PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Lift Storage - Inside or Out?

RobG
06-11-2008, 08:18 AM
So I'm trying to make some more room inside and am thinking about putting my Hi-Lift on the rear bumper. It's been in side the 4runner in pieces for 3 years and still looks brand new. My buddy has his on his rear carrier and it didn't work the last time he needed it.

I've seen the full cases, hard and soft, not sure if I like them or can fit the hard case.

Anyone that stores their high lift outside have any good or bad experiences? Do you cover it, how often do you maintain it?

Thanks

BruceTS
06-11-2008, 08:43 AM
If you store it outside, you will most likely need to use some sort of lubricant before usage. Dirt has a tendency to gum up the works, especially if it's still new. Mine gets used so much that all the rough edges are worn down and it works like a champ everytime without lubing...

A word of advice.....If you haven't used a Hi-Lift much, practice with it and get familiar with the mechanics, it will save you alot of headache on the trail.

Seanz0rz
06-11-2008, 11:42 AM
i will be storing mine outside starting in a few weeks (actually, it will be stored in my garage, and only on the truck when i plan a trip, or even think that i might be offroad).

i will be making mounts to have it on the front bumper until i can fab up a rear bumper.

4runnerchevy
06-11-2008, 03:45 PM
Mine lives outside, like stated earlier keep it lubed. I spray some Kroil on mine every once in a while.

Robinhood4x4
06-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Us californians and arizonans don't have to worry too much about rust. Mine's been outside for years now and I just have to give it a squirt of wd40 before use and it works just fine.

RobG
06-11-2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks Guys. If I can fit it on the rear bumper Looks like I will. If I store it off the truck thats just one more thing to load/forget, besides it's not my daily driver anymore.

So do you recommend keep it lubed (picks up more dirt?) or lubing it when you use it? And what is Kroll?

Bruce thanks for the warning, I experienced the free fall feature the other day right after I read the warning. With all the bad press these things get I'm very wary of it. Gotta see if the OEM jack still works for me.

4x4mike
06-11-2008, 10:22 PM
When I had my truck my hi lift lived in the bed since the day I got it. It needed some oil or "lube" every once in a while. We don't have problems with rust but I made sure mine was always painted. It lived in the bed because there was no where else to put it. The 4runner is small. If I'm packed for a trip I'm not sure where I'd put it and I'm not sure I would want the extra weight. My truck could travel fine with loads, actually it traveled best fully loaded, the 4runner is a different story. Anyways where ever it goes it needs to be secured so it doesn't go flying and so it doesn't get stolen. A lot of mounting that I have seen people do on roof racks is not secure enough. If the SOB goes flying and lands on your hood you know you need bigger zip ties.

4runnerchevy
06-12-2008, 06:47 AM
So do you recommend keep it lubed (picks up more dirt?) or lubing it when you use it? And what is Kroll?

Kroil is a penetrating oil that is produced by a company called Kano. It is in a Orange can and works wonders on rusty bolts. I use the stuff called Sili-Kroil which contains silicone and it doesn't remain soupy, so it picks up less dirt. Its more exspensive then WD but it blows WD away.

Robinhood4x4
06-12-2008, 06:50 AM
I'd probably say lube it before use rather than keeping it wet all the time.

04 Rocko Taco
06-12-2008, 07:28 AM
Mine is like Bruce's so well worn it works without lube, everytime.

I store mine inside attached to the stock roll bar in my '84 4Crawler style (although I made a custom mount, and didn't use his)

Willman
06-24-2008, 10:49 PM
Mine lives outside....

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f374/nicwillman/DSC02186.jpg

:)

ecchamberlin
06-24-2008, 11:16 PM
I have the shorter model and it is inside behind the back seat. I live/play near the ocean a lot so since it fit inside and I had no place to mount it outside, that is just where it ended up. I have mine with me all the time since it is the only way for me to change a flat tire which has happened a time or 2.

I think if you have the space to put it out of the elements then it makes sense. If not then like said do good preventative maintanace on it.

RobG
06-25-2008, 05:47 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses.

I'm putting together a rear bumper and trying to make the Hi-lift fit but it's not going quite as well I'd like. I wanted to keep it fully assembled but it doesn't look like that will happen. I will either remove the base and copy what Bruce did on his latest bumper or it may go back inside for the time being.

The 48" bar actually fits nicely under the rear seats of the 2nd gen 4runner then I just store the other parts in my gear bag.

Hopefully I'll have something figured out with bumper storage next week.

randver
06-27-2008, 12:44 AM
im all for keeping it in side

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee94/docadw/offroad/dec3107003.jpg

Roadrunner
07-08-2008, 07:56 AM
I usually have mine bolted to the front bumper for offroad excursions:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/DC_Magoo/DSC05145.jpg

93yotasr5
08-31-2010, 10:09 PM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e111/unkle_elroy/a40ab5a1.jpg
Here's mine. Been outside for about 6 months so far so good. Just keep it lubes and clean.

93yotasr5
08-31-2010, 10:12 PM
Here's another pic
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e111/unkle_elroy/c0d25e3d.jpg

Scuba
09-01-2010, 12:53 AM
My 60" just barely fits in my over the rails style tool box in the bed of my Tacoma.
No pics.
I've read if it needs lubed on the trail in a pinch to pee on it..

Seanz0rz
09-01-2010, 06:59 AM
mine lived inside for a long time, but with my sub box on the side, i had to either set it cross ways (ruining my cargo area) or fold a seat down (ruining my passenger area)

now it lives outside. i always carry wd40 with me anyway, and i found i had to lube it every time even when it was in the truck.

04 Rocko Taco
09-01-2010, 07:05 AM
I used lithium grease on mine (which I think it says not to) and it lives "in" my cargo area, but as I don't have any roof, or side, or windows, or doors, its basically outside. lol. It's always been there, it will always be there. lol.