PDA

View Full Version : Opinions and ideas for northern AZ? southern UT expedition(s)

Henrythewound
05-14-2008, 10:52 AM
I'm looking at possibly taking a few backcountry trips to the AZ strip, Canyonlands, and possibly even some of the more popular trails in Colorado (Ouray/Telluride area). My idea of backcountry is probably tamer than some of yours, I'm thinking of 4WD trails but not any real rock crawling or trails where I am likely to receive body damage. I have a 2000 4Runner w/ 265/75s, sliders, ans a SS 7.1, so I believe it's more than capable of handling the trails I am interested in. I do not have a roof rack other than the stock Tioyota version and both front and rear bumpers are stock.

My concerns:
1) Need a decent way to carry some extra gas. Is there a stock-friendly method/bumper mount for carrying an extra gas can or two?
2) I would like to take my mountain bike but I think the hitch-mount I currently use could result in bad things for the bike if I cross some steep/narrow drainages.
3) I have a wife and 10 month old kid. I can't go too crazy with the backcountry driving or get too far away from civilization for more than a few days based on camping difficulties with a little one.
4) one spare tire. I recently posted another thread on repairing a slow leak in one of my tires. I have a repair kit in the mail from WabFab so I'll be semi-capable of fixing small punctures but I wonder if most people carry more than 1 spare just in case.

Any opinions on exploring these areas? I know many have done the White Rim Road in Canyonlands, that's my plan too. Wasn't there a thread by someone on here w/ a ton of pics?

I know very little about the AZ strip other than what I saw on a Desert Speaks show. It looked very remote, extremely beautiful, and I am now obsessed with heading out there.

Lastly, I know the trails between Ouray and Telluride are very popular. I am a bit freaked out about heading out there alone, especially on those switchbacks. I recall seeing many other roads to small towns near Ouray and Silverton as well. I would like to check some of those out as well. Any ideas?

These trips can be any time of year, I suppose I need to plan around snow in all of these areas. Is the AZ strip cool enough to enjoy in the summer? I live in tucson so heat is relative, although 110 is still damn hot to me.

Thanks,
Joe

Bighead
05-14-2008, 11:59 AM
Take a look at Expedition Portal (http://expeditionportal.com/forum/index.php)...that site should have a lot of what you are looking for.

Henrythewound
05-14-2008, 12:51 PM
Thanks, I have seen that page before but not looked into it in detail yet. I'll bookmark it.

Robinhood4x4
05-15-2008, 05:05 AM
The stock roof rack is just fine for carrying things. Ratchet strap a gas can or two down, but get the good nato or specter gas cans so they don't leak.

I think I would look into a roof mounted bike rack.

One spare tire plus your repair kit should be fine. If you get a bigger gash in your tire you can stuff multiple plugs into the hole for a temporary fix until you get back to civilization where AAA can help. Don't forget an air compressor of some sort.

freejake3
05-15-2008, 08:14 PM
"Backcountry Adventures" is a good series for mellow trails that you can often string from one stretch of hardball to another to get where you are going. They have some deals on these on Amazon. Don't forget to make time for Arches NP. It's freakin' awesome and pleny of easy dirt trails to be found. Make the short hike to Delicate Arch and be sure to checkout Park Avenue at sunset for some killer photos like this one

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m253/affinis/trip06/7691350-R4-029-13.jpg