PDA

View Full Version : start then stumble and low idle and sometimes stall.

Seanz0rz
05-15-2008, 10:33 PM
so i have this problem, had it once a while ago (2 or so months), and then it happened the other day, and today, it showed up again.

basically the problem is, after being run for a few minutes(IE 3 or 4 blocks down the street) and then stopped, motor turned off, it stumbles after starting.

starts strong, and in a normal amount of time, just like it does most of the time.
after i release the key, RPM's drop to below 500, between 400 and 300. the engine runs quiet, doesn't sound like a misfire or any of that, but it just runs very very slow.
i can give it gas and it revs just fine, but if i quickly take my foot off the pedal, it will drop and occasionally stall.
even more rarely, it will stall just after restarting it, as if you turned it over but not quite enough to get it started. sometimes it will run for several seconds before stalling.

so when this happened the first two times, i was at about 1/8th of a tank left. i just assumed the position i was parked in wasnt supplying the best fuel to the pump, and once i drove the truck to the destination, it was running fine on the way there, and started with no trouble at all when i returned.

tonight it was a bit different. first, i had about 3/4 tank of gas. i was parked at a very odd angle for a car show. to come off the ramp, i started it up and backed down, no problem. turned the truck off to put the ramp in the back of the truck and say goodbye to everyone, i get back in and the problem starts again. a few friends and i play with it, and nothing we do seems to help, even removing my dirty air filter (engine side is still very clean, outer side is horrible, cleaner on its way). so it presents the symptoms above for a while, probably 10 mins, and then clears up. go to the grocery store, come out, and it kind of does it again, but the idle is creeping higher, now at about 500 rpm, (and nearly normal temp)

so this problem perplexes me. no dash warning lights, ever, and yes they do work. fuel filter was replaced along with spark plugs and wires about 5k miles ago. at the same time i cleaned the MAF, throttle body, and IAC valve. the air filter is dirty but removing it did nothing to help. i have a hard time its fuel or spark related because it is so random, and with the exception of these three incidents above, it is flawless.

any one have anything like this happen ever? any help? im at a total loss for trouble shooting this one!

thanks guys.
-Sean

cplvc
05-15-2008, 11:14 PM
Sean, I'm no expert at figuring these things out but a co-worker is having a similar problem this week on his Volvo. His mechanic suggests cleaning the IAC. I see you've already done that not long ago but may be worth another shot.

Seanz0rz
05-15-2008, 11:17 PM
i was going to install new front shocks on friday, but i fear i might be under hood all day with this issue. thanks for the tip. its just so strange that its very very seldom, and only under particular conditions.

Seanz0rz
05-18-2008, 03:28 PM
bump for the end of weekend crew. im totally lost

this week i will reclean my entire intake tract, including the plenum. im just baffled as to whats causing this.

will also be doing my best to check out all the sensors. still has not repeated, nor have i recieved a check engine light.

YotaJunky
05-19-2008, 06:52 AM
I've got the same issue with my 4runner also. I've tried to remove the IAC from my TB, but wound up rounding off all of the screws, and now have to think of another way to back them out.

Seanz0rz
05-19-2008, 09:27 AM
get a set of screw outs. ive used mine so many times! and it still perplexes me why they use screws for that one part. i might try to find bolts to replace the screws one day.

YotaJunky
05-19-2008, 09:33 AM
get a set of screw outs. ive used mine so many times! and it still perplexes me why they use screws for that one part. i might try to find bolts to replace the screws one day.

Great idea! I don't know why that didn't occur to me because I have a set of easy outs, and have used them with success. :confused:

Seanz0rz
05-20-2008, 03:18 PM
ok so last night i pulled everything apart and today i put it back together.

here is what i found:
a very dirty air filter that is being cleaned on friday when i make it home.
a somewhat dirty throttle body
a damaged rubber gasket between the IAC and TB. replaced with black RTV until i replace IAC.
a very very gummed up IAC valve. did my best to clean what i could reach between a tooth brush and a qtip.
a very dirty upper plenum, soaked in simple green over night and then scrubbed with throttle body cleaner and reinstalled.
also a very dirty lower plenum, did my best to brush out what i could with out removing it from the engine.

culprit to the dirtyness: a dead PCV valve that was pushing oil up into the intake. i suspect that at some point someone over filled the oil. replaced PCV valve and cleaned the hose.

truck runs like it did before, if not a bit better. however it remains to be seen if i have actually solved my problem or not. all sparkwires look good.

next course of action if this repeats:
have fuel injectors cleaned
remove remaining pieces of intake and clean.
replace IAC (needs to be done anyway i think)

paddlenbike
05-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Cleaning the IAC valve usually seems to solve this problem.

While searching for something else, I came across this written by a Toyota tech and thought it was a great idea:

"Loosen the connection to the IAC and with someone controlling the Throttle you can just connect and disconnect the plug while spraying carb cleaner in the IAC port. This cycles the valve open and closed, allowing the carb cleaner to clean the valve. While spraying, the motor will try to stall. At first nothing happens then you will hear an increase in air flow then an increase in engine speed. That's it."