PDA

View Full Version : Magnaflow Exhaust

warrior3313
06-05-2008, 09:49 PM
I installed my Magnaflow Exhaust on my V6 today. Very happy with it so far but i want to make it sound better (louder) any suggestions on how to go about doing that. I was thinking of modifying the cat but dont know how too. Has anybody done anything like this to their 4runner. My Magnaflow is a cat back system. starts right after the y pipe from the headers.

Bob98SR5
06-05-2008, 10:08 PM
get another muffler. im not being an arse, but thats about your best option. exhausts are tuned differently.

one thing i'd caution is that the louder you go (what you hear on the street), the worse it generally sounds at highway speeds. its like a drone and it seems over the years, people try to lessen the sound of highway drone...and end up getting a quieter muffler

:)

4runnerchevy
06-05-2008, 10:40 PM
:headscratch: Just start drilling holes and you to can sound like that little honda next door :flipoff:

warrior3313
06-06-2008, 07:27 AM
lol i dont want that little rice rocket sound. I want a more throaty sound. Moding the cats wont do anything? has anyone done anything like this with the cats?

04 Rocko Taco
06-06-2008, 07:29 AM
to get that throaty sound, you can A) buy a flowmaster. B) swap in a bigger motor. C) use 3" exhaust pipe the whole way through with high flow cats, and a loud muffler, and lose every single bit of performance or power your motor has.

Tankota
06-06-2008, 07:56 AM
I ran a magnaflow on my 22r for a couple years. I initially like the sound, but after I put in test pipe in place of my cat (kept burning up cats) the drone under load was just too much. It had way too much interior resonance.
Currently I run a Flomaster 40 series and it sounds wicked! People constantly ask me if I'm running a V8 under the hood.
Keep in mind that I also have a good set of headers and a lopey cam.

xonetruthcrewx
06-06-2008, 06:37 PM
Ditch the cat and run straight pipe with a 18" or so resonator. It will sound great and give you a boost in power. It will throw a CEL though due the fact the after cat O2 sensor. There are things out there to trick the car in to thinking the O2 sensor is getting a good reading.

4runnerchevy
06-07-2008, 04:54 AM
to get that throaty sound, you can A) buy a flowmaster. B) swap in a bigger motor. C) use 3" exhaust pipe the whole way through with high flow cats, and a loud muffler, and lose every single bit of performance or power your motor has.

Hey wait a second Chris, A) I run a Flowmaster B) I have a Bigger Motor C) I run 2.5" exhaust (stock) with a high flow cat. I also have plenty of performance and enough power to spin 36" tires. :flipoff: lol. I know what your saying though. My engine was not designed to run 3" exhaust so I run stuck pipe.

Ditch the cat and run straight pipe with a 18" or so resonator. It will sound great and give you a boost in power. It will throw a CEL though due the fact the after cat O2 sensor. There are things out there to trick the car in to thinking the O2 sensor is getting a good reading.

If you want throat do this, and put black tape over your CEL so it doesn't bother you.