PDA

View Full Version : Best Ring and Pinion ?

Ric
04-26-2008, 09:19 PM
ok guys, whats the BEST ring and pinion for a 3rd gen ?
Ive got Yukons, and the pinion gear is trashed, this set is only two years old, :headscratch: not sure I want to go with Yukon again, IM really really happy with them right now, lol,
so Im going to order a new rear set on monday.
I wanted to hear your thoughts. Im thinking about going with Presision Gears.

Ric
04-26-2008, 09:22 PM
oh, and Glen and I actually removed the 3rd member wooohoooo, you all know that Im no wrench, not even close, lol so this was a major deal for me :D now only if we can get it reinstalled ok, Ill be soooooooo happy, this is turning out to be a great learning experiance :thumbup:

4runnerchevy
04-27-2008, 04:29 AM
I just installed a set of precision gears, in a friends truck and they seemed great. To tell you the truth I have ran the same gears in my truck for nearly 10 years, and tons of very serious abuse. I run Yukons. The only problem I have had is the crush sleeve, which is no problem using a solid spacer. Are you sure they are set-up right.

Bighead
04-27-2008, 04:57 AM
I have had Precision Gears in my Inchworm-built diffs for ~5 years with zero issues. Who set up the diff that went bad?

Vermejo
04-27-2008, 06:05 AM
Bummer your Yukon痴 were trashed. I知 running Yukon Gears w/o any problems but only have a few thousand on the clock. Sounds like the gears may not have been set up properly as you may talk with the mechanic that did the work. Yukon only offers a one year warranty for defects of workmanship.

Ric
04-27-2008, 07:51 AM
thankx for the replies guys, a yota tech installed them, hes done about 100 gear installs, hes done pretty much every yota in the denver area, lol, so i feel good about him doing them, and like i said, he reset them like 4 times, they always had a humm on the coast side. Im probley going with Presision tomorrow, unless someone warns against them.
I know of atleast one other guy that had the same issue with his Yukons, and he later went with the Presision, and 3 years later still zero issues.

Ric
04-27-2008, 01:48 PM
wheres a good place to get some Presisios ?

4runnerchevy
04-27-2008, 07:26 PM
Here

http://www.precisiongear.com/

Ric
04-27-2008, 07:38 PM
you cant buy from the website, or I havent seen where, lol

4runnerchevy
04-27-2008, 07:44 PM
oops, try google !

Ric
04-27-2008, 07:47 PM
lol no worries, got a buddy going to check first thing tomorrow :thumbup:

Bighead
04-28-2008, 06:24 AM
http://reiderracing.com/

Robinhood4x4
04-28-2008, 07:25 AM
I've heard US gear is pretty good too.

Ric
04-28-2008, 07:49 AM
Bighead ,
thankx man :thumbup:

Robinhood4x4,
thats the other one I was thinking of, never could remember the name, thankx

97kurt
04-28-2008, 09:29 AM
Zuk over at gearinstalls.com has had some pretty good things to say about Motiv gears. I've yet to find anything negative about them so far and I will probably go with them when I re-gear.

dontdo_that
04-28-2008, 11:04 AM
From my understand, Yukon gears are sets compiled from several brands of gears that are repacked as Yukon gears. So it is possible that you could have landed a cheaper brand, like Genuine Gear (I couldn't find a shop that wanted to deal with those). But sometimes the gears are not marked or anything so you don't know what you got. It is possible however that you can get a higher quality RP set such as Richmond or PG from a yukon kit.

I think Precision Gear is the most common and trouble free RP I've read about for our trucks. PG would be a good choice!