PDA

View Full Version : How to change Goodtimes' flat tire

slosurfer
04-01-2007, 12:38 AM
This is especially important because I am sure many of us will be wheeling with Goodtimes in the future.
Don't be fooled into thinking that this is as simple as changing a tire (even though that is what you are doing) :D

Tools needed:
1. 48" high-lift in working order
2. 60" high-lift in non working order
3. 2 winches and 2 vehicles as anchors
4. Huge base rock buried into the earth and various rocks to use as tire chocks
5. Huge ratchet strap (like those that truckers use to secure loads)
6. Shovel
7. Various other people to take pics, give ideas, and lend a hand.
8. Tire repair kit

Step 1.
Use tire repair kit to see if it stops the leak so that you don't have to change the tire. Don't be afraid to use too much of your repair kit.

Step 2. Take working mechanism off of 48" high-lift, while taking non-working mechanism of of 60" jack. Install working mechanism on 60" high-lift.

Step 3. Loosen lug nuts

Step 4. Using winches and vehicles as anchors, anchor front of the rig and opposite side of the rig from the flat tire.

Step 5. Use various rocks to chock the other wheels

Step 6. Use ratchet strap around the axle to keep it from drooping so far once you start jacking up the vehicle

Step 7. Dig hole and bury huge flat rock to use as a base for the high-lift.

Step 8. Jack up vehicle slowly (you may need to tighten the winch lines to steady the vehicle)

Step 9. Dig hole and remove flat tire

Step 10. Dig bigger hole so that you can install new tire

Step 11. Fill in the hole and slowly lower the vehicle

Step 12. Tighten lug nuts and remove the whole setup

Step 13. Reinstall respective high-lift parts to there rightful place, being careful not to lose any bolts when you put your high-lift back on your vehicle

Step 14. ****Very Important! Make sure you remove ratchet strap from the axle!

I am sure I left something out, but here are the pics.
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Death%20Valley%2007/IMG_5406.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Death%20Valley%2007/IMG_5407.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Death%20Valley%2007/IMG_5408.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Death%20Valley%2007/IMG_5410.jpg

Lance, let me know if I forgot anything.
:tapedshut:

Cebby
04-01-2007, 06:47 AM
:laugh:

localmotion
04-01-2007, 08:21 AM
holllyy cow thats insane :screwy:

bamachem
04-01-2007, 08:23 AM
ummmm, lance... why did you need TWO anchors, a strap, and a shovel? :D

seriously, "luuuucy, you got sum splainin to dooooo!"

slosurfer
04-01-2007, 11:20 AM
ummmm, lance... why did you need TWO anchors, a strap, and a shovel? :D

seriously, "luuuucy, you got sum splainin to dooooo!"

Lance, sheds a little more light on the subject here: http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=471.0
Seriously, I have never seen a vehicle come that close to taking out the whole group. I think my son Jack was the only one who wasn't close to getting taken out.

Good Times
04-01-2007, 11:38 AM
i always try to bring some fun into our adventure runs and make them very memorable. it's not easy when you've got to be creative on the "o snap I remember that trip" ;)

slosurfer
04-01-2007, 11:47 AM
i always try to bring some fun into our adventure runs and make them very memorable. it's not easy when you've got to be creative on the "o snap I remember that trip" ;)

I think we all learned some things that day. NO one got hurt and we have a great story to tell, plus it helped that Jack was actually being pretty chill during the whole event so that I could actually help. I was thinking that it would be cool if you welded a little tab one on each side of your rear axle. That way you could run a strap through that instead of around the axle and brake lines. I wouldn't have to be very big because it will only be holding the weight of that side of the axle. Just a thought I had after looking at that strap picture.

Good Times
04-01-2007, 12:06 PM
chris great idea!!!

slosurfer
04-01-2007, 12:29 PM
chris great idea!!!

I know I am full of them!

marko3xl3
04-01-2007, 06:51 PM
Wow that's pretty crazy. Good job on figuring everything out!

On first thought, it just looked like a real "fun" way to change a tire until I read your horror story in the trip reports section :yikes:. Here, I'll share:

Unfortunately on the way back down the mountain I encountered a flat. Not sure how but it was a good 1.5 - 2" gash on the footprint of my MT/R's. I honestly don't have a clue as to how I was able to puncture the tire on the footprint but I will caught it up to my dumb luck. Anyway, I locate a flat surface where we can work on my 4runner and I begin assessing the damage. On first inspection I determined that the tire repair kit would do the trick and get me back on the road but after a few attempts the darn hole was a bit too big. After failing miserably I conceded and decided to swap tires. Dean was nice enough to get his hi-lift and started to jack the passenger side while I attempted to loosen the wheel. After successfully removing the tire, we placed the tire under the 4runner as a precaution. As luck would have it this action would prove to be a lifesaver as the hi-lift lost it's footing and the 4runner came crashing down! Luckily nobody was hurt. We did get tossed by the crashing 4runner but we all survived. Assessing the damage we determined that the base of the hi-lift was very unstable causing the slippage. We surveyed the surrounding areas and collected large flat rocks to place under the hi-lift. The damage tire did prove to save our lives as without that tire I am certain I would have been pinned under the rear wheelwell along with Dean being stuck under the rear passenger door area. Chris came close to being decapitated by the rear bumper as it barely missed him by inches.

After digging under 4runner and building a solid foundation with the large rocks we gave it another shot in restoring the hi-lift back in it's original position. Due to my awesome rear travel we had to get creative by limiting the amount of travel as we knew that we were not going to be able to get the axle off the ground without some creative work. Chris' idea of strapping the axle to the frame to help mount the tire proved to be a great idea and we ran with it. After rigging the strap to hold the axle close to the frame, we raised the 4runner enough to get the 35's on the axle. We did have to dig a nice big hole to accommodate for the tire though. After a solid 2+ hours in the sun we were back on the road. Thanks guys! You guys are the best! I know there are lots of videos and photos on this.... don't think we need to show anyone Brian, sorry we killed the day and we couldn't hang out more I'm really sorry!

Texas Jim
04-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Hay!!! Isn't triple AAA suppose to help in thous situations??? TJ

Elton
04-09-2007, 10:36 PM
geez was it really that hard ? time to bring a floor jack

surf4runner
04-12-2007, 12:28 PM
i missed all the 'fun' :-(

paddlenbike
04-14-2007, 12:39 PM
LOL. I am sorry I missed all that. After passing you guys on our way out from the charcoal kilns we ended up helping an older couple change a blown tire on their rental car. Our experience was a little less dramatic though.

Andy--I am using that same ridiculous avatar on another forum...

ecchamberlin
04-27-2007, 08:50 PM
ONly part of that SOP (standard operating procedure) that in new is the winch line compaired to his MT/R sidewall gash at Big Bear this past year.

slosurfer
04-28-2007, 09:11 AM
ONly part of that SOP (standard operating procedure) that in new is the winch line compaired to his MT/R sidewall gash at Big Bear this past year.

I know, the sad part is that I actually had a floor jack in my 4runner at Big Bear. :tapedshut: But I was up near the front and they just pushed us along, I had no idea at the time what was involved otherwise I would have put it to use.

wifesaysimadumbass
06-05-2007, 10:56 PM
hey lance i still got more of those zip ties if you need some more for your next tire change and coil fix

Good Times
06-05-2007, 11:06 PM
hahaha thanks :)

i definitely gonna need lots in the future!

Texas Jim
06-10-2007, 05:30 PM
Wow!! How about a 10 ton forklift on a trailer behind.. It would be a lot easier...lol TJ

wifesaysimadumbass
06-13-2007, 05:59 PM
lance why are you killing so many tires? my old bfgs that were 10 years old and rotted are still going strong on a prerunner truck now (i went bigger).so what's up? i think this is the third time i've heard of you losing a tire...??!!??