PDA

View Full Version : New Toy!

jrallan26
05-26-2008, 04:10 PM
Just bought a new Garmin Nuvi 760 gps system. Bought it on the net for 350 bucks brand new!!

4runnerchevy
05-26-2008, 04:13 PM
Gosh ! Thats Super ! :shake:

Good Times
05-27-2008, 06:37 PM
cool great price! how's the traffic integration feature? I know Garmin includes a 3 month trial but is it worth the integrated piece or just another "$$ feature" that drains you every month after the trial is up?

how's the usability on the ui for garmin? I've got an old garmin and wondering if the new touchscreen interface is much easier. I'm guessing it's the same but I figure I'd ask since I'm looking for a new gps for the sig other so I don't get random calls asking for real-time directions over the phone. lol

jrallan26
05-27-2008, 10:33 PM
It is so easy to use. I am using this one to replace my 60cs. There is no comparacion.

Nick
05-29-2008, 10:37 PM
The UI is very easy. 4.3in widescreen is great and a lot easier to use then the smaller 3 inch units, which I think are out of th picture. I had a Nuvi 680 for a few months and there's nothing to it. Big, easy buttons. I didn't use the MSN traffic/weather direct so I can't comment on that particular feature. but if by old Garmin you mean the older units such as the hand held ones, I have an eTrex Legend from what seems like forever ago and they don't compare, like apples and tin cans!

The SiRF star III chipset is top notch. It locks FAST in urban areas, dense wooded sections and the likes. It easily gets a signal indoors, away from my windows. This is very important because, you want the GPS to keep up with where you are and these Nuvis certainly do. They're accurate and re-routing, should you miss a turn, is fast.

My only complaint? While Garmin has the best suction cup mount when compared to Tom-Tom or Magellan units...IMO, suction cup mounts SUCK. Mine kept falling off ( as per my destroyed suspension, possibly) and I wound up getting the friction dashboard mount and that worked very well...and didn't leave prints on the windshield for the thieves to see and assume (correctly) that the GPS and mount are right there in your glove compartment.

Seanz0rz
05-29-2008, 11:09 PM
that SiRF star III chipset is truly awesome. im waiting for IV to come out, should be soon (or just came out)

glad you are happy, been thinking about getting dad one for x-mas. ill have to look at this one when it comes time. thanks for sharing! you know we all love our gadgets here. well at least most of us....

Robinhood4x4
05-31-2008, 05:27 PM
Just bought a new Garmin Nuvi 760 gps system. Bought it on the net for 350 bucks brand new!!

So where'd you get it for that price? My go-to place for gps lists it for $477 plus shipping

jrallan26
05-31-2008, 09:41 PM
ebay

Robinhood4x4
05-31-2008, 11:44 PM
Well, let us know what you think about it. My garmin legend is on it's last legs.

Good Times
06-01-2008, 06:20 AM
Steve,

Costco is selling those for the same price w/ coupon (the one they mail out). I'm pretty certain it was the same model for the same price for sometime in July. I can check for ya when I get to the office cuz I left the coupon booklet there.

Robinhood4x4
06-01-2008, 06:46 AM
Yeah, I just saw that last night in my costco magazine.

jrallan26
06-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Update. My Garmin took a drirt nap last night. I called Garmin this morning and am getting a direct replacement via UPS next day air.

Hopefully this one will last. The one thing I did not like about the 760 is the cheesy mount. I replaced it with a vent mount. Much better.

Pics to follow...

jrallan26
06-20-2008, 12:18 AM
For the traffic feature you have to buy the special cord. That was 200 bucks. I passed.

cool great price! how's the traffic integration feature? I know Garmin includes a 3 month trial but is it worth the integrated piece or just another "$$ feature" that drains you every month after the trial is up?

how's the usability on the ui for garmin? I've got an old garmin and wondering if the new touchscreen interface is much easier. I'm guessing it's the same but I figure I'd ask since I'm looking for a new gps for the sig other so I don't get random calls asking for real-time directions over the phone. lol

cooldry
06-20-2008, 08:32 AM
Just out of curiosity, is it worth getting the 760 over one of the lower nuvi's. Other than direction and POI, what other features do you really use with the GPS. I don't think I'd ever use the mp3 option or blue tooth features.

jrallan26
06-20-2008, 11:55 AM
I dont use the mp3 option but I use the bluetooth all the time. Great option. Also I like the bigger screen.