PDA

View Full Version : Since we're on the subject of lawn mowers...

Robinhood4x4
04-01-2007, 04:32 PM
So I just bought a house and need a lawn mower. I don't know anything about lawn mowers because when I was a kid I mowed our fields with a big john deere tractor. I do know that small engines can be a pain to keep running over the years.

The front yard is only about 25ft by 15ft and the future back yard will probably be about the same. How are electric mowers? For this size lawn can I get by with an electric or do I have to go to gas?

MTL_4runner
04-01-2007, 04:52 PM
Heck, one that small you could do with a weedwacker.

:P

The electric mowers are pretty quiet and do a good job as long as you don't let the lawn get too out of control. Once the grass gets long (or very wet) they SUCK....gas is way better. I'd probably just get a super cheap side discharge mower which are available everywhere, very light to push around and have no cord. If you want to go a little more green, then go the electric route, but you'll be constantly tethered. don't even bother looking at the battery powered ones, the technology just isn't there yet to make something worth buying.

Piett
04-01-2007, 05:24 PM
Another friend has an electric for a lawn that is smaller than yours. It was discounted by the local air board since they want to avoid small gas engine exhaust. He really likes it: quiet, no hassle of having gas around and easy to start.

Getting to the edge of your lawn looks to be a fairly long distance. I'd see how long a cord that would be.

You should get a goat, then you can make goat cheese too. Bahhhhh...

Seanz0rz
04-01-2007, 05:54 PM
we just bought a craftsman lawn mower. its gas and has an electric start, wonderful mower and no more pulling on that stupid cord!!!

as for electrics, they are leagues better than the old ones that appeared in the 90's. get a name brand (something you recognize) at a major retailer. that way you can always find parts and accessories for it.

Robinhood4x4
04-01-2007, 09:51 PM
I wasn't even considering battery ones. The electrics sound promising though.

Miki wants a goat. She wants to make goat cheese. I don't think the Nazi HOA will allow it though.

Piett
04-01-2007, 11:09 PM
The goat will need to eat more than your lawn can provide. Let the goat trims the neighbors lawns and they won't care.

habanero
04-02-2007, 05:13 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/smcr/AutomowerG2_200x240.jpg :D

Paul H.
04-02-2007, 05:23 PM
get one of the old fashion push mowers. great exercise.

Robinhood4x4
04-02-2007, 06:45 PM
get one of the old fashion push mowers. great exercise.
My old room mate had one of those. No way, too much work.

habanero
04-02-2007, 08:11 PM
If you use a camelback it's not work, it's exercise. Unless it includes padded shorts and jersey. Then it's just plain fun. :P

Robinhood4x4
04-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Dammit! I was doing research and I just found out electric lawn mowers aren't manly!

I'm going to go mope and drive around in my miata now...

kmcc78240
04-06-2007, 12:31 PM
I was given an electric Black and Decker, Works pretty good My yard is about your size 25 by 20. Takes all of 10-15 minutes. Does pretty well. I like I don't have to gas it up pull start, change the oil. I grew up with a gas mower however that yard was way bigger

localmotion
04-06-2007, 01:19 PM
go Honda or go home! LOL