PDA

View Full Version : Glass Replacment Question

garrett
04-01-2007, 01:28 PM
Please spare me the questions, I just need to get this fixed for now.

1998 4Runner: My passenger cargo window broke. Couple questions... Do I need to get new weather stripping from the dealer or will an auto glass place provide/install that? Also, this window comes from the factory with some tint on it, will a replacement piece already have tint or will I need to tell them just to match the tint on the other window.

I would call around but it's Sunday so I figured yall are my next best resource...

Thanks. :(

oly884
04-01-2007, 01:54 PM
Well, don't quote me on this. But I imagine that an auto glass place would provide and install the new weather stripping.

As for the tint, I'd just ask them, but I can see it going both ways. Since it's only a factory tint, I could see them carrying replacement windows with the factory tint already on them.

Robinhood4x4
04-01-2007, 01:56 PM
3rd gen 4runners are a little different than the 2nd gens in how the windows attach to the truck, but it's the same idea. Basically, all the molding that goes around the window is integral to the glass. When you buy the glass, everything comes with it.

Different colors of 4runners might have different colors of tint.

http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=498.0

MTL_4runner
04-01-2007, 02:18 PM
Yes, most rear cargo glass comes with the weather stripping but make sure to ask if it is included in the price when you get it done. I'm not sure if the rears had different tints or not. I know for sure the front and side roll up windows did come in different flavors (ie you can get a green tint or a "rose" tint front windshield and same went for the side rollup windows). The tint usually depended on where the vehicle was sold (northeast usually got green, southwest got rose, etc).

garrett
04-01-2007, 02:20 PM
Cool, thanks guys! Eases my mind a bit, I need to get this done soon...

localmotion
04-01-2007, 05:23 PM
why dont you call? Dont forget to get multiple estimates and buy QUALITY glass. Dont get any of the cheap stuff...just my .02

garrett
04-01-2007, 05:55 PM
why dont you call?

i dont know.

I would call around but it's Sunday so I figured yall are my next best resource...

why don't you read? :flipoff:

Bob98SR5
04-01-2007, 06:15 PM
garrett,

steve is right: the window is integrated with the rubber moulding. along with that, there are plugs in the moulding that will allow it to be snapped into holes in the body panel.

the window replacement guy should remove the old window, put some black slime sealant/adhesive, and snap the window in place.

the window is pre-tinted and you should buy oem if you want it to look good. trust me, if its off by even 2-3%, you'll notice.

i think i have a picture somewhere of this entire window assembly

bob

garrett
04-01-2007, 08:01 PM
thanks bob! PM'd you!

Bob98SR5
04-01-2007, 08:33 PM
garrett,

i had a shaky window that would tap like a fargin' woodpecker on certain days and on certain types of roads. what i ended up doing was i went to my friend's body shop and he called up his window guy. the guy took a right angled reciprocating blade, cut beneath the seal, and pulled out the window. the recip blade took care of the plugs like a hot knife thru butter.

why i bring this up is that if you plan on doing this yourself, you will have to contend with the cutting and mounting. i think its not insurmountable, but how you get through the seal and the plugs w/o specialized tools is beyond me. ask steve, he'll know from a 2nd gen perspective, but the 2nd gens are affixed in a differnt way.

i would do some compairson shopping first and if too expensive, call a toyota parts vendor like evan at northridge toyota to get a price quote and hopefully a diagram.

bob

garrett
04-02-2007, 12:14 AM
On toyotapartsales.com, it shows two different tints: gray or green. How do i know if i have the gray or green factory tint...? Will a glass place or dealer be able to tell?

localmotion
04-02-2007, 05:14 AM
the dealer will be able to tell. I think the green is the one without tint and the gray is the one with tint?

Call them and ask which one has the tint.

MTL_4runner
04-02-2007, 05:40 AM
Garrett, take your truck to a good glass replacement professional, they'll know right away when they see it which one you should to order. I didn't know there were different glass tints either until I went to a shop myself and the guy took one look at the windshield and knew right away which one I needed (that's when he told me about the other tint types).

localmotion
04-02-2007, 05:48 AM
I think he is trying to order factory glass. If he gets it form the dealer, there should only be 2 types of glass, tint or no tint.

MTL_4runner
04-02-2007, 06:06 AM
I haven't had to replace the cargo area glass on mine so I'll be curious to hear what the answer is on this.

Lee
04-02-2007, 06:09 AM
good info for the inevitable, bob :thumbup:

ADH8796
04-02-2007, 01:10 PM
Here are some pics of his window.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q294/aharder_album/Disney/IM000396.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q294/aharder_album/Disney/IM000397.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q294/aharder_album/Disney/IM000395.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q294/aharder_album/Disney/IM000394.jpg
After all the window stuff from the tree some dude on a 4wheeler backed into his door what an idiot I was seriously about to punch that guy.

localmotion
04-02-2007, 06:19 PM
oh man..that looks worse than you described! Good luck with the window situation.

some guy backed into your door???did u get his info? Did you run him over?