to worry so much about how neat we are with the painting.

slosurfer
04-20-2008, 11:24 AM
Bob, I'll go play with photoshop for a little bit and see what I come up with.

Bob98SR5
04-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Chris,

this is the concept i'm talking about (attached)

bob

slosurfer
04-20-2008, 02:16 PM
Bob, I was planning on herculiner (or similar) up to the top of your white stripe. So we shouldn't have too much to worry about with the painting. Tape it off really well above that line, prep, :drink: , and try not to get any herculiner on your hootus. :hillbill:

Bob98SR5
04-20-2008, 02:23 PM
Bob, I was planning on herculiner (or similar) up to the top of your white stripe. So we shouldn't have too much to worry about with the painting. Tape it off really well above that line, prep, :drink: , and try not to get any herculiner on your hootus. :hillbill:

Chris,

Isn't herculiner grainy in touch/appearance? If yes, you probably know that that will make applying the graphic highly dependent upon a very tight and perfect paint line. Is there anything else that is just as tough but smooth and paintable?

Bob98SR5
04-20-2008, 02:37 PM
oh hey chris, if you can get a compressor and a die grinder and a ton of cutting discs, that would be ideal. cutting with a grinder is a pain in the butt. some areas you will need a smaller tool (like dremel size) too

slosurfer
04-20-2008, 02:48 PM
I've seen many who have done it on 4runners, 80's, tacomas, etc... One of the tricks is using a natural line or bend in the vehicle's body contours. That is why I was saying at the top of where you put that white stripe, because that is on an angle that returns to a flat panel and makes a natural break.

I am planning on doing this to the 4runner soon, I need to do it soon as I need to get my sliders put on. I'm not sure which brand I will use, but I will probably use one that you can use a roller/paintbrush. I think I know where to find a good pic of some on a 4runner, I'll see if I can find it.

Oh, by "graphic", are you referring to the business lettering? I will probably do vinyl cut stickers on the windows or that winperf stuff that will have the logo but you can still see through it. I can't find it right now, but they use it all the time in full vehicle wraps.

slosurfer
04-20-2008, 02:54 PM
oh hey chris, if you can get a compressor and a die grinder and a ton of cutting discs, that would be ideal. cutting with a grinder is a pain in the butt. some areas you will need a smaller tool (like dremel size) too

I've got a dremel and grinder (actually 2). I think my work compressor is too small, but I think I can borrow my dad's from his shop. I'll should pick up a die grinder anyways, so I'll be on the lookout for one.

slosurfer
04-20-2008, 03:03 PM
Here's aquick one I found about herculiner on an 80 series
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6052&page=9&highlight=military+tires

Bob98SR5
04-20-2008, 03:50 PM
ok, well hell then, if beauty ain't no concern, i can really do a crappy welding job now :hillbill: j/k. looks like a workable solution then. just dont bring up up 1/5 way up the door like the LC80 guy did please!

oh, when i meant graphic, i meant the white stripe. as far as the side lettering goes, youre better off finding a printing/graphics shop to do that for you. I believe David (my friend who has the 80s LC) might konw of a good place to do that

slosurfer
04-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Hehe, I know what you mean, he should have had it a few inches lower and used the line in the body as a break (not a few inches above it) :shake:

We'll see how it all looks once I get it home. I'll probably herculine the 4runner first. Lettering will be aways down the road.

Seanz0rz
04-20-2008, 04:43 PM
thats an awesome vehicle. theres one here at school, 4x4, lifted on 32's. very cool hahahaha.

mid engine too, you could so race that thing, as my link in the racing a scion thread demonstrated.

DHC6twinotter
04-20-2008, 05:28 PM
Nice van! I never knew they made those available with 4wd. It would be a hoot to take one of those wheeling!

My parents used to have a '78 HiAce back when we lived in the Philippines. That van was a work horse! It was a stripped down model with a 4spd and a 1.6L 4banger (IIRC). They would haul over 2000 lbs of equipment over the mountains, and not once had any trouble. Every now and then, they tell me about the time they had to load their loaded down van onto a ferry. The guys driving the van onto the ferry used planks that were about 14" wide and nearly 20' long. My mom always mentions how scared she was when they would drive mid way out on the planks and watching them sag to nearly the point of breaking with nothing but ocean underneath. lol...I miss that van. It was similar to this one, but it was cream color and had steelies:

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3415/pic1cd5.jpg

slosurfer
04-20-2008, 05:41 PM
Daniel, those vans are definately cool, I wish they were available here.

The cool thing is that the suspension is so similar to my 4runner. It has tbars up front and coils in the rear with the four link and a panhard bar.

Bob, here is a photo album of a van with exactly what I want to do regarding the liner.
tectonic_shift's Gallery (http://toyotavans.net:81/gallery/index.php?cat=10054)

DHC6twinotter
04-20-2008, 05:54 PM
These are unibody right? I'm curious how the front end is setup. With it being mid-engined and 4wd, is the front diff mounted in front of the engine with the driveshaft running along side the block?

Good Times
04-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Chris talk to Tanto (Ryan in SD). He did what you're thinking about on his white LT tacoma.

looks like this is more of another "project vehicle" rather than a "work vehicle" ;)

slosurfer
04-20-2008, 06:12 PM
Chris talk to Tanto (Ryan in SD). He did what you're thinking about on his white LT tacoma.

looks like this is more of another "project vehicle" rather than a "work vehicle" ;)

I've seen his and talked to him about it before along with others. The ones who didn't do good prep work seem to think it doesn't hold up. Also, many don't add the UV protectant which is important if you use black and want it to stay black.

Ssshhhhh.... don't call it a "project vehicle", April will kill me. :) I'm just talking about what I'll do with the leftover liner from the 4runner, hehe ;). Actually I do want to take the rear carpet out and put liner back there as long as there aren't too many wires running under the carpet.

Good Times
04-20-2008, 06:18 PM
hehe we'll just call it "project DD/Work Truck" :D

slosurfer
04-20-2008, 06:21 PM
hehe we'll just call it "project DD/Work Truck" :D

hehe, good call! Anything I do to her has to be work related or maintenance related. If that doesn't work we can always claim that it is for "safety". :hillbill:

Apparently the first owner called her "vanna grey" (as opposed to vanna white), and the last owners just called her "vanna", so I guess I'll stick with that name. Vanna the Tile Van!

slosurfer
04-20-2008, 08:34 PM
ill let some of the guys know to see if they could.

The owner will be picking me up Sat. morning, so I shouldn't need any rides. Although, if someone wants to hang out at 1:46am in the morning when I arrive in CO Springs, then by all means. :D

reggie 00
04-20-2008, 08:39 PM
I did the liner on the 4runner.

http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=1573.0

Bob98SR5
04-20-2008, 08:43 PM
I've seen his and talked to him about it before along with others. The ones who didn't do good prep work seem to think it doesn't hold up. Also, many don't add the UV protectant which is important if you use black and want it to stay black.

Ssshhhhh.... don't call it a "project vehicle", April will kill me. :) I'm just talking about what I'll do with the leftover liner from the 4runner, hehe ;). Actually I do want to take the rear carpet out and put liner back there as long as there aren't too many wires running under the carpet.

Yup, prep work is everything. I'm sure there are areas where I skimped on the prep work due to tight areas and it will probably flake or fall off in a few years.

The wires probably run under the door sill covers.

slosurfer
04-20-2008, 09:33 PM
These are unibody right? I'm curious how the front end is setup. With it being mid-engined and 4wd, is the front diff mounted in front of the engine with the driveshaft running along side the block?

Yes, they are unibody, so no body lift for me. The front end is set up very similar to our 4runners, with upper and lower a-arms and torsion bars. The front diff looks very similar but smaller and is a driver's side drop. I can't seem to find any good pics of how the front driveshaft runs. I just know that it goes along the driver's side. If I find a pic I'll post it.

The rear axle looks like ours but uses the same 7.5" ring gear that our front diff uses. I will be measuring to see how easy it would be to swap a 4runner axle under there. If anything, just for shiite and giggles.

reggie 00
04-21-2008, 08:56 PM

Yes, they are unibody, so no body lift for me. The front end is set up very similar to our 4runners, with upper and lower a-arms and torsion bars. The front diff looks very similar but smaller and is a driver's side drop. I can't seem to find any good pics of how the front driveshaft runs. I just know that it goes along the driver's side. If I find a pic I'll post it.

The rear axle looks like ours but uses the same 7.5" ring gear that our front diff uses. I will be measuring to see how easy it would be to swap a 4runner axle under there. If anything, just for shiite and giggles.

If its a 7.5, go grab a limited slip out of a supra.
Have 3 or 4 of then up here. Got mine for $35. Think i spent maybe $50 for the bearings @ Toyota.

Seanz0rz
04-21-2008, 09:35 PM
so you going to go jump it at pismo this year?

slosurfer
04-22-2008, 11:03 PM
so you going to go jump it at pismo this year?

Hehe, only if the video is running! It would make a great youtube vid clip.

Well, who knew that it was going to be such a pain to buy a van in CO?!!! I booked my flight for a Sat. before I realized that in CO, they keep the tags/plates when selling a vehicle and I have to go get CO temporary tags just to get it home. :roll: Even the DMV in CA thought that was weird that I couldn't just buy it and drive it home. On top of that, I have to show proof of insurance on the van in order to get temporary tags. I think I can do this by calling my insurance agent with the van info and they can fax it or something. :? So now I have to wait around CO till Monday to buy the van and drive it home. :screwy:

In CA, the plates stay on the vehicle (unless you want to keep them, and then the seller goes and gets new plates put on it prior to selling), then the buyer has 10 days to transfer everything to their name. It's 20 days if you bought the vehicle out of state.

I'm really going to owe my wife big time, now that I'm going to be gone an extra 2 days, with her at home with the 2 little ones. :(

Good Times
04-22-2008, 11:23 PM
Chris, do you have AAA? If so you might be able to contact CO's AAA to see if they can issue you a temp tag so you don't have to stick around until Monday. I know AAA offers DMV services but not sure to what extent so find out. of course the office has to be open on Saturday but it's a shot.

Bob98SR5
04-22-2008, 11:37 PM
chris,

when i bought my used mercedes, it was the same thing. the seller had to buy temp tags too. why cant the seller do the same for you?

slosurfer
04-23-2008, 12:03 AM
chris,

when i bought my used mercedes, it was the same thing. the seller had to buy temp tags too. why cant the seller do the same for you?

In order for her to do that or my friend in CO, there was a list of stuff that was needed and one of them was a notarized power of attorney, receipt of sale, secure and verifiable identification, and proof of insurance (and it has to be ins. for the van) All mailed to get there before Friday when the DMV closes. That would be cutting it close to get that all done, considering I have no time to do that in order to get my job done by Friday so I can go.

Lance, I do have AAA, and I'll have April call them tomorrow.

At this point we're turning lemons into lemonaide, with a whole lot of help from friends and an awesome understanding wife. My friends in CO who are leaving Friday for the hut trip, are going to leave one of their vehicles for me. When I arrive, early Sat. morning (2am), I'll drive up to the trailhead and snowshoe into the cabin their group is staying at. I'll stay Sat. night and then hike out with them Sun. I'll stay Sun. night with them and then Mon. I'll deal with the van. Then gather some supplies for a mini roadtrip home. :smokin:

So, this may actually end up being a pretty cool trip. I'm excited to get my snowshoes out again. I've only used them once, since I worked at June Mtn. and did a ton of backcountry boarding. I'm definately going to owe April since that is an extra 2 days that she is on her own with the 2 kids. I'm a lucky man!

slosurfer
04-23-2008, 07:54 AM
Here's a link for those that don't know what a hut trip is:
http://huts.org/

slosurfer
05-01-2008, 07:22 AM
I've got the pics uploaded and I'll get a report up later today, as I crashed hard last night early. Here's a teaser: I left CO Springs at 3pm on Monday and got home Tuesday at 11:30pm with stops at Bryce Cyn, Zion NP, and Mojave National Preserve. Fun times! :D

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Vanna/Trip%20Home/IMG_7403.jpg

Seanz0rz
05-01-2008, 01:14 PM
thats the sweetest picture EVER!!!!! hahahahahahahahaha. awesome!

that has to be the first time that vehicle has seen a pile of rocks in the middle of soda lake.

RobG
05-01-2008, 01:30 PM
Nice vehicle Chris, I didn't even know those came in 4wd.

Did you drive through soda dry lake or come in from the west?

Are you keeping track of your mpg for the trip?

cabbage
05-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Wow! Nice van! Dont forget about me!! I have a TIG welder too. Oh, and have manual hubs for u! Buddies and I might go camping this weekend in Pismo, if you want, I can bring the hubs, scanner ... whatever u need!

Man I need to get on here more!!

slosurfer
05-01-2008, 04:59 PM
thats the sweetest picture EVER!!!!! hahahahahahahahaha. awesome!

that has to be the first time that vehicle has seen a pile of rocks in the middle of soda lake.

Haha, I'm glad you like it! I was cracking myself up driving through there.

Nice vehicle Chris, I didn't even know those came in 4wd.

Did you drive through soda dry lake or come in from the west?

Are you keeping track of your mpg for the trip?

Thanks Rob, the 4wd 5spd. is hard to find, hence the trip to CO. The 4wd auto is easier to find but it only has 4hi. I almost got stuck in some sand to the point of airing down, but I was able to make it out with 4lo.

I entered from Kelbaker Rd. (I already had this planned and had my map with me :D ) cut over to the beginning of the lake, drove across, and then went back to the 15 by way of the road that goes into Razor OHV Park.

I got 23.2mpg for the trip. Not bad considering I skipped much of the interstate driving on the 15 and 70. Also, I fought a crazy headwind/crosswind from St. George, UT to Tehachapi, CA. My high for the trip was 27.1mpg and the low was 18.92mpg

Milton! Nice to see ya on here! I'll send you a pm about the hubs, etc... I'll totally go out to the dunes on Sat. It will be funny to see how it does out there with it all aired down, maybe get some vid of it tearing it up.

DHC6twinotter
05-01-2008, 06:14 PM
Chris man, you're making me want to buy one of these and turn it into a mild wheeler. It would be great to see the expression on the jeep guys' faces when they see me go up slickrock in one. :D

slosurfer
05-01-2008, 09:45 PM
Chris man, you're making me want to buy one of these and turn it into a mild wheeler. It would be great to see the expression on the jeep guys' faces when they see me go up slickrock in one. :D

Hehe, make sure you get a 5spd so you get the 4lo. It was a blast driving it on some little trails. :smokin:

slosurfer
05-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Well, as some of you may have known, I bought an 89 4wd 5spd off of craigslist in CO. I booked my ticket without checking to see what needed to be done with the CO DMV thinking that it was similar to the CA DMV. I found out that I needed to get temporary tags just to get it out of the state as the plates stay with the owner. It was too late to do much about it and changing the plane ticket was going to be rediculously expensive, so I was just going to have to stay in CO till monday and get the van then. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal as I have some really good friends who live near CO Springs, but they were going to be on a hut trip that weekend (snowshoe to a cabin and hang) and were leaving Friday morning. They offered me to stay at their house for the weekend, but how fun would that be with no one around. So it was on to plan C, my friends left one of their vehicles for me at the airport and I would head up to the trailhead when I got in and snowshoe into the cabin on my own and meet them there. Then I would hike out with their group the next day and then on monday they would take me to get the van. It was going to be a tight schedule but it was better than sitting doing nothing.

I left San Luis Obispo, CA at 5pm on Friday and I arrived at the CO Springs airport at 2am on Saturday morning (got 1hr of sleep on the plane :( ). Got in the car and drove up highway 24 to a little past Leadville, CO I got to the trailhead about an hour before first light, still wearing shorts and tshirt. By time I got changed, my pack all put together, snowshoes on, and gps on, there was plenty of light to start the hike in. For those that are interested, I started at Crane Park Trailhead and was going to the 10th Mtn. Cabin. The hike kicked my butt, but I made it in under 4hrs. while I learned that the other group was 5-6hrs. on the way in. I arrived at the cabin around 11am on Sat., hung out, had some drinks, and raced snowshovels down the hill. :lol: The next morning we left at 10am and were back at the car by noon (going downhill is so much easier). Then we went back to my friends house for movies and pizza and we all crashed real early.

Starting out with a little snow falling:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/CO%20Hut%20Trip%20Apr%2008/IMG_7298.jpg

The cabin:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/CO%20Hut%20Trip%20Apr%2008/IMG_7303.jpg

The hike out, couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day!
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/CO%20Hut%20Trip%20Apr%2008/IMG_7327.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/CO%20Hut%20Trip%20Apr%2008/IMG_7324.jpg

The hike was almost 5miles with the majority of the elevation change in the last half in. There are more pics here in the Hut Trip Album (http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/CO%20Hut%20Trip%20Apr%2008/)

Next was phase two of the trip:

slosurfer
05-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Phase two: Buy the van and drive her home!

Monday morning, Jen drove me to meet the owners, test drive, buy it, DMV, and then return to pick up the van. DMV was quite a long wait, but I was pleasantly surprised that it was less than $7 for the temp. tags. After lunch, Jen dropped me back off at the van and we said our goodbyes. I hit a grocery store for supplies, an auto parts store for fluids, fuses, etc..., and topped vanna off with a splash of gas. By this time it was 3pm on Monday, with a quick call to my wife, I was off, heading back up highway 24 toward Interstate 70. This was a beautiful drive and I was glad to get to drive it during daylight as I had just driven it in the middle of the night two days before.

Somewhere on the 24:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Vanna/Trip%20Home/IMG_7336.jpg

Tennessee Pass (Continental Divide):
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Vanna/Trip%20Home/IMG_7340.jpg

I got to I 70 and started the long trek towards I 15. I made it to Richfield, UT which is off the 70 a little ways before it hits the 15, at about 12:30am Tuesday morning. I found a walmart to park and crash for a few hours along with about 7 other RV's of various sizes.

One of the tunnels on I 70:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Vanna/Trip%20Home/IMG_7344.jpg

By 4:30am Tuesday, I was back on the road again, heading south on highway 89 towards Bryce Cyn National Park. I entered the park around 7am which was perfect since I had forgotten to take my National Park Pass with me for the trip. No one was at the kiosk that early so I drove in snapped some pics and drove out. I decided to get Vanna dirty and test the 4wd on some National Forest roads in the Red Cyn area which was on the way back to the 89 from Bryce Cyn. Vanna passed the test although dust sneaks in from every nook and cranny in the back!

Red Cyn.
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Vanna/Trip%20Home/IMG_7351.jpg

Bryce Cyn.
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Vanna/Trip%20Home/IMG_7356.jpg

A little dirt (nothing major)
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Vanna/Trip%20Home/IMG_7369.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Vanna/Trip%20Home/IMG_7366.jpg

slosurfer
05-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Back on the 89, I headed south to the 9 and headed west towards I 15. This would take me right through Zion NP. I got very lucky, with explaining what I was doing and that I had forgot my pass, the dude at the kiosk let me through without paying the $25 as long as I promised not to stop. I took a ton of pics through here and all were taken while moving. :lol: I ended up stopping after the other end of the park to get souveniers for the kids. I can't wait to go back there, make sure to check out the album, as there are more pics there.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Vanna/Trip%20Home/IMG_7375.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Vanna/Trip%20Home/IMG_7388.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Vanna/Trip%20Home/IMG_7395.jpg

From there, I headed out to the 15 at St. George, UT . This part of the trip was HOT all the way to Baker, CA and I ended up having to run the heater in Vanna to make sure she didn't reach the red. She never did, but I was not in the mood to break down. There also was a crazy crosswind I was fighting the whole time, my lifted 4runner isn't nearly as bad as the van is in a crosswind, I was white knuckle for parts of it. The part from Vegas to Barstow, I was able to just turn the heater on for the grades, which was nice. At Baker, it was time for my final detour and this one I had planned all along. The Mojave National Preserve butts right up to the 15 at this point and The Mojave Road (120+ mile offroad trail through the preserve) comes really close to Baker here to cross Soda Lake. I would never suggest to do any of the mojave road solo, but I was fully prepared for this and have done the whole road twice in the last 6 months in my 4runner. I had maps, gps routes, water, gas, food for days, all this was within a couple miles of the 15, and I knew from my last trip that I had cell service in this section. I have plenty of friends in the LA area that would have loved to drive out and save my butt had I gotten stuck. Anyways, I cut over to the trail for the crossing of Soda Lake with the customary dropping a rock at the rock pile, and then took the road from Razor OHV back out to the 15.

Skirting Soda Lake to get to the trail:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Vanna/Trip%20Home/IMG_7399.jpg

Crossing the lake on the Mojave Trail:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Vanna/Trip%20Home/IMG_7402.jpg

The rock pile (you must bring a rock to deposit at the pile halfway across the lake for good luck, there is also a plaque in the middle that you can only read if you go there):
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Vanna/Trip%20Home/IMG_7404.jpg

Last part of Soda Lake:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Vanna/Trip%20Home/IMG_7405.jpg

From there it was pretty uneventful (other than wind from Mojave to Tehachapi) for the rest of the trip which was 58 towards Bakersfield, 223 through Arvin, Old River Rd. to 166, 166 to the 101 in Santa Maria, and then 101N to SLO and then Los Osos. I got home at 11:30pm Tuesday 32.5 hrs. after leaving CO. I averaged 23.2 mpg on the trip with the best being over 27 and the worst being 18.9 I had a blast and am still super tired, but the van did great through one hell of a test drive. There are more pics in my Trip Album (http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Vanna/Trip%20Home/?start=all)

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Vanna/Trip%20Home/IMG_7408.jpg

Bob98SR5
05-01-2008, 09:54 PM
chris,

damn man, you sure got a lot of energy! great pics. can't wait to cut it up.

so now that you've had it for a few days, hows the rust damage?

bob

slosurfer
05-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Bob the rust is worse than I thought, but it does seem to have pretty much stayed to the outer part of the wheel wells and not up into the interior. I really haven't had much time to look as I have been trying to track down a high idle problem on it. We really don't have to worry about paint as it is in need of paint all over. At least it is silverish and not as apparent as another color. I'm still thinking a liner on the lower portion and then some kind of rattle can finish for the rest. Who knows flat black, urban camo, flat tan, I'll have to play with photoshop for that. By the time it's done, it should be a very unique work vehicle and should help get my name out more. You know, "Are you the tile guy that drives the 4wd Toy Van?" :D

Time to start reading BiodieselBob's Blog. :) First I have to make sure this beatch passes smog. :roll:

Bob98SR5
05-01-2008, 10:21 PM
chris,

when you get a chance, take some closeups of the rust and post them here or on your photo site. 1024 wide pics would be great

from what you described, it sounds like the rust started at the seams like mine did in a few places. usually one side is good enough, so you cut off the other side, cup brush off as much rust as possible, convert/treat, and then weld a new patch in.

slosurfer
05-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Will do! I should have some time this weekend to really crawl around and get some pics.

slosurfer
05-03-2008, 05:01 PM
My son loves this van. I think he likes how well he can see from his carseat, that he can crawl all around the rear without dad getting pissed, he can get in and out on his own, and it's new to him. He cracks me up!

I thought I would post some pics of the "locking cage" that came with the van. The owner's husband was a metal worker and he made a cage that connects with turnbuckles to where the 3rd seat attaches. Before their son, they then had a wood platform in front of that where the 2nd seat sits, then they had a futon mattress on top of it all.

They no longer had the wood platform, but the cage came with the van as it's custom made and won't fit anything else. He didn't make it with useing the 2nd seat in mind, he said he just got lucky that the 2nd seat fits with the cage. This should come in handy since I am using this as a work vehicle. My handtools, air tools, drills, etc.. can go inside and buckets/saws etc... on top. It is plenty strong as I already had 8 bags of thinset (400lbs.) stacked on the forward half of it.

From the rear:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Vanna/IMG_7411.jpg

Front:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Vanna/IMG_7410.jpg

Open:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Vanna/IMG_7412.jpg

I still need to figure out my idle issues. It is much more jumpier than I thought. First start up, it idles at 1500, drive for awhile and when I go to shut it down, still 1500-1700. Go inside for a little bit, come back out and start it and it idles at about 800, drive it a little bit and it is back to 1500-1700 again. I traced all the vaccuum lines and they seem to be hooked up correctly, I guess next will be to search for a leak. I was also wondering about the TPS, could that have anything to do with this. The idle is smooth at all times and the van seems to be running great.

I also think that the fan clutch may be worn out. I need to test that, but I don't notice that big whirr from the fan. Could explain some of the heat issues on the trip home. I also think the radiator cap is the original so that will get replaced.

Bob, I'll get you pics soon. :D

slosurfer
06-08-2008, 05:21 PM
The local 4wd club that I'm in (SLO 4Wheelers) was having a workday at one of the trails that we have adopted, and I decided to take the van. It is Garcia Ridge and is between Arroyo Grande, CA and Pozo, CA (Home of the Pozo Saloon). (http://www.pozosaloon.com/pozoinfo.html) Some of you went on the same trail with me at the end of Pismo 4RJ '07.

The van did surprisingly well, and was a big hit with the rest of the group. The majority had never even heard of the 4wd Toyota van, let alone, one with a 2spd transfer case. It is much different driving this trail in the van compared to driving it in my 4runner on 33's, it will be nice to get a little lift and some slightly larger tires. That being said, I think I did pretty good in limiting the number of hits to the bottom of the van. For the most part the trail is a medium trail with some hard/medium long, rocky, rutted, loose, steep climbs. If you have 4wd and a rear locker the trail is pretty easy, if you have 4wd and open then it is tougher, especially if you don't have much suspension flex. I've seen lifted jeeps take straps to get up some hills, same with built locked 2wd rigs do the same. The van truely impressed me. The only problem I had, I aired down too much and ended up loosing the bead on one wheel. That was totally my fault, as I forgot that I couldn't air down as far as I do the 4runner, being that the width of the van tire is so close to it's rim width. No biggy, threw the spare on, aired it down and then added a little air to the rest.

Sorry for the long winded post, I'm just excited from taking her out on a real trail. Anyways, on to some pics (sorry no action shots of the van).

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Vanna/Garcia%20Ridge%20June%2008/IMG_7542.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Vanna/Garcia%20Ridge%20June%2008/IMG_7543.jpg

Ummm.... not going to get far like this! :oops:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Vanna/Garcia%20Ridge%20June%2008/IMG_7538.jpg

The Jeepers were jealous of all my room. :lol:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Vanna/Garcia%20Ridge%20June%2008/IMG_7539.jpg

Oh yeah, check out my new curb feeler! :mrgreen:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Vanna/Garcia%20Ridge%20June%2008/IMG_7540.jpg

Couple more pics Here (http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Vanna/Garcia%20Ridge%20June%2008/)

Hopefully one of the other guys got an action shot of me.

Seanz0rz
06-08-2008, 05:23 PM
nothing like wheelin a van...

Bob98SR5
06-08-2008, 05:50 PM
i hope you knocked of that rust loose :hillbill:

that cargo cage reminds me of those crab pots from the "deadliest catch"

slosurfer
06-08-2008, 06:57 PM
:lol: That's a good one, it does look similar. That's where the PO put the kiddos when he put his "Free Candy" sign out. :hillbill: J/K

Actually, it is very useful. I do plan on adding another door to it, one that folds down so that if stuff is all over the top of it, I can still access the inside.

It was pretty funny to see the look on faces when they got up top and found the van sitting up top.

I really dig my co2 bottle, I just used it set the bead on that tire. Super easy!

Marc P
06-08-2008, 07:27 PM
That is a pretty cool van Chris. i wonder if IFS manual locking hubs would fit it?

slosurfer
06-08-2008, 07:42 PM
That is a pretty cool van Chris. i wonder if IFS manual locking hubs would fit it?

Thanks Marc, it's a blast to drive around.

Good call on the hubs, because they do! I already have a set to go on (thanks Cabbage :thumbup:), just need to get the "conversion kit"(really just 4 54mm nuts and washers). I would have already done it, but I've been busy making sure the engine was up to snuff.

I was hoping to be able to use bj spacers to lift the front end, but the upper arms for the 4wd are wierd. The balljoint is actually pressed into the upper arm. :screwy: You basically have to replace the whole upper arm if a balljoint goes bad. The 2wd vans could use bj spacers as their upper arms are like our IFS upper arms.

I got almost 21mpg this last tank and it is always loaded with tools/tile/supplies. I'm hopeing to improve on that once I figure out this high idle problem.

Bob98SR5
06-08-2008, 08:06 PM
chris,

btw, lance and i did alot of work on the biodiesel benz today. i need to drop the subframe to do a little more rust repair. Hopefully i can finish and get the biodieseel plant operational by summer's end and i'll make a trip out there to help you with your rust issues

bob

Marc P
07-20-2008, 05:51 PM
Who wants to be like Chris????

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/car/762776993.html

thook
07-20-2008, 06:26 PM
Is that thing EFI?

Love the van. I almost got one a long time ago. 2wd, though.

slosurfer
07-20-2008, 09:47 PM
Haha, Marc. That one's pretty nice. It even has the factory fog lights. That rear tire carrier is a little low for my taste. The departure angle isn't great on these things to begin with. :headscratch:

thook, yes these are efi and are a blast to drive. :D I would love to have a really nice 2wd one to mess around with. Lower it and trick it out some. :smokin:

thook
07-22-2008, 10:21 AM
Ever figure out the idle problem?

slosurfer
07-22-2008, 06:02 PM
:laugh: No I haven't. I have ruled out the dashpot as it has been sitting in my glovebox for 2months. :D I believe it is my idle air valve that is sticking, because when I come up to a stop sign and stop, it will be idleing around 1300ish, and I can give the gas pedal a little quick stomp and it will then calm back down to 700ish.

I lubed the throttle cable and it seems really smooth, so I've kind of ruled out that. There is a chance, it could also be the air valve for the power steering or the A/C as well. I think I found a way to rule those out, but I just haven't had the time. If those are ruled out, then I'm almost positive it is the idle air valve and I will just leave it be, until it gets fully stuck. The damn thing is under the intake plenum. :fishing: (ooh aah, new smilies) :4x:

corax
07-22-2008, 08:57 PM
I think I remember you saying you thoroughly cleaned the throttle plate (or I'd suggest that with some carb cleaner and a toothbrush), so you may want to spray some penetrating lube on the throttle plate bushings (inside and out)and accelerator pedal pivots. Also might be a good idea to pull the little boot things off the end of the throttle cable and try to get some penetrating lube worked in there also. If the idle drops when you give it a quick stab, it sounds like the t-plate is just sticking slightly open. Don't bother with WD-40, I'd use PB Blaster or equivalent

slosurfer
07-23-2008, 07:59 AM
Corax, you are correct, I actually pulled the whole TB to adjust the TPS and it took me two days to clean that sucker! :shake: You may be on the correct path with those throttle plate bushings. I seem to remember that it felt like it was sticking some, I believe I even sprayed some PB Blaster on the outside but not the inside. I should do that again. ONe thing I noticed about the PB Blaster, it's great for unsticking parts, but doesn't have a long life as a lubricant. Maybe I should spray the inside and outside again, work it, and then a couple days later add some WD-40 or silicone lube?

When I had the TB out, I did lube the throttle cable in the way you're suggesting. That's why I'm almost positive that it isn't the throttle cable. It was really smooth pulling it by hand, and while holding it in my hand while stepping on the gas pedal, it was really smooth with no catches.

I'm going to work on that throttle plate, thanks for the heads up.

thook
07-23-2008, 04:35 PM
Yeah...I believe he's on the right track, too. Usually, with an air idle valve, if it's sticking it's not affected much by throttle engagement/release like what you're describing. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with that motor, so I can't tell you exactly how to test it. But, it can't be much different than any other.

corax
07-23-2008, 07:01 PM
I should do that again. ONe thing I noticed about the PB Blaster, it's great for unsticking parts, but doesn't have a long life as a lubricant. Maybe I should spray the inside and outside again, work it, and then a couple days later add some WD-40 or silicone lube?

I think the bit about using PB to loosen it is a good idea, but WD-40 or Silicone lube is pretty thin and might not last. Then again, the bushings are some form of plastic or possibly teflon. It may just be that in the process of cleaning everything some dirt got washed into the bushings and is gumming up the works. I believe the linkage side has a tiny rubber seal to prevent air leaks and the other side is sealed with a tiny "freeze plug" looking thing. giving it a good spray from the inside may be best, and if you want to lube it I think you may also have to do that from the inside. If it was mine, after flushing the bushings with PB I might put a few drops of Marvel Mystery Oil in there and be done with it.

http://www.pipelinesupply.com/images/Marvel_Mystery_Oil.jpg
MarvelMysteryOil.com (http://MarvelMysteryOil.com)

Marc P
07-27-2008, 07:04 PM
Another one...nice paint!

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/car/772039339.html

slosurfer
07-27-2008, 07:32 PM
That's a good price if it is a 5spd and really does run well. I'd take that paint over my rust any day. :laugh:

I crazedlist search the entire west coast for these everyday. One of these days I'll find a cheap parts donor van. :P A 4wd automatic with a blown headgasket/engine problems and a decent interior/exterior would be perfect. The 4wd automatics have 4.88 gears which would come in handy later for bigger tires. :P

corax
07-28-2008, 05:53 AM
What size differential does your van have? If it's the standard 7.5"/8", the pick a part down here has several LSD's that only cost ~$40 . . .

slosurfer
07-28-2008, 07:29 AM
What size differential does your van have? If it's the standard 7.5"/8", the pick a part down here has several LSD's that only cost ~$40 . . .

The rear is the 7.5" and the front is a 6ish" something. I believe some Celicas had LSD's that fit the front as well. I'll find out what the front one is exactly.

I've been wanting to get one of those for the front of the 4runner as well.

corax
07-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Celica Supra with the 5MGE had a 7.5" LSD, about a month ago I pulled one from an '82 with 205k miles on it and the clutch packs still looked great. I'll keep an eye out for another on my next junkyard run for you