PDA

View Full Version : Got a Prius? Want to achieve 100mpg? Try this mod!

Good Times
04-28-2008, 01:02 PM
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autobloggreen.com/media/2008/04/hymotion-l5-kit.jpg

Check out this new mod you can do to your Prius for a measly $10,000 (installation included)!!!! This new plug-in kit for your Prius gives your the ability to get up to 100 mpg!

Looks like it uses your spare tire area?

Interesting numbers regardless. Definitely a bit pricey and I'm not sure what the math looks like on recouping the cost but it's a great option for those that drives quite a bit on the road.

According to the Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI), half of the cars in the U.S. are driven just 25 miles a day or less. Hymotion's L5 Plug-in Conversion Modules enable your vehicle to achieve outstanding fuel economy by electrically supplementing the hybrid drive train for up to 40 miles. When the Hymotion L5 module is fully depleted, your vehicle will function as a standard hybrid until you recharge.

Source: Hymotion (http://www.a123systems.com/hymotion/products)

YotaFun
04-28-2008, 01:31 PM
hmm?
100MPG
That would be sweet, I would fill up, what, every 4 weeks?
(forgot the tank size for the Prius)

I could live with that lol

Seanz0rz
04-28-2008, 01:39 PM
does it plug in? if it did, id really never have a use for the motor.

DHC6twinotter
04-28-2008, 01:43 PM
I've seen this on various TV shows lately. Pretty cool stuff.

From reading their website, it looks like the batteries are basically good for running pure electric power for the first 30-40 miles before it starts to use the engine. So, if I understand it correctly, anybody that doesn't drive more than 30-40 miles per day will ever have to buy gas. :thumbup:

At least that's what I gather from reading the website.

DHC6twinotter
04-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Sean, I think it does plug in. Charge takes 4.5 hours or so.

YotaFun
04-28-2008, 01:52 PM
I've seen this on various TV shows lately. Pretty cool stuff.

From reading their website, it looks like the batteries are basically good for running pure electric power for the first 30-40 miles before it starts to use the engine. So, if I understand it correctly, anybody that doesn't drive more than 30-40 miles per day will ever have to buy gas. :thumbup:

At least that's what I gather from reading the website.

Sean, I think it does plug in. Charge takes 4.5 hours or so.

I will be driving 50+ miles a day soon.
I sleep for at least 5 hours a night.
This would work lol!!

BruceTS
04-28-2008, 01:58 PM
hehe I was thinking about buying a used Prius and doing my own mod to make it get over 100 mpg. I sure wouldn't waste 10K on a battery..... Considering you can get a custom Lithium battery built much cheaper.

FlyingWil
04-28-2008, 03:10 PM
That's pretty cool!

scottiac
04-28-2008, 03:11 PM
Unfortunately, you also have to modify the car's computer, unless you are staying under 35mph or so... I don't believe it will use pure battery in excess of speeds that are somewhere around there. (Although modifications to accommodate that do exist.)

paddlenbike
04-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Unfortunately, you also have to modify the car's computer, unless you are staying under 35mph or so... I don't believe it will use pure battery in excess of speeds that are somewhere around there. (Although modifications to accommodate that do exist.)

This is consistent with what I have read.

DHC6twinotter
04-28-2008, 05:21 PM
Yeah, the modified Prius I saw on TV looked like the screen on the dash that shows the power status had been modified. The user interface didn't look anywhere near as nice as stock.

randver
04-28-2008, 07:54 PM
you may save on gas but how much will your electric bill go up from charging it

DHC6twinotter
04-28-2008, 08:06 PM
That's a good point. Supposedly, a pure electric car getting its power from a power plant uses 60% (IIRC) less energy than it does to fuel an ordinary car. What that converts to in monetary terms, I don't know. Because most people would charge their cars at night, power plants should be able to keep up with demand fairly easily. If a person really wanted to get carried away with this, they could buy solar panels to mount on their house solely for charging their cars. The HGTV green house project did this to charge the golf cart that goes with the winner of the house.

I do think that pure electric cars using power from wind/solar/nuclear/etc plants would be great way to do things. I see it much more feasible than hydrogen, or any kind of bio-fuels.

BruceTS
04-28-2008, 08:33 PM
all over the net you can find the info to "hack" the computer to run more on the electric motor. What I was thinking was strip all I can out of the interior, add more batteries, install a diesel pony motor to run alternators for charging the batteries and possibly laminate solar panels to the exterior body. Can't say what I could do to the drivetrain until I get my grubby hands on one, but I'd like to eliminate the gas engine and make it pure electric....

Willman
04-28-2008, 09:44 PM
100 mpg would rock!

I'm game!

dontdo_that
04-29-2008, 10:17 AM
lol I don't own a prius.. but do I smell a group buy?

This would be badass if it could be strapped to my runner :-D

DHC6twinotter
04-29-2008, 01:16 PM
I've had thoughts of converting my '90 4Runner to an EV vehicle. Would be cool, but cost a lot. Plenty of room for batteries underneath. :thumbup: