PDA

View Full Version : Quick Rifle Question

reggie 00
06-11-2008, 08:58 PM
So i got an old Mauser a couple months ago to do a sporterizing on.
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n74/reggiemiller00/IMG_0268_edited.jpg

Picked up a stock this week over at Midway for 58% off.
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n74/reggiemiller00/IMG_0267_edited.jpg

I keep going back and forth on what caliber i want to do.
I am not looking for the end all be all. If i did that i wouldn't need any other guns and that isn't going to fly, right Fuster?

Right now i am thinking 260 Remington.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.260_Remington

Anyone have any thoughts. The deer around here are not that big. And like i said i have designs to get more rifles in a variety of calibers. I am just shooting for different right now.

I can get the barrel over at midway for under $100. That plus what i have into the project so far plus some minor gunsmithing should put it just under $500.

Anyone done a sporterizing project?

oly884
06-11-2008, 09:10 PM
I've got a .300 Weatherby Magnum that is brutal on my shoulder, but it is so fun to shoot. My brother has a .270 that is a great gun. I'd suggest picking a few calibers and then taking a look at available ammo to get an idea what it's going to cost for you to shoot. I'd suggest something more widely available and cheaper so it won't break the bank to go shooting.

Robinhood4x4
06-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Do you reload? If not, I'd look into something where the ammo is cheap and plentiful. You'll want to try a bunch of different factory rounds until you find the one the gun likes. .270, 30'06, 243, etc.

reggie 00
06-11-2008, 09:45 PM
.300 mag is a cool round.
I'm thinking of putting one together using a Howa Action.

a .270 is a definite on the locker just not yet.

I kind of have to stick to .308 and smaller.
I have a tricky action, i cant use .30-06 and up without extensive smithing.

The .260 isn't bad ammo wise. I looked up Federal rounds at 1.80 each
The .308 is running for the same type at 1.65.

Cost isn't so much a concern as is fun ability and different.

I guess what i am looking for is first hand horror stories concerning the .260

My first choice was going to be the .338 Federal but they havent decided to make the barrels yet, at least in the price range i am shooting for.

reggie 00
06-11-2008, 09:49 PM
Do you reload? If not, I'd look into something where the ammo is cheap and plentiful. You'll want to try a bunch of different factory rounds until you find the one the gun likes. .270, 30'06, 243, etc.

:)
Not that rich. to do that i would have to get a barrel for each type.
Which isn't to far out of what i want, but would take a while.

I would like to start Reloading, its in the plan.
From what i have been reading its get the rifle set up and then cycle thru different rounds/powders till you find the happy medium.

4x4mike
06-11-2008, 10:27 PM
I was going to ask whether you reload. If you shoot a bunch you might want to look into it. I wish I had the time to shoot and reload and the money to support both. Are you only going after deer with this rifle? What distance are you looking at? I was going to say .270 and 30.06 because of the punch and versatility.

reggie 00
06-12-2008, 09:09 PM
.30-06 i cant do in this action.

Deer and pig.

The deer around here are not really that big.
I would almost say there are pigs bigger.

I havent got in to it real hard but there seems to be some pretty decent Starter systems avail on Midway for reloading. It would be a decent hit up front but i dont think it would take to long to recoup the initial moneys.
Especially if you do multiple types.
I would need .45, 9mm, .260, and maybe .327 since i say and got interested in that new revolver from Ruger http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunition/st327_110707/.

oly884
06-12-2008, 09:58 PM
Sounds like a .308 would treat you quite nicely from the sounds of it. My buddy got his white tail deer and big ol' elk with his .308

It's a good caliber, but I still like my 300 Weatherby more.

Robinhood4x4
06-12-2008, 10:01 PM
My friend and I were talking about getting him a setup for reloading. You should look at ebay, there were a couple people selling their whole setup.

Here's a calculator on what it costs to reload and you can figure out what the prices of things like powder are on midway. That will give you a high estimate since you can find components cheaper than midway.
http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

The thing is, to get the cost savings you have to buy in bulk and therefore must shoot a lot. Think in terms of buying 500-1000 rounds of ammo at a time. This is much easier to do with handguns and AR's than deer rifles. However, you don't really reload for deer rifles because it's cheaper. You reload to find the bullet that gives the optimum accuracy.

reggie 00
06-12-2008, 10:35 PM
Sounds like a .308 would treat you quite nicely from the sounds of it. My buddy got his white tail deer and big ol' elk with his .308

It's a good caliber, but I still like my 300 Weatherby more.

I agree, i like the .308 it is going to find a home in my cabinet.

What i guess i was looking for an horror stories concerning the .260

The .308 was actually my first choice. But then i have a tendency to try to be different.

Looking at the ballistics for the .260, they dont look that far off from comparable weight .30-06 .

My friend and I were talking about getting him a setup for reloading. You should look at ebay, there were a couple people selling their whole setup.

Here's a calculator on what it costs to reload and you can figure out what the prices of things like powder are on midway. That will give you a high estimate since you can find components cheaper than midway.
http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

The thing is, to get the cost savings you have to buy in bulk and therefore must shoot a lot. Think in terms of buying 500-1000 rounds of ammo at a time. This is much easier to do with handguns and AR's than deer rifles. However, you don't really reload for deer rifles because it's cheaper. You reload to find the bullet that gives the optimum accuracy.

Thanks for the Calc.

I agree, volume is the only way.
Its not hard for me to go thru 200 rnds at the range and still want to do more.

And i agree 100% rifles really only need to be hand loaded except for accuracy.

Bajabwk
06-12-2008, 11:39 PM
If your looking for a great deer caliber i would go with a win .270 i shot one for years and its notorious for being one of flattest shooting rifle rounds out there. meaning there isnt alot of elevation variation across the natural arc of the bullet. Right now in order to knock down elk im shooting a 30-06 and love it. it is pretty heavy for deer though. we reload so we powder down and use a less grain bullet for deer and antelope. the Model 70 Winchester is one of the best actions out there aswell. it comes in many different calibers.... those are my thoughts haha