PDA

View Full Version : Done with Optima, on to Odyssey

Tanto
05-29-2008, 04:41 PM
After my bad Optima Redtop experience, I settled to buy a Odyssey battery that will supposedly be a direct replacement so I shouldn't need to fabricate/buy a bracket but we'll see. After returning from a 4 month deployment and my friend only driving it about once a month, the shitty makeshift Interstate was dead this morning when I started it up to go to work but almost had enough juice to turn over after work.

I'm sick and tired of having my battery die out on me. For all of you who missed my thread detailing my experience with my Optima RedTop, my alternator output is well within normal specifications.

Will post pictures and any problems with the install since I haven't heard of many people using this battery on the boards.

Seanz0rz
05-29-2008, 04:48 PM
thanks! im on my 2nd duralast battery after 4 months killed the first one i had, and this one is starting to spew out the top. probably time for a real battery. scared to go the optima route because of experiences like yours.

Tanto
05-29-2008, 05:54 PM
Well, I'll tell you that they are not cheap: about $250.

RobG
05-29-2008, 06:49 PM
Curious which size you get, the guy at the auto parts store recommended the small one which was about half the size of my current battery. The next size up was like $250 so that sounds like the one you are getting. The small one looks liked it would be great for a dual battery setup with limited space.

My Red Top came back to life a good charge so I didn't wind up getting one.

Good Times
05-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Ryan have you looked into Exide batteries? I've been talking to Frank here and there and that's my next set of batteries for my truck.

Tanto
05-29-2008, 09:14 PM
Lance,

Yes, I looked into the Exide batteries but my truck is likely to spend long periods of time without being turned on and even with disconnecting the battery leads I wanted the best. The aggravation caused by problems since I got the RedTop and now this battery has frustrated the hell out of me.

Nick
05-29-2008, 09:38 PM
Odyssey claims something like a 2 year standby when charged. I've done outrageous things with mine, heavy, heavy loads and I've been careless, letting it drain almost completely. It recharges like new. Never had to jump start it. The truck sat for two months when I was in basic training and started right back up when I came to get it. It didn't sound like it struggled or anything, just a regular, clean start. I didn't disconnect anything and my head unit blinks a little red LED which I guess is some kind of parasitic drain for sure.

I have a PC1700T. They come in MJ (metal jacket versions) but mine is for cold weather. I'll be blunt with you: this is the last battery you'll ever by or consider buying. Expensive, yeah? Worth it? Yeah.

PC1500 will fit. PC1700 is a great fit, much bigger then the stock battery but drops right in. Weights like 60 lbs? I remember the FEDEX guy carrying it and looking absolutely dumbstruck, he asked me what was in the box, because it was the 'heaviest small thing' he's ever lifted. Anyway, It fits fine into the holder, but it's too short, alas. I put a piece of wood under mine for now. Other then that, great stuff. Don't know how high the PC1500 is and if it will have the same fit issue. Minor but you should know.

Good luck. My mechanic sells Exide stuff. He tells me that a lot of Optimas crap out, audio shops sell them and they're considered high end by his customers, and while some work great, an alarming many (for their cost and reputation) crap out.

Jerm
05-30-2008, 12:08 AM
I would have to say that I have never had an issue with any of my optima batteries, but I am very interested in going to an odyssey. I have read and heard alot of great things about them. With the issues that you had you probably made a great choice in buying on. I look forward to hearing about your experience with them.

Tanto
06-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Well, I got mine last night and yeah it is a pig to lug around to the apartment but I plan on putting it into my truck tonight. There are two versions of the one that was sent to me, one having the terminals reversed but the guy on the phone was knowledgeable enough to pull up the right battery in no time.

I will post pictures tonight after the install.

4Mogger
06-04-2008, 05:04 PM
If you think that is a pig, I have two 2150's in my 4Runner!

bigwapitijohnny
06-04-2008, 05:44 PM
I have read that the Sears Platinum series battery is a 're-badged' Odyssey. I came across an email in which the manufacturer of the Odyssey battery admitted that it was so. Price point is better as well. When and if my red-top goes out, I am going with that :thumbup:.

Regards,

BWJ

Nick
06-04-2008, 06:46 PM
If you think that is a pig, I have two 2150's in my 4Runner!

and where exactly did you stuff them ?~! My-my! I thought about adding a smaller Odyssey as a back-up/starter, but, TWO 2150s?

Good Times
06-04-2008, 07:39 PM
I have read that the Sears Platinum series battery is a 're-badged' Odyssey. I came across an email in which the manufacturer of the Odyssey battery admitted that it was so. Price point is better as well. When and if my red-top goes out, I am going with that :thumbup:.

Regards,

BWJ

Wow I didn't know about that one. I'm gonna check out the pricing on the sears stuff :) may have to go this route myself when both my dual yellows die. Thanks!

bigwapitijohnny
06-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Lance,

Here is the information about the re-badged Odyssey: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14285&referrerid=1627See post #10 :thumbup:

Enjoy,

BWJ

Good Times
06-04-2008, 08:39 PM
AWESOME!

now I just have to make sure both my dual yellows are dead ;)

YotaFun
06-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Well my bat is going dead slowly, I guess I will be picking up one of those soon :-)

reggie 00
06-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Nice price.

Even nicer warranty.
Even if they are slightly modified and not a true Odyssey, the warranty makes it worth it imo.

Tanto
06-05-2008, 06:11 PM
I just finished installing the Odyssey battery and it was not a perfect fit but reasonable. The battery is about 5/8" taller than the interstate I had in there before and it is about 3/4" narrower. Since I replaced the OEM terminal leads with marine-type that allowed my lights to be connected more efficiently so with the added height I did use a couple zip ties to make sure that the positive lead cover was in between the hood and the terminal. There is still a gap between the hood and the positive terminal but I didn't want to risk the cover coming off and zapping my battery.

I will add pictures once I get back from turning in my old battery tonight.

tulsa_sr5
06-05-2008, 07:16 PM
I did use a couple zip ties to make sure that the positive lead cover was in between the hood and the terminal. There is still a gap between the hood and the positive terminal but I didn't want to risk the cover coming off and zapping my battery.

I saw on Top Gear, the one where they drove old cars across africa, a piece of cardboard on top of the battery is the preferred method to prevent shorts from the hood touching.

Tanto
06-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Here's the pictures. It's the only part under the hood that DOESN'T have dust on it from Baja!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e110/dfireballd/DSC_0454.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e110/dfireballd/DSC_0455.jpg

BruceTS
06-05-2008, 10:02 PM
get a set of these clamps......

http://www.knowwhere2jeep.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=5220

once my batteries die, that's the next type I plan to go to. Somewhere I heard Odyssey is making the Sears Diehard battery now.

ETRNL
06-06-2008, 12:36 AM
i dont know what the output of the battery you put in is but i do know the one i have has lasted me since '04 so far including a 4 month and a 6month deployment. i have also tested it cca at autozone and checkers and have got 1017cca from both places. it is however a RV battery so i have to mount it on its side but is is a gel cell and has terminals on the top and side. this pic isnt the greatest but it is all i could find right now. i can get better pics if there is an intrest.
EXIDE ORBITAL
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j106/ETRNL/100_1893.jpg

Tanto
06-06-2008, 11:31 AM
The cranking amps for the PC1400 series is 1400a for 5 seconds. Turns over like a champ.

I think Lance mentioned the Exide batteries on the previous page.

Bruce, the batteries you're referring to are the Sears Platinum line that is just a rebadged Odyssey.

Tanto
06-06-2008, 11:34 AM
get a set of these clamps......

http://www.knowwhere2jeep.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=5220

once my batteries die, that's the next type I plan to go to. Somewhere I heard Odyssey is making the Sears Diehard battery now.

The marine style I have now are also lead, but I like how the ones you linked allow for my setup to be run flush on the side.