PDA

View Full Version : Well ain't this a bizatch: suction mounts are illegal in CA and MN while driving

Bob98SR5
04-19-2008, 10:37 PM
I was doing some research on Ram mount's website, when I read this:

NOTICE TO DRIVERS IN CALIFORNIA AND MINNESOTA: State law prohibits drivers in California and Minnesota from using suction mounts on their windshields while operating motor vehicles.

Well if that's true, i've been violating the law for about 2 yrs now. I'm not sure when this went into effect or what's the penalty, but what a dumb arse excuse for a cop to pull you over and sweat you.

So I did a little homework and found another forum memeber who did some research on it as well. here's the VC on this rule:

According to California Codes [Vehical Code 26708a], "(1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows."

But if you read 27602 a1, you may actually use a windshield suction cup and pedestal kit on Global Positioning Displays or Mapping Displays. See more below...

Source: LegalTips.org
URL: http://www.legaltips.org/california/california_vehicle_code/27600-27607.aspx

"27602. (a) A person may not drive a motor vehicle if a television
receiver, a video monitor, or a television or video screen, or any
other, similar means of visually displaying a television broadcast or
video signal that produces entertainment or business applications,
is operating and is located in the motor vehicle at any point forward
of the back of the driver's seat, or is operating and visible to the
driver while driving the motor vehicle.

(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to the following equipment when
installed in a vehicle:

(1) A vehicle information display.
(2) A global positioning display.
(3) A mapping display.
(4) A visual display used to enhance or supplement the driver's
view forward, behind, or to the sides of a motor vehicle for the
purpose of maneuvering the vehicle.
(5) A television receiver, video monitor, television or video
screen, or any other, similar means of visually displaying a
television broadcast or video signal, if that equipment has an
interlock device that, when the motor vehicle is driven, disables the
equipment for all uses except as a visual display as described in
paragraphs (1) to (4), inclusive."

So the conclusion is that you can use a suction mount with a GPS device, any device that is for mapping purposes, or a device that aids in improving visibility (like a camera).

So i've been putting my blackberry 8830. in my case, if i get hassled by a cop for having my phone on the suction mount, all i have to say is that i use the phone with google maps and hopefully the cop wont write that on the citation and make me prove it in court.

bob

GSU 4Runner
04-19-2008, 10:42 PM
Just out of curiosity, why does California have obscure laws? It seems that everything is different there than everywhere else?

humanoid
04-19-2008, 11:20 PM
It's not called Kalifornistan for nothin'!

Bob98SR5
04-19-2008, 11:54 PM
Just out of curiosity, why does California have obscure laws? It seems that everything is different there than everywhere else?

we are the nanny state :roll:

Robinhood4x4
04-20-2008, 07:25 AM
Don't worry, the rest of the nation usually follows CA by about 20 years.

xonetruthcrewx
04-20-2008, 08:32 AM
Been that way forever Bob. You just need to choose to ignore it. I have used suction cup mounts for a long time now. Never had a problem. I have never even heard of someone getting in trouble for it. I really dont think its something thats enforced.

slosurfer
04-20-2008, 09:04 AM

Because all the liberal wackos from other states move here, unite, and change shiite! They are all :asshat: (I finally got to use that one, hehe!)

Bob, you scared me with this one. I use one with my gps, so I'm good.

4x4mike
04-21-2008, 09:09 AM
I have my GPS mounted on a ProClip. It keeps it off the dash and windshiled. Bummer is that it blocks a vent.

www.proclipusa.com

Suntura
04-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Truth be told, many California Vehicle Codes are in place to give cops valid Probable Cause to stop people. Often times, stops conducted for what seems like a trivial offense can lead to rather interesting finds (i.e. Drugs, guns, bodies in the trunk, the so called "white elephant". But for the most part, folks need not worry about being hassled for ticky-tack offenses. Usually, if you don't look like an asshole, cops won't stop you for those offense....that is unless you drive like a complete idiot (i.e. asians). And that, my friends, is not racial profiling but rather criminal profiling. :flipoff: :flipoff: :flipoff:

Good Times
04-21-2008, 08:54 PM
thread hijack...

shit it's about time you post! :)

slosurfer
04-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Dude! Is that Sunny?!!

Good Times
04-21-2008, 09:04 PM
yup!

slosurfer
04-21-2008, 09:09 PM
It's about time he posted! :alert: :gay2: :alert:

Seanz0rz
04-21-2008, 09:40 PM
well youre also not suppose to go above the speed limit, but im hard pressed to find people traveling 65 on the freeways here, hell even 70 is rare. no one gets pulled for that kind of stuff. unless you stick out, youre probably fine. just make sure someone else is going faster than you, and you are probably ok. i honestly dont think they care about stuff on the windshield.

Bob98SR5
04-21-2008, 09:55 PM
cops won't stop you for those offense....that is unless you drive like a complete idiot (i.e. asians). And that, my friends, is not racial profiling but rather criminal profiling. :flipoff: :flipoff: :flipoff:

yeah, especially those asians that drive pathfinders :flipoff: :flipoff: :flipoff:

(good to see you here, sonny)

Suntura
04-22-2008, 12:38 AM
Jerks. I hate you all.

4runnerchevy
04-22-2008, 07:22 AM
Cops call it fishing, when they pull you over for suction cups, plate lights, brake light, no mirror, mud flaps and other trivial crap. 5 times out of 10 they find a much bigger ticket like drugs, no insurance, warrants, etc.. My father-in-law, being a deputy, gives me good info, and yes he drives around with a suction cup GPS in his camper. :flipoff:

skyrat
05-22-2008, 12:43 PM
Hey Bob,
You know I love you, but the conclusion of the"research" is wrong.

Suction cups are illegal here in Kali. Period.
Paragraph (a) is referring to a video signal (ie: they don't want you entertaining/distracting yourself while driving.
Paragraph (b) is just saying that a GPS is not entertainment but an enhancement and can be mounted in front of the rear of the front seat. It is saying it is okay to have one visible to the driver. It is NOT saying that you can mount it to the windshield.

The TomTom 920 I purchased this week specifically quotes the CVC you mentioned and says it is illegal to mount it to the windshield.

BTW How have you been?

Good Times
05-22-2008, 05:13 PM
California Senate will be voting on Senate Bill 1567, which would "add an exemption for the use of a seven-inch GPS screen mounted on in the lower corner of the passenger-side windshield or a five-inch screen on the driver's side".

Not sure when this will happen but it's in the works.

skyrat
05-22-2008, 05:38 PM
Wow, who knows, maybe our State Senate will get one thing right...