PDA

View Full Version : CA-241 Toll Road Extension **Orange County/San Diego** "Save Trestles"

dontdo_that
05-20-2008, 04:36 PM
The Transportation Corridor Agency wants to extend the current termination point of the 241 Toll Road to meet the I5 freeway which is the only freeway that connects traffic between San Diego and Orange Counties through Camp Pendleton. The environmentalists, surfers and beach-goers stance against this is primarily due to the damage that the San Mateo creek would sustain (inhibiting its ability to supply sand to the beaches that it flows out to) which would destroy Trestles beach, the ONLY stop in the continental US that is visited by the annual surfing World Championship Tour (WCT). In addition, several endangered and protected species including the Steelhead Trout would be affected by the construction.

This fight has been popularly named as "Save Trestles" by Surfrider Foundation and a ton of information can be found by searching that string of words. I believe the actual name of this extension is Foothill-South extension of 241. Using bold statements such as "The TRUTH about the Toll Road" Surfrider aims to gain your attention and I think is fairly successful. What do you think?

The TCAs request to extend the 241 Tollroad was originally denied by the Coastal Commission for the reason that it did not address necessary Environmental regulations. The TCA has appealed the Coastal Comission's decision as was on the news about two or three weeks ago in San Diego although this fight has been raging for several years.

Daily commuters and residents of several areas including Rancho Santa Margarita support this toll road because of obvious and fair reasons including the belief that it will ease traffic on the I-5 and that further developments will ensue resulting in business opportunities.

I don't know a whole ton of info about this situation, and I need to learn more about it since I live in La Jolla right outside UCSD and my mom lives in San Clemente and I have been meaning to surf San Onofre trails and Trestles in my spare time since it is so close. I think there are a fair number of us who would be affected by this toll road whether we are one of the 126,000 who use the I5 every day, or we are surfers who visit Trestles/Cottons/San Onofre on the weekeneds.

What I find to be the most interesting and the most ironic about all of this, is that it is being pushed heavily by those who fight to end OUR access as wheelers yet here they are, fighting to keep THEIR access to beaches (Sierra Club is one of the bigger players who are fighting this). Sure it's not the same exact thing, as we're talking about coastline versus land issues but really, aren't we fighting for the same concept? The protection of nature and the rights of citizens to enjoy such natures in manners that they see fit while being responsible?

So I want to hear what you guys think about this. I thought it would be important to share as we all drive.. and some of us are surfers and divers who frequent the aforementioned areas. Don't take anything given here as "The Word" on whats happening (hehe, Colbert..) Check out some links for yourself and correct me I'm wrong on my understanding of whats going on. Here are just a few links that I know of from quick Googling:

General Reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_241
http://www.buildingtradesnews.com/content/view/248/122/

For:
http://www.rsmlifestyles.com/more-troubles-for-241-toll-road-proponents-where-does-this-leave-rancho-santa-margarita-residents/
http://www.ftcsouth.com/home/index.asp

Against:
http://www.surfrider.org/savetrestles/truth.asp
http://angeles.sierraclub.org/news/SS_2005-11/Trestles.asp

wifesaysimadumbass
06-07-2008, 09:10 PM
i am totally against this route it goes through a state park and right along a river... i've never seen a road that doesn't pollute the surrounding area... i dont agree with the sierra club often but they are 100% right on this one.... the real reason that this toll road is to happen is all that land out there that can developed and turned into another temecula type development... there are lots of people that would like to pave the entire world for a buck

ecchamberlin
06-08-2008, 09:45 AM
First I have heard of this.

I commute between San Diego and Oxnard(Ventura Co) twice a week. The traffic does get bad in this area but I don't think running another hwy is the answer to the issue.

That area is pretty untouched considering its location and it should stay that way. I learned a lot about coastal wet lands like the estuaries while living next to the one in Imperial Beach. It is a very delicate balance and many really do not understand the cycle of it. They just complain that it stinks every once in a while mistaking it for a sewage problem when the tide is extremely low.

I absolutely loved the hand full of times I surfed upper tresles.

This is why I donate to Surfrider Fo!

expatoz
06-08-2008, 05:51 PM
I'm in with Surfrider on this one. Hands off.

slosurfer
06-08-2008, 07:37 PM
I'm in with Surfrider on this one. Hands off.

I agree. I have only had the opportunity to surf there for one weekend while camping there, it would be a shame to have that go away.

dontdo_that
06-09-2008, 11:14 AM
the real reason that this toll road is to happen is all that land out there that can developed and turned into another temecula type development... there are lots of people that would like to pave the entire world for a buck

You are absolutely correct... in fact there already is a neighborhood that supports this development largely for that reason - it brings more traffic to their town, increasing the value of their real estate and bringing more commerce. Its called Rancho Santa Margarita. I don't know anything about this community, but check out the first link I provided that is in favor of the toll road development.

There are also some folks who believe that one of the possible solutions to easing traffic would be to simply "free" the toll roads by making them free of charge. I think this would be a good idea, since they argue that we are paying for toll roads in our taxes anyway so we should be permitted to use them without fees, especially if the traffic situation is getting as bad as it is.