PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Green Vehicles soon to hit the road

Good Times
04-19-2008, 07:15 PM
As the barrel of petroleum prices goes up, we begin to understand the harsh reality of how we need to aggressively conserve and methodically calculate how we can be more efficient with our time and use of the fuel we purchase for our vehicles. Many have looked into alternative vehicles such as hybrids and diesels but there's a new breed of vehicles that will be available soon.

Aptera, a Carlsbad, CA based company has been developing a three wheeled vehicle, which is really a motorcycle in the eyes of the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles), making it legal for the driver to drive alone in the HOV (High Occupancy Vehicle Lane aka Carpool Lane) lane and be cozy enough for daily commuting (enclosed vehicle). It was originally designed to be an electric vehicle but they have diversified their vehicle lineup to include a hybrid configuration. This vehicle is configured to seat 2 (side by side) plus ample room in the trunk to fit a lot of gear. It's suppose to be "plug-in" which will be big for the consumers looking for the convenience of being able to plug in overnight and charge this bad boy. Typical charge time will be 2-4 hours which pretty respectable. The approximate price for the all electric version is $26,900 and the plug-in hybrid $29,900. Their goal is to begin production in late 2008.

http://www.aptera.com/images/home1.jpg

Source: Aptera Website (http://www.aptera.com/)

Venture Vehicles, a Los Angeles, CA based company has also been developing a similar three wheeled vehicle. This vehicle features a more "motorcycle like" style where the occupants will be seated front to back. No price has been set but it's expected to get 100 mpg. Their goal is to begin production in 2010.

http://www.flytheroad.com/images/Splash_8.jpg

Source: Venture Vehicles Website (http://www.flytheroad.com/)

Pretty cool huh? :D

DHC6twinotter
04-19-2008, 07:30 PM
Wow...nice. This is a lot cheaper than the Tesla Roadster too. :thumbup:

scottiac
04-19-2008, 09:08 PM
I've had my Aptera order in for several months. I'm number #26!

Unfortunately, they're going to distribute to San Diego area first, then LA, the Northern Cal, and also they're going to build the electric first, and the hybrid second, so I have a bit of a wait ahead of me.

They're saying by June of '09 for me; at least at last check.

But I've already checked with work... they don't mind if I charge the puppy at the lab, so most of my commuting will be free!!!!

slosurfer
04-19-2008, 09:24 PM
I've had my Aptera order in for several months. I'm number #26!

I wonder how that would handle a corrugated dirt road like, say, Saline Valley Rd. on the way into DV. :D

paddlenbike
04-19-2008, 10:13 PM
:lol: Saline Valley Rd is at the top of my most hated roads list.

Scott--looking forward to a ride in that Aptera!

scottiac
04-20-2008, 09:09 AM
I wonder how that would handle a corrugated dirt road like, say, Saline Valley Rd. on the way into DV. :D

Hell, it won't even do that well as a bike hauler, but I currently have a Tacoma dblcab <20mpg, my 4runner <20mpg, my wifes subaru <25mpg... I'm pumping out serious bucks in gas, and I am having a hard time keeping my environmentalist bent intact! :D

But 300 mpg (supplemented with work electricity) sounds pretty damn attractive. Even 120 mpg (running long distance w/ no recharge) doesn't sound so bad.

It certainly won't do everything for me; that's why I have multiple vehicles. But commute miles are not fun miles, and if I'm going to pay a fortune for gas, it better be FUN!!!!

Saline Valley road is a smooth as glass trip... once you pass 70mph. :tongueout:

(Although the screaming from the passenger seat does wear you down a bit!)

oly884
05-02-2008, 12:11 PM
The thing to remember is that if you can afford another vehicle, buy one for commuting.

Now that I'm back in Seattle, I'll be looking for a vehicle with 50+ mpg capabilities and just use the truck for trips/camping.